Pace 350 released!

Pace 350 were added to Aventon's website a couple of days ago. Lucky for me there is a LBS about 15 miles away, we ordered a step-through for my wife today, and they said it was listed in-stock at the Aventon warehouse and should ship out in a couple of days.

$999 sounds like a great value, and it's impressive that they offer the step-through in two sizes. Most inexpensive ebikes are one-size-fits-all.

Trade-offs compared to the Pace 500 at $1399
  • Smaller motor (350 vs 500 w)
  • Smaller battery (417 vs 556 wh)
  • Mechanical disc brakes vs hydraulic
  • 20 vs 28 mph
  • 7 vs 8 speed derailleur
  • Fixed handlebar post vs adjustable angle
Probably a few other trade-offs, but overall most of the tradeoffs are perfectly fine for the intended use of the bike. Especially considering that my wife doesn't feel the need for speed! :eek:

Will post pics and impressions once we get the bike.

Thanks for your posting Slow Rider. I’m looking forward to your impressions. I’m east of Sacramento, in rolling hill country. Being in the east Bay, your wife may have some hills on routes she likes, which may test the hill climbing ability, and allow some impressions. The Aventon dealer in Sacramento normally sells Aventon conventional bikes, and this will be their first experience with e-bikes. Currently the Aventon specification on the 350 does not mention torque, nor is the motor manufacturer mentioned.

George

Pace 350 were added to Aventon's website a couple of days ago. Lucky for me there is a LBS about 15 miles away, we ordered a step-through for my wife today, and they said it was listed in-stock at the Aventon warehouse and should ship out in a couple of days.

$999 sounds like a great value, and it's impressive that they offer the step-through in two sizes. Most inexpensive ebikes are one-size-fits-all.

Trade-offs compared to the Pace 500 at $1399
  • Smaller motor (350 vs 500 w)
  • Smaller battery (417 vs 556 wh)
  • Mechanical disc brakes vs hydraulic
  • 20 vs 28 mph
  • 7 vs 8 speed derailleur
  • Fixed handlebar post vs adjustable angle
Probably a few other trade-offs, but overall most of the tradeoffs are perfectly fine for the intended use of the bike. Especially considering that my wife doesn't feel the need for speed! :eek:

Will post pics and impressions once we get the bike.
I've ridden the 350's and they feel nearly as zippy up to 20 mph, as the 500's. And the 500's get up to 28 mph faster than a Magnum Metro +. Despite the Magnum advertising peak power of 700 watts and a higher torque rating. (So much for stated specs - go figure!) They both accelerate better than any Rad, and a number of other popular hub drive brands I have ridden such as Surface, Raleigh, iZip, Blix, even a couple of Juiced models. And on the 500, definitely faster acceleration than Bosch drives on Trek (Electra) Townie, Verve, Super Commuter 7, that I have ridden recently.

Just got the bike for my wife today and rode it home for her. This was my first time riding a rear wheel hub drive and I was totally surprised at the power of the 350w motor. When it kicks in even at PAS 1, it really does have a pretty good kick. The PAS isn't as controlled as on my Giant Explore, and at really low speeds like turning around it tries to kick in and can catch you off guard. That will take my wife a little getting used to.

I was also surprised at how fast it could get my 210 pounds up to 20mph using only the throttle. Way to easy, had me thinking why I didn't get a bike with a throttle!

The bike really is a good value for the $999 price point, and it seems like Aventon was careful in where they trimmed the cost. I was glad to see that the charger is UL Listed, and the tires are ebike rated.

IMG_1922.jpg

Just got the bike for my wife today and rode it home for her. This was my first time riding a rear wheel hub drive and I was totally surprised at the power of the 350w motor. When it kicks in even at PAS 1, it really does have a pretty good kick. The PAS isn't as controlled as on my Giant Explore, and at really low speeds like turning around it tries to kick in and can catch you off guard. That will take my wife a little getting used to.

I was also surprised at how fast it could get my 210 pounds up to 20mph using only the throttle. Way to easy, had me thinking why I didn't get a bike with a throttle!

The bike really is a good value for the $999 price point, and it seems like Aventon was careful in where they trimmed the cost. I was glad to see that the charger is UL Listed, and the tires are ebike rated.

View attachment 34330
The number of people who have been 'brain washed' into somehow believing mid drives are 'better' or more 'powerful' than hub drives will be changing as a result of companies like Aventon.

It's an educational process, every time someone with that pre-conceived notion walks into my shop, wanting to try a mid drive, but then reluctantly try a hub drive, the shocked expression turns into near immediate 'relief' when they find they don't have to spend $3000 or $4000 to get the power or speed they want. So There really is no need to do so much of the discounting that exists on competing mid drive ebikes. The so called 'smoothness' is rarely cited as a 'need' or 'want' after they do direct comparisons. Maybe it's 5% of the buyers who indicate that preference for torque sensing.

By the way, Blix is coming out in a couple months with new 500 watt hub drive models, operating at 48 volts, so another vendor offering below $2k models with all the speed and power most people would ever want.

These Aventon bikes look like a huge bargain deal. I’ve had both hub and mid drive bikes and I’m torn between something like an Aventon and putting a mid drive on a bike I already own. The two things that have me stuck are range and hill climbing. I agree that the smoothness is a pretty minor issue. Both the 350 and 500 Aventon look like bikes that most people would be plenty happy with.

The number of people who have been 'brain washed' into somehow believing mid drives are 'better' or more 'powerful' than hub drives will be changing as a result of companies like Aventon.

