Over50's Tern Vektron S10 Chronicles (Gen 1 and Gen 2)

I’m looking at the S10, but would be interested if anyone has tried the P7i as the internal hub gear is very appealing.
I’m rather worried that the “mech” on the S10 hangs very low.

I haven't tried the P7i. Sweet looking bike. Not sure what the gear range on the Nexus 7 is but on the S10 I do find myself running out of gears from time to time. If I am on a flat with good pavement and perhaps a tailwind I can ride around 23 mph without motor assistance - and I am in the final gear. The derailleur does hang low on the S10 so definitely have to watch the curbs. I haven't had any problems with hitting it on anything. If I recall, each time I've registered a Tern bike for the warranty (form at their website), it specifies that the bike is not for use offroad. So I guess Tern is not anticipating riders having troubles with stones.

I haven't tried the P7i. Sweet looking bike. Not sure what the gear range on the Nexus 7 is but on the S10 I do find myself running out of gears from time to time. If I am on a flat with good pavement and perhaps a tailwind I can ride around 23 mph without motor assistance - and I am in the final gear. The derailleur does hang low on the S10 so definitely have to watch the curbs. I haven't had any problems with hitting it on anything. If I recall, each time I've registered a Tern bike for the warranty (form at their website), it specifies that the bike is not for use offroad. So I guess Tern is not anticipating riders having troubles with stones.
- The 11-36t will give you greater range over the Nexus.

- Realistically, I rarely feel the need to push the Vektron much past the cutoff. It’s just not that kind of bike.

- I worry about the derailleur every time I look at it but never have experienced a problem. I don’t know what Tern considers “off-road” but non-paved bike trails sometimes present a lot of twigs and brushy materials. The number of times I stop to pull it out is about the same as for any other bike.

I sold off my Gen 1 Vektron so closing the chapter on that bike. The Gen 2 is now my only Vektron.

Back