Pedal Assist Only

1938dodge

My wife would like a new electric bike to replace our aging GIANT Lite which are pedal assist only. She does not like the throttle and would prefer a step thru or traditional "girls style" frame.
Please offer any suggestions.
Thanks,
Michael

Also @1938dodge , use the advanced search feature on EBR, choose the 'show more filters' and then select the 'drive mode' and there's several types of pedal assist to choose from, then hit that search button and have fun reading. There's lots to choose from and please remember that many pedal assist bikes have a throttle on them, but that doesn't mean you need to use it! :)

Take a look at the Easy Motion EVO Street or EVO City ebike. Step-thru model with adjustable handlebars (no tools needed). Has a throttle but you never have to use it because it has excellent torque sensing pedal assist.

Also @1938dodge , use the advanced search feature on EBR, choose the 'show more filters' and then select the 'drive mode' and there's several types of pedal assist to choose from, then hit that search button and have fun reading. There's lots to choose from and please remember that many pedal assist bikes have a throttle on them, but that doesn't mean you need to use it! :)
Dear Anne, that feature will not get you to a listing of Class 1 (pedal assist only) bikes. It simply led me thru almost every bike ever reviewed. My bride is quite insistant that she wants a pedal assist only bike. I think she feels that once a throttle is available a throttle will be used. Is there another way to search for these bikes? Thanks Michael

Dear Anne, that feature will not get you to a listing of Class 1 (pedal assist only) bikes. It simply led me thru almost every bike ever reviewed. My bride is quite insistant that she wants a pedal assist only bike. I think she feels that once a throttle is available a throttle will be used. Is there another way to search for these bikes? Thanks Michael

The Easy Motion bikes are either/or - the throttle will not work when the bike is in pedal assist mode (and vice versa). Alternately, you could probably simply remove the throttle. Most bikes that are currently pedal assist only are the high end mid-drive bikes that cost $3,500 and up. I'm sure there might be some out there, but you'd be severely limiting your options and probably ending up with an overall bike that your wife won't enjoy riding.

Another option is to have your wife choose a bike which she likes/loves and convert it with an add on system such as Bionx as my wife did with her Raleigh as seen in the pictures. Would not have been my choice for her but she loves it and when the wife is happy, everyone is happy, lol. No need for throttle. Pedelec assist is best available plus regenerative mode. Best of luck.

Attachments

• 20150526_175027.jpg
    20150526_175027.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 375
Last edited:
The fact that a throttle might exist on an ebike does not mean the rider has to use it or that they'll even want to use it. Except for trying it out a couple times, I never use the throttle on my Easy Motion EVO bike. Plus, once in a pedal assist mode, the throttle doesn't work at all -- you have to be in an unassisted mode before the throttle can be used.

"A man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Maybe this is a case of: A women knows her limitations! If she feels if she has a throttle she may use it, that's good information to know before purchasing. It will likely limit lower cost options though. You could call an Easy Motion dealer and find out if the throttle can be removed.

Sorry, Michael! Didn't mean to throw a monkey wrench into the mess :). It would be good to be able to do a search by class.

The throttle on my EVO Street is not obvious. In other words, if you didn't know there was a throttle there, you could miss noticing it.

I've got a new small step thru Stromer ST1 elite (black) for $2500. Stromer makes excellent bikes and does not believe in a throttle. PM me if interested.

My wife would like a new electric bike to replace our aging GIANT Lite which are pedal assist only. She does not like the throttle and would prefer a step thru or traditional "girls style" frame.
Please offer any suggestions.
Thanks,
Michael

Michael,

Tara. D's choices are top notch. They are some of the best PAS only bikes. Nothing beats a test ride.

Back