It's an educational process, every time someone with that pre-conceived notion walks into my shop, wanting to try a mid drive, but then reluctantly try a hub drive, the shocked expression turns into near immediate 'relief' when they find they don't have to spend $3000 or $4000 to get the power or speed they want. So There really is no need to do so much of the discounting that exists on competing mid drive ebikes. The so called 'smoothness' is rarely cited as a 'need' or 'want' after they do direct comparisons. Maybe it's 5% of the buyers who indicate that preference for torque sensing.

By the way, Blix is coming out in a couple months with new 500 watt hub drive models, operating at 48 volts, so another vendor offering below $2k models with all the speed and power most people would ever want.

Hello Mike,
I appreciate the way you stated how you feel about Hub vs Mid Drives.
I feel like I may have been one of the "Brainwashed".
but thanks to sincere comments like yours, I will keep an open mind.

That being said........ Motor Quality, and Reliability, matters to me.
Do you or anyone else have comments (pros / cons) about the Shengyi Motor in the Aventons ?

I look forward to your Wisdom,
Craig

Hello Mike,

Do you or anyone else have comments (pros / cons) about the Shengyi Motor in the Aventons ?

Craig
A number of riders have expressed that they feel stronger (on Pace 500) and accelerate faster than the Das Kit motors on the Magnums (500 watt, peak 700 watt, and 90 nm torque). They compare them side by side at my shop. Have not had any develop any issues thus far, and usually hub motors go for years. They are also reasonably priced to where a replacement is probably the way to go, instead of any repair. (though internal gears are easy and cheap to replace if needed - something (repairs) you wont be doing yourself easily on any mid drive unit - but have not had to do any of that in 4+ years on any hub drive sold on any brand Ive carried.) The Shengyi's are also sinewave controlled, so its a smooth running motor. (versus block wave control). Shengyi's hub motors are being utilized on a number of brands. The 350's might even be the same motor as on the 500, but simply powered with only 36 volts, and lower amp controller, since max speed is 20 mph. (Not sure yet and havent had time to ask Aventon about that- just a hunch though).

These Aventon bikes look like a huge bargain deal. I’ve had both hub and mid drive bikes and I’m torn between something like an Aventon and putting a mid drive on a bike I already own. The two things that have me stuck are range and hill climbing. I agree that the smoothness is a pretty minor issue. Both the 350 and 500 Aventon look like bikes that most people would be plenty happy with.
The 500 has an optional 14 AH (48V) battery that can be purchased for extended range.

The 500 has an optional 14 AH (48V) battery that can be purchased for extended range.

Thanks Mike.......... That is Very encouraging news.
I wont' shy away from Shengyi Motors.

In the meantime, I heard roomers, that some people have had premature failure of their Battery Charger. Uggh.

Hello Mike,

Craig
I was one of the brainwashed too...until I rode a Stromer!! I did buy the Stromer even though I never intended to spend that kind of money. I am looking for a e-bike for my wife now and this new Pace 350 looks like it will fit the bill. She wants one but doesn’t want to spend over $1,000 so now I need to see if there is a dealer near me.

Just an FYI, price is going up on 9/1. Slight increase due to tariffs, and production costs. Per aventon.

Thanks Mike.......... That is Very encouraging news.
I wont' shy away from Shengyi Motors.

In the meantime, I heard roomers, that some people have had premature failure of their Battery Charger. Uggh.
Not a recurring issue that I'm aware of.

Just an FYI, price is going up on 9/1. Slight increase due to tariffs, and production costs. Per aventon.

Can you share the new pricing for the 350 and 500?

Also, I think there used to be 10% off coupon codes floating around. Does Aventon have any discounts right now?

Thanks much!

Can you share the new pricing for the 350 and 500?

Also, I think there used to be 10% off coupon codes floating around. Does Aventon have any discounts right now?

Thanks much!
I think that needs to come from Aventon when they decide the time is right. Only the 350 price will change.

Is it true that a mid-drive provides more stability than a rear hub? Is this a noticeable difference in feeling, and how much of a stability difference is there, really?

I've ridden several ebikes with mid-drive and hub drive. I don't notice a difference in how they deliver power but there are two big advantages to hub drive. With hub drive you don't have to worry about what gear you are in, the gears are just for leg power, the motor doesn't use them so you can get full torque even if you end up short of the crest of a hill in high gear. Just push the throttle and boom, full power. You can also shift easily when the motor is pulling with full torque. Mid-drive uses the bike's gearing so you have to ease up on motor torque to shift and if you're in the wrong gear the motor is in the wrong gear too.

I've ridden several ebikes with mid-drive and hub drive. I don't notice a difference in how they deliver power but there are two big advantages to hub drive. With hub drive you don't have to worry about what gear you are in, the gears are just for leg power, the motor doesn't use them so you can get full torque even if you end up short of the crest of a hill in high gear. Just push the throttle and boom, full power. You can also shift easily when the motor is pulling with full torque. Mid-drive uses the bike's gearing so you have to ease up on motor torque to shift and if you're in the wrong gear the motor is in the wrong gear too.
TBH i test drove a vado 3.0 and i didn't even shift down at a stop sign, and didn't notice i was starting in high gear either

You said: "you have to ease up on motor torque to shift".
True........ and I liken that process to the same "ease up" you would do with a Clutch in a manual shift Car or Motorcycle (no Big Deal).

Craig :cool:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing that information on the hub drive bikes. Do you have any comments on when mid-drive bikes make jmore sense? Hill climbing mountain bikes?

Back