Pandora's Box!!! New to the forum

Dave Hutson

I am a 57-year-old retired tool and die maker with a host of machining experience and I now have the time and desire to build myself a quality E bike. I Hope that I am where I need to be regarding my Ebike project. I have a brain full of questions, I am in the process of collecting lithium-ion cells in sorting them as to their capacities. I intend to build a mid motored bike of 750 to 1000 watt power output. I live in a area of Missouri that consists of small mountains so I believe I will need something with substantial power output to negotiate my terrain. I have my best and favorite bicycle that I am torn as to whether I want to do this conversion on it or buy something less expensive to experiment on. My bike is a Giant NRS dual suspended mountain bike, this will make a very efficient platform but again I am torn between modifying it or not. That's enough for now, I will be bombarding the group with a myriad of questions concerning what I should and shouldn't do. Thanks for the admission!

Welcome Dave!

What are you using for your capacity tests? I ended up getting the knock off iMaxB6 for a bit cheaper than the official one (truth be told I didn't know it was a knock off till my friend pointed it out lol).

Also, how big will your battery be as well as configuration?

I was going to make a larger spare eBike battery for my 1st eBike but ended up getting the Juiced Bikes ODK U500 V3 eBike with the 48v 32ah battery which is more than enough range for me, so ended up using my harvested lithium cells for my backup solar generator battery bank haha.

Good luck on the build!

Take care, ride safe!
Marc V

Marc V, I have a little hobby charger it is a Hi-Tec X1 and a Fluke 73 multimeter. I am building a 52V pack from used cells.The pack will consist of 4 18650 cells in parallel to make up 14 cells in series.

Back