Over50's Tern Vektron S10 Chronicles (Gen 1 and Gen 2)

I did a 1/2 commute today (20 miles) on my non electric bike. First time ever. I worked harder to go slower averaging 11.4 mph. My recent averages on the Class 1 Terns (Vektron and GSD) are around 14.5 mph. My recent averages on the Class 3 are just under 17 mph.

I have a couple of sections of boulevard where I need to sprint to get to a residential connector and/or make a stop light before traffic catches me after being released from a red light behind me. These boulevards put me in heavier and faster traffic briefly for about a quarter of a mile each. I have them timed such that on my Class 3, I can usually make it from start to end point before traffic catches up to me. On my Class 1 bikes, it is usually a close-call and often traffic catches me before I get to my connector. On my non-electric, I'm definitely in traffic more in these situations. Something else I noticed, although it is just one commute so I'm hesitant to draw conclusions, is I had several instances of cars passing me from behind only to make a sudden right turn in front of me. This happens on my electrics but it seems like a bit less frequent. So I think commuting by e-bike is slightly safer than by regular bike unless a person is a really fit and fast rider capable of multiple fast sprints.

Commuting by non-electric though was pleasurable and I felt the heart rate getting up there a few times. I don't wear a heart rate monitor but I felt the workout more. It is something I hope to do more often perhaps once per week. I put the bike in our vehicle and carpool with my wife to her place of employment hence the 20 mile ride vs the normal 35 mile commute. Fridays are nice when I leave the office early and stop for a beer at the micro-brewery along my route. Yes, it is dangerous to have a micro-brewery right on the commute route. Sometimes the bike just gets a mind of its own and heads right for the bike racks outside the brewery. Kinda like a horse to stables.

Response to @dblhelix on Gen 1 vs Gen 2 preference:

I think, and she agrees, that the Gen 1 bike is more stable (or said another way, Gen 2 is twitchier). I've found that to get equivalent stability on the Gen 2 bike, I need to put it in a much more aero position such that more of my weight is on the front wheel.

I ride Gen 2 a lot and I would prefer it for the improved motor and burlier frame/rear rack. But my opinion is that the Gen 1 bike offers a more stable ride overall. My wife rides the Gen 1 a lot and she doesn't want to give it up. It won't be all bad, keeping both, because they are convenient bikes if we want to haul them somewhere for a weekend. They both fit nicely in the rear of the Suburu and would even fit in the rear of our compact hybrid (although wouldn't leave a lot of room for luggage).

Edit: I have to add that I've found the range on both Gen 1 and 2 to be excellent (perhaps due to class 1). But my recent experience with the Gen 2 bike, with the upgraded motor, is the range is phenomenal. Perhaps due to less drag? But I've commuted 35 miles on it using barely half of a 500 WH battery. I can ride in Eco right around the 19+mph cutoff at a moderate effort level.

Edit: I have to add that I've found the range on both Gen 1 and 2 to be excellent (perhaps due to class 1). But my recent experience with the Gen 2 bike, with the upgraded motor, is the range is phenomenal. Perhaps due to less drag? But I've commuted 35 miles on it using barely half of a 500 WH battery. I can ride in Eco right around the 19+mph cutoff at a moderate effort level.

Speaking of the excellent range on this bike: I did a 23 mile commute today in pretty good weather conditions (slight headwind for 20 miles). Probably about 80% Tour mode. I had a 400 WH battery pack charged guestimating 90 percent at start. After 23 miles, I was still showing 4 bars on the battery and had an estimated remaining range of 27 miles in Tour. So close to 50 miles on 90% charged 400 WH pack, riding mostly in Tour mode was do-able. I worked hard and had very good luck with traffic and stop lights. Arrived home a sweaty mess but had one of my best times ever on a Tern for my commute - averaged close to 16 mph when I'm usually around 14.5.

curious if you got to test ride any of the bafang motor tern vektrons and how they compared?

