Over Thinking! - You All Make It Hard - First EBike (FAT) Wanted - See My Thoughts Below - Steer Me O wise ones!

fenestra

Region
USA
I have been wanting an ebike since I first hopped on a rental ebike here in Atlanta a few years ago . I am in a position with a bonus from work to get one. I have been researching for the past week and the deeper down the rabbit hole I get the more unsure I get.

Would love folks opinions or other thoughts based on what I have below. If you have ridden these or have these or have other suggestions.

I am 5'7 (without shoes), 235lbs, and would be riding primarily for recreation. Potentially some rails to trails, to the local grocery store, would like to pull a trailer with my pups (Potentially also groceries), and would like to handle a dirt road here and there. I am keep reading about mid-drive vs rear drive but for my purposes I am not sure that makes a difference. However I am leaning toward torque sensor vs cadence sensor.

I want a Fat Tire Bike, with good assist, that looks somewhat stylish and like a bike, that can handle Atlanta/Georgia Rolling Hills, and Florida (Jax Beach). I would prefer good range (30 Mile round trip to beach and back). I am a handy so I am okay with some fixes, but would like good quality and decent customer service. I would prefer to stay under 2500 but could be flexible (ish), but really want to stay under 3k.

After my research I would love to find one with the CVT transmission (the enviolo hub) but at my pricepoint and the other things I am looking for now sure I can swing it. Or I could but until I have an ebike and see if I am using it I am not sure I want to invest that much).

I want a step though but concerned about the potential weakness of frame vs. step-over. But honestly if I am going to use it with a heavy bike I think step though is the way to go. Would love those thoughts too.

Here is where I am at with my highest preference at top with my general thoughts. Let's just say when I first started I was 100% going to get the Rad, then found the Aventure. Then oh dear lord the choices!!!

Juiced NEW RipCurrent S RipCurrent S Step-Through | Fat Tire Electric Bike | Juiced Bikes - Newest Model. Big Battery. Big Motor. Torque and Cadence Sensor. 300lb Load Limit. Seems to have higher quality parts than Rad Rover. Almost ordered last night. Worried about Customer Service if there is an issue. I wish there was a phone App. I really just feel I should order this and get over it just want to make sure I am getting what I need.

Aventon Aventure - Aventure Step-through Ebike (aventon.com) - Love the look - Better Price, Good reviews. 300lb Load Limit. Phone App. Cadence Sensor Only. People seem to have some issue with how the Pedal Assist works even though it better than in previous models.

RadRover 6 Plus - RadRover 6 Plus (radpowerbikes.com) - This seems to be the most recommended bike in this category for the sub 2k price point. Cadence only. Great Customer support. I just feel I can get a little more if I am willing to spend a little more.

Biktrix Juggernaut Hub Duo Electric Bike -

Himiway Zebra | Premium All Terrain Electric Fat bike | Himiway Bikes

I've also looked at Sondors, Priority, and like everyone other one......

Welcome to EBR. Although Atlanta is pretty flat, go north a few dozen miles to Marietta and Cartersville (where I used to live) and things can get pretty steep pretty fast. Or Stone Mountain. :eek:

Most riders on here don't complain about frame flex on modern step through bikes, so that's at least one thing less to worry about. I never noticed any on my wife's step through Como either.

There are some complaints about Himiway so check that forum closely.

Enjoy the hunt and good luck to you.

Welcome to EBR. Although Atlanta is pretty flat, go north a few dozen miles to Marietta and Cartersville (where I used to live) and things can get pretty steep pretty fast. Or Stone Mountain. :eek:

Most riders on here don't complain about frame flex on modern step through bikes, so that's at least one thing less to worry about. I never noticed any on my wife's step through Como either.

There are some complaints about Himiway so check that forum closely.

Enjoy the hunt and good luck to you.
Haha I don't see myself going up to Stone Mountain! I am near Marietta and even though it's "Pretty Flat" I like to think of it as rolling compared to so may other parts or when we are in Florida! :)

I

I am 5'7 (without shoes), 235lbs, and would be riding primarily for recreation. Potentially some rails to trails, to the local grocery store, would like to pull a trailer with my pups (Potentially also groceries), and would like to handle a dirt road here and there. I am keep reading about mid-drive vs rear drive but for my purposes I am not sure that makes a difference. However I am leaning toward torque sensor vs cadence sensor.

