Pannier bags on R&M Multicharger

Xali2012

Region
Europe
Hi,
Looking for opinion. I'll be receiving a 51cm Multicharger next April, that I plan to use for extended touring. R&M provides very large pannier bags, but they look like they're a pain to get on and off.

I own Ortlieb front and back rollers. Could a pair of front and a pair rear pannier each be attached on the rear carrier?

The other options are a front low rider type carrier or 2 - 3 waterproof duffelbags on top of the panniers...

I ordered my Multicharger with the R&M bags and I can confirm they are both, huge and a pain to get on and off. They just sort of live on the bike now.

I had a pair of Ortlieb back rollers on loan until the R&M bags arrived, as they came a few weeks after the bike.

The back rollers fit fine and were easy to mount and remove. I think you might be able to get both a front and rear roller pair on there as the rear carrier is long but the bottom mount point might be tricky.

I ordered my Multicharger with the R&M bags and I can confirm they are both, huge and a pain to get on and off. They just sort of live on the bike now.

I had a pair of Ortlieb back rollers on loan until the R&M bags arrived, as they came a few weeks after the bike.

The back rollers fit fine and were easy to mount and remove. I think you might be able to get both a front and rear roller pair on there as the rear carrier is long but the bottom mount point might be tricky.
Aside from the size and the carrying capacity (weight) ,is there an advantage to the R&M bags?

It really is the size and the way they sit on the bike. They are just huge. Lots of internal pockets.

Another idea: given the unusual length of the rack, maybe you could actually get a set of the 72 liter Ortlieb recumbent bags on there, which would give you a lot of volume but also keep them high off the ground and out of the way? Likely not as big as the R&M bags but easy to mount & high quality. Just a thought.

Another idea: given the unusual length of the rack, maybe you could actually get a set of the 72 liter Ortlieb recumbent bags on there, which would give you a lot of volume but also keep them high off the ground and out of the way? Likely not as big as the R&M bags but easy to mount & high quality. Just a thought.
Didn't think of those. thank you

Hi all,

Just looked at a 2022 Multicharger Mixte for my wife - she’s quite smitten as she was tiring of “throwing a leg over” my SuperCharger 2!

0C923723-1F94-4B0F-AC0F-D41AAF46D362.jpeg

Will swap out the bars on the back for standard cushion for the kids as they don’t need the bars to hold on and be safe (10-12yrs) and also replace the running boards with the pegs.

I am interested in the pannier situation though - sounds like the R&M ones are huge but not well liked. Would be keen to hear more experience of other larger panniers people may have used.

We have two Ortlieb rollers but with the Multicharger capable of carrying more than the SC2 I do wonder if some bigger panniers might be a good option.

Keen to hear experiences.

Cheers
Sam

OK,
I tried to put both an set of Ortlieb front and back roller on the bike: it does not work: I can't get my heel past the 1st bag however far I attach the second bag to the rear.
I had a very good look at the recumbent bags. The attachment rail on the bag would need to be re positioned (it's at an odd angle and shortish) or replaced altogether. Means poking a lot of holes into a waterproof bag.

Hi,
Another option depending on what you're thinking:

I've got this for my bikepacking adventures (non-electric) - details with the aeroe bags here:

https://samuelmcneill.com/adventures/24hr-bikepacking-adventure-november-2022/

Here's a photo with one on the rear:

1671049913258.png

The rear bags are 12L each and can be mounted on either side of the bike e.g.

1671049952961.png

I bought this system as super versatile across my bikes and it goes on/off in about 5mins with the spider rack frame.

Cheers

The TERN bags fit very well on my Multicharger (Cargo 30 model)...

Attachments

• IMG_2947.jpg
    IMG_2947.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 231
Back