Panasonic is one of the first in the US to clear the new E-bike safety standards and achieve UL certification

From what I have seen and understand of their engineering it seems like a good system. Lot's of contenders these days and it will be interesting to see where it all goes from this point.

I don’t understand why they are boasting that they are the first. Bosch has been getting UL certified since 2014. It’s great that Panasonic is doing it and hopefully more seriously entering the market, but I think stating they are the first with UL is dishonest.

I think stating they are the first with UL is dishonest.

I reached out to the UL folks before posting here and I was told that there was no unified "E-bike standard" developed for N. America.

I have requested them to clarify what this new "E-bike standard" is all about.

Thanks for the clarity Ravi. This is helpful. I know this was in process but I guess it just launched. I wonder if companies will do it. I think it could make sense for some, but if the ebike system is already UL I wouldn’t foresee the bike manufacturer going for it.

I'm at CES this week for work. I'll try to stop by the Panasonic booth (they might have more than 1) and see if I can get some additional information.

At first blush though, this seems very wrong to me. A company works with UL to define the standard, passes the standard, and then UL agrees to participate in an advertising video. Destroys, for me anyway, any sense of impartiality.

I stopped by the Panasonic booth. Twice. No-one there knew anything about the display:
One.jpg

Two.jpg

Interestingly, Bosch was just across the aisle. They had a couple of bikes on display. One was a Cannondale.

I stopped by the Panasonic booth. Twice. No-one there knew anything about the display:

Interestingly, Bosch was just across the aisle. They had a couple of bikes on display. One was a Cannondale.

The first photo is a pre-historic item in the world of E-bikes!
Second is much more contemporary. I guess the booth is manned by nOObs!

Panasonic knows a thing or two about E-bikes. They were one of the first to enter E-bike market (Yamaha being the first) and they have a lot of experience building quality batteries.

They own some stake in Tesla Gigafactory and every Tesla Model S, Model S and Model X sold in the US has batteries made by Panasonic. So, this is a brand one could trust.

More details on the UL 2849 emerges.
Thanks for the link, @Dewey .

Will be interesting to see who else will follow the suit.

Back