PDX eBike Expo cancelled

JRA

Because of the eclipse......seems kind of lame to me as the eclipse is the 21st and it was for the 19th-20th. Also the fact that there will be lots of people here for the event that they could have captured the attention of also.

Was disappointed in last years event @ Lloyd Center and looking forward to it being held at Portland Meadows where ther might have been better testing opportunities.

Agree - totally lame excuse! The path of the eclipse is 60 miles or less away, is only for 2 minutes, and is on the following Monday!

I think it is more likely related to logistics because of the eclipse. Portland is a prime destination for it. I heard a buddy mention that hotels are all booked and there are over twenty thousand vehicles rented requiring them to bring cars in from other areas to meet demand.

So, not because of the eclipse itself, but rather it's impact!

"So, not because of the eclipse itself, but rather it's impact!"

I get that that is what they are probably thinking, but to me as I said they are missing an opportunity for potentially more attendance and I doubt that people were coming in from far enough away for the event to need much for hotel rooms. I'll have to ask the local eBike Store for their input as they displayed there last year. I guess I just don't get the bru ha ha over the eclipse as I have seen them before and only plan on viewing this one marginally as it goes by.

Now that makes a little more sense... Maybe tough for the ebike manufacturers' employees to get rooms, rental cars etc.
I'm heading up near Jackson WY to check out the eclipse, and will be dispersed camping (with emtb) in the national forest!

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm planning to be parked just north of the path of totality on the night of the 20th, and that way I can change where I plan to view it based on weather.

Many are starting to think about the eclipse. Well, the latest upper level (500 hPa) forecast from the National Weather Service GFS model for 11 AM Monday morning (21 August) shows a trough, with clouds and showers, over the region...not good! But don't worry.... the skill at 10-11 days is very poor.

Hope that forecast changes! I am hoping to view the eclipse just north of John Day, OR.

"So, not because of the eclipse itself, but rather it's impact!"

I get that that is what they are probably thinking, but to me as I said they are missing an opportunity for potentially more attendance and I doubt that people were coming in from far enough away for the event to need much for hotel rooms. I'll have to ask the local eBike Store for their input as they displayed there last year. I guess I just don't get the bru ha ha over the eclipse as I have seen them before and only plan on viewing this one marginally as it goes by.

Well, even though there are local dealers that participate, most of the event attendees are likely brand representatives (if the minnesota event is any indication, I'd say it was 70/30 brands/local) - if they didn't plan their accommodations welllll in advance (you may not find it interesting, but people have been looking forward to it for several years now and hotels have likely had bookings just as far ahead) anyone from out of town for a minor event is going to be out of luck, resulting in nobody there to run the booths!

Well, even though there are local dealers that participate, most of the event attendees are likely brand representatives (if the minnesota event is any indication, I'd say it was 70/30 brands/local) - if they didn't plan their accommodations welllll in advance (you may not find it interesting, but people have been looking forward to it for several years now and hotels have likely had bookings just as far ahead) anyone from out of town for a minor event is going to be out of luck, resulting in nobody there to run the booths!
Which begs the question why didn't the event organizers know this in advance or wait until now to cancel. After all the eclipse has been general knowledge some time now. Anyway, I am in Portland now on vacation and the local vendors are talking about it and looking forward to the business.

Just by chance as I was heading to my son's here today in the PDX I ended up going by the E Bike Store and they had a mini expo/sale going so I pulled in to check it out. Raleigh, Gazelle, Stromer were the store's brands represented and there was an R&M there with some German guy who said he came anyway because he couldn't cancel his ticket. Local dealer for them is another shop in town however. The reason they cancelled was because they didn't reserve portapotties, generators and hard fencing in advance and they all are in use for eclipse festivities.

Anyway I didn't take any test rides but I did almost throw my back out trial lifting the Stromer and the R&M (It was the FS/dual battery one with both batteries) I don't think I got either of them off the ground. I guess I am just used to my 43lb bike and I have to say I think I will stay used to it. Personal preference not meant to be a slam as I am sure they are fine bikes according to those here that actually have them.

The bottom line was that there where lots of folks kicking the tires and I bet the store sold some bikes today. After meeting up with my family for the day and a nice cookout I took a 15 mile tour of downtown dialing in my lighting plan because it is getting to be that time of year!

IMG_4553.JPG

Back