considering the D7i with the nexus , I am not a huge Bosch fan although am sure they are better motors
costs is an issue on this bike and I like the igh, hoping I can keep the chain clean but it won't need a lot if lube on it so less messy

if costs was not an issue would get the Bosch model with the belt drive..

also wondering if the bafang battery will be a cheaper replacement than the Bosch
sure with you having the other Bosch bikes that worked great for you being able to swap batteries

anyone else have the m400 bafang motors and can chime in?
I have an m600 and really like it
chris if you read this would love your input

making a decision on buying one these would be much easier if a front suspension fork was available
I need the folder so the only one I am interested in is the vektron..

thanks for any feedback

I have a 36v 350 w ebike I’m thinking to get new 250 w bike will I find a great difference in the pedal assist?

curious if you got to test ride any of the bafang motor tern vektrons and how they compared?

No, unfortunately I've never had opportunity to try anything with a Bafang motor. I had 2 non-electric Terns prior to opting for a Vektron so I had developed some trust in the brand and their bikes. At the time I ordered the Gen 1 Vektron, my LBS had just signed up with Tern as a dealer and they didn't yet have any stock.

I actually have a Vektron D8 in the shop for testing. The motor performs nicely and frankly better than I expected. My main concern would be long term reliability and availability of parts. I'll probably sell this one off and not bring another one in for that reason. I've been in a position before where I couldn't get parts and it really stinks. Tern is a great company, but I know the way Bafang works. We would be dependent on Tern making sure they can maintain a proper stock of replacement motor system parts and that's not always the easiest thing to do. I certainly don't want that responsibility.

Reactions: Pcm
Thanks Chris

this is exactly what Ravi is saying, he doesn’t want me to get a bafang because he is worried I won’t be able to get parts later

Looking hard at the haibike radius tour even though it is not exactly what I want

do you have any used tern Bosch bikes in stock?

Thanks Chris

this is exactly what Ravi is saying, he doesn’t want me to get a bafang because he is worried I won’t be able to get parts later

Looking hard at the haibike radius tour even though it is not exactly what I want

do you have any used tern Bosch bikes in stock?
I have a lightly used demo Vektron Q9 in Long Beach. Email me or give me a call if you're interested.

I was going to go with the Brompton electric, but it seems to have just too many problems. I just demoed a Specialized vado 4.0 and it was really nice on the hills.I can't demo the vektron anywhere so I'm wondering if one can maintain close to 20mph on the gen 2 bike in the non-turbo modes.

I was going to go with the Brompton electric, but it seems to have just too many problems. I just demoed a Specialized vado 4.0 and it was really nice on the hills.I can't demo the vektron anywhere so I'm wondering if one can maintain close to 20mph on the gen 2 bike in the non-turbo modes.

I can maintain around 19 mph at a comfortable cadence in Tour mode. Eco for the same amount of effort would probably be 16-18 mph. I find the range, riding in Tour, to still be excellent. I've almost never relied on Sport or Turbo on these class 1 bikes (I have no hills).

You've had a gen 1 for a while now. What's maintenance been like for that. I'm new to e-bikes and curious about long term reliability. Thanks so much for your help.

You've had a gen 1 for a while now. What's maintenance been like for that. I'm new to e-bikes and curious about long term reliability. Thanks so much for your help.

I purchased it in March of 19 and only put 450 miles on it during the year. I only did a couple of light drivetrain cleanings during the year. Back around October, I took it to the LBS to let them do a year-end complete bike clean, check components and update the software (may have already been on the latest update). At that time they said my chain still had plenty of life left. Apart from those items and occasionally tightening up my seat post clamp, I haven't had to do anything to the bike during these 9 months. It gets folded and loaded into the car quite often as most of those 450 miles were carpooling to work with my wife and then riding home. I'm sure if it is used as an every-day commuter, there will be more maintenance required.

just as a point of reference I have almost 1600 miles on my 2018 Vectron with no problems at all. Everything still works great.

