Pannier bag recommendations

The Rock Bros seems to be a copy of the Topeak rack trunk that has been around for awhile. I bought one this year to replace an similar style axiom bag that was falling apart after a year. I got their strap version as opposed to the quick release for their racks. Fits very well on the CCX rack, but I did have to add something to keep the bag from sitting too forward on the rack which introduces heel strike with the panniers & gets in the way of the suspension seatpost. I would've been fine with a regular rack trunk & pannier bags, but the old Arkel bags I have aren't able to sit far back enough on the Juice rack so I get heel strike. This rack trunk/integrated pannier bag is an ok compromise.

If anyone does get the Topeak bag. The panniers don't have a hook only a bungee loop & there is nothing for it to hook onto with the Juice rack. My solution was it attach carabiners to the to the loop & clip that to the rack stays.

Thanks for the tips about the heel strike. I’d hoped someone would chime in about that. I think one of the Ortlieb mounts gives an angle that helps prevent it, but I haven’t used it in a real world situation.

I'm a fan of the Ortlieb Office Bag, QL2 system in large. Have 'em for both my Specialized Fatboy and Haibike Full FatSix. These days, I'll run the Ortlieb E-Mate on the Haibike as they are designed to carry a spare battery. The Office Bag is not, though it could be done, I suppose.

The Ortliebs could be arranged on your rear rack on an angle as I have on my bikes and that angle takes away any chance of heel strikes. Waterproof. The only thing is that they seem to carry limited colors these days with this bag. I really liked the looks of the Granite/Black as shown on the Haibike, but especially the Hazel/Black on the Specialized. Unfortunately, both colors are no longer offered by Ortlieb.

Attachments

• 100_1930.jpg
    100_1930.jpg
    725.4 KB · Views: 522
  • 100_1997.jpg
    100_1997.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 593
  • 100_3918.JPG
    100_3918.JPG
    701.4 KB · Views: 754
The Rock Bros seems to be a copy of the Topeak rack trunk that has been around for awhile. ....
I was going to say the same thing, a clear rip-off. I have the Topeak DXP quick-release on my other bike and am considering the Velcro version for the RCS, The panniers are a bit on the small side, but that is usually fine and keeps the bike looking more slim even when they are deployed. I do sometimes keep one bag folded up and attach a large waterproof pannier to that side. That probably would not work on this Juiced rack, but I have not tested it yet. I was going to attach something to the rack to attach the shock-cord attachment from the panniers. While $20 cheaper for the Rock Bros, for me personally I would stick to the original Topeak. The pannier though probably won't hold an extra battery for the RCS, and it would be beyond it's weight holding ability for a single pannier, so there are some downsides to the Topeak on the RCS I believe.

Besides the Rock Bros bags, can anyone recommend panniers that are known to fit on the Juiced rack (without heel strike)? Has anyone actually used Ortlieb bags on their Juiced rack? I have some old panniers that hook onto the top of the rack just fine but the retention strap is designed to grab something lower, usually on the drop out, but on my CCX the pannier has to be so far back that there's nothing inline with the strap to hook onto.

Also, the original post states the rack is only designed to hold 20 lbs. My rack has a limit of 25kg stamped on it, which translates into 55 lbs, which means it should support a very healthy load.

I'm a fan of the Ortlieb Office Bag, QL2 system in large. Have 'em for both my Specialized Fatboy and Haibike Full FatSix. These days, I'll run the Ortlieb E-Mate on the Haibike as they are designed to carry a spare battery. The Office Bag is not, though it could be done, I suppose.

The Ortliebs could be arranged on your rear rack on an angle as I have on my bikes and that angle takes away any chance of heel strikes. Waterproof. The only thing is that they seem to carry limited colors these days with this bag. I really liked the looks of the Granite/Black as shown on the Haibike, but especially the Hazel/Black on the Specialized. Unfortunately, both colors are no longer offered by Ortlieb.

Mike! I like the looks of that hub/shock mounted front rack! Who makes it?

Besides the Rock Bros bags, can anyone recommend panniers that are known to fit on the Juiced rack (without heel strike)? Has anyone actually used Ortlieb bags on their Juiced rack? I have some old panniers that hook onto the top of the rack just fine but the retention strap is designed to grab something lower, usually on the drop out, but on my CCX the pannier has to be so far back that there's nothing inline with the strap to hook onto.

Also, the original post states the rack is only designed to hold 20 lbs. My rack has a limit of 25kg stamped on it, which translates into 55 lbs, which means it should support a very healthy load.

You can solve all of these problems with a Topeak out front water bottle mount, attached to your frame at the bottom. It's what I did to keep the stock rack. Adds a mounting point for panniers that want to "grab" something.

Attachments

• 20200119_050019.jpg
    20200119_050019.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 514
Back