I have 4K+ Miles. on a Gen1 Vektron. It has shared riding time with several other bikes, e- and non-e. I use it mostly for commuting and some longer day trips of 60-75 miles. It has been through all kinds of weather. It is equipped with a 500W PowerPack.

1. Never an issue with motor or electrical system. I briefly got an error message on the Purion, but it went away on its own.
2. 2 chains, 1 cassette replacement to date. Will be ready for the third chain this spring.
3. Brake pad service + caliper adjustment. I do it myself and the pads are inexpensive.
4. Replaced one tire after a particularly nasty gash. Two flats total.
5. The battery shows no deterioration despite being used with other bikes.

That’s it. I would add that I had to order one of those hard plastic pegs the bike rests on when folded. One of the two disappeared after a voyage in a car trunk.

I have 4K+ Miles. on a Gen1 Vektron. It has shared riding time with several other bikes, e- and non-e. I use it mostly for commuting and some longer day trips of 60-75 miles. It has been through all kinds of weather. It is equipped with a 500W PowerPack.

1. Never an issue with motor or electrical system. I briefly got an error message on the Purion, but it went away on its own.
2. 2 chains, 1 cassette replacement to date. Will be ready for the third chain this spring.
3. Brake pad service + caliper adjustment. I do it myself and the pads are inexpensive.
4. Replaced one tire after a particularly nasty gash. Two flats total.
5. The battery shows no deterioration despite being used with other bikes.

That’s it. I would add that I had to order one of those hard plastic pegs the bike rests on when folded. One of the two disappeared after a voyage in a car trunk.
Thanks for your help here. I picked one up about 2 months ago. Best bike I've ever owned. I wish it was a 28mph but that's my only gripe.

Personally I think you did the right thing avoiding the Brompton Electric. I have had two... the first one, one of the first ones, kept cutting out and went back to the factory where, allegedly they replaced the motor and sensors... it was worse than before! I got a full refund from Brompton (in the UK the Brompton Electric used to be purchased direct and handed over by the dealer.)
Six months later I thought I’d try again (some people never learn) and ordered another 6 speed one. It was great initially but recently started to cut out. Also there’s no way to adjust the power when moving and if you are about to climb a steep hill you set it on power level three. The power comes in after pedalling a quarter of a tern and if you have any turn on the handlebars at all it can be rather uncontrollable.... I have been thrown off three times!
Anyway having recently smashed my elbow and damaged my shoulder after tripping on a flagstone, I have been advised not to cycle for a few months..... so due to lockdown with Covid 19 second hand prices are exceptional so I sold it.
If all’s well next year I think I’ll go for the Vektron S10.
The information on this forum is excellent... many thanks to all.

Personally I think you did the right thing avoiding the Brompton Electric. I have had two... the first one, one of the first ones, kept cutting out and went back to the factory where, allegedly they replaced the motor and sensors... it was worse than before! I got a full refund from Brompton (in the UK the Brompton Electric used to be purchased direct and handed over by the dealer.)
Six months later I thought I’d try again (some people never learn) and ordered another 6 speed one. It was great initially but recently started to cut out. Also there’s no way to adjust the power when moving and if you are about to climb a steep hill you set it on power level three. The power comes in after pedalling a quarter of a tern and if you have any turn on the handlebars at all it can be rather uncontrollable.... I have been thrown off three times!
Anyway having recently smashed my elbow and damaged my shoulder after tripping on a flagstone, I have been advised not to cycle for a few months..... so due to lockdown with Covid 19 second hand prices are exceptional so I sold it.
If all’s well next year I think I’ll go for the Vektron S10.
The information on this forum is excellent... many thanks to all.
I went with the Vektron and couldn't be happier. It's been bulletproof. I wish it folded as small as the Brompton, but I value the reliability more as I commute with it every day.

I’m looking at the S10, but would be interested if anyone has tried the P7i as the internal hub gear is very appealing.
I’m rather worried that the “mech” on the S10 hangs very low.

Back