I want a Fat Tire Bike, with good assist, that looks somewhat stylish and like a bike, that can handle Atlanta/Georgia Rolling Hills, and Florida (Jax Beach). I would prefer good range (30 Mile round trip to beach and back). I am a handy so I am okay with some fixes, but would like good quality and decent customer service. I would prefer to stay under 2500 but could be flexible (ish), but really want to stay under 3k.

I want a step though but concerned about the potential weakness of frame vs. step-over. But honestly if I am going to use it with a heavy bike I think step though is the way to go. Would love those thoughts too.
I've had 4 drop frame bikes, from $15 Huffy though $75 diamondback & pacific to $1500 yuba shown left. I weighed 200 on the diamondback and have always carried up to 60 lb groceries. I've never experienced frame flex.
In Atlanta fat tires are a fashion statement. I ride road, mud, gravel & 24" high grass on 2.1" knobby tires. I don't know if Jax beach has powder sand, that is your call. You don't need a mid drive in Georgia, no mountains of 1000'. Geared hub drives are cheaper and more often come with throttles than mid-drives.
I find groceries or supplies on the bike made my steering squirrelly. Weight on the back lifts the front. If you want to carry cargo or a dog, get a stretch frame cargo bike. Cheaper ones are blix packa, m2s, magnum, xtracycle. Mine in the avatar is a yuba. At $1500 without power yuba bodaboda came with real steel spokes, real aluminum rims, real steel cables that don't stretch. I don't adjust or replace any of those in 4 years & 8000 miles.
Look at the brand forums known problems list for some idea of the quality of parts the brand ships. Juiced has a lot of fans, and 773 posts about problems. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ed-bikes-products-help-solutions-fixes.13163/ Rad has great service reputation because they ship so much **** and get called all the time. About half the problem posts of juiced. Both those you are the service department. My Yuba I never called them, it was perfect as received.
Canyon has a torque sensor with a hub motor and 3 problem posts. Blix has no problem posts. Aventon over 100. Biktrix juggernaught has fat tires, some fans, and 37 problem posts.
Your store supported bikes tend to be higher quality because stores won't put up with warrenty calls. Higher costs too. Of the store supported bikes the hub motors bikes I know are aventon magnum & pedego. Trek, Giant Cannondale Gazelle Kona make great bikes but not too many throttles. Most mid drives have a torque sensor. Shimano & Bosch mid-drives the battery if stolen is >$1000 and frequently no available. Electra Townie is a trek brand for smaller people with a hub motor.
Enviolo IGH would be fun but kind of out of your price range.
Make sure if you buy a store stock bike you don't get a frame too big. My pants inseam is 28" and I do not fit an 18" frame bike. Most stores do not stock anything as small as a 17" frame except the pink holly hobbie single speed bike with rim brakes. Note, rim brakes lose 2/3 their power after running through a puddle.
Because you are short lots of people will bring up 20" wheel bikes like Tern GSD, eunorau, etc. They are practical cargo bikes. 20" wheels will rattle your teeth if you hit a pothole IMHO. I can't always miss holes in the rain or a line of cars leaving a stoplight. The blix packa is a 24" tire bike.
Happy shopping & later riding.

Last edited:
I recently had my bike converted to an Enviolo Cargo CVT and if you can reuse your rim the parts would be about $650 plus the cost of labor if you have your bike shop lace the new hub into the rim. But if you intend doing this it may affect your choice of frame - Enviolo recommend sliding rear dropouts, either horizontal or semi-horizontal. You can make the manual shift interface work with vertical dropouts if you use a chain tensioner.

If you haven't already, you might have a look at the Rize line up. They may have something that interests you.

Just in case you thought you were past the "over thinking" stage.

Also, if you haven't actually seen one of these "fatty's" up close, you need to know these are BIG bikes....

Last edited:
The iGo Outland Oka fits the bill. Hub drive with torque sensor, a good dealer network, established bike company, $2800. Its much more a mountain bike than the others you have mentioned. Here's mine, I went a little nuts. It's been upgraded with a Mastadon fork, bigger brakes, a dropper suspension seat post, and a smaller chainring to make it climb better.
20220101_112051.jpg

I have been wanting an ebike since I first hopped on a rental ebike here in Atlanta a few years ago . I am in a position with a bonus from work to get one. I have been researching for the past week and the deeper down the rabbit hole I get the more unsure I get.

Would love folks opinions or other thoughts based on what I have below. If you have ridden these or have these or have other suggestions.

After my research I would love to find one with the CVT transmission (the enviolo hub) but at my pricepoint and the other things I am looking for now sure I can swing it. Or I could but until I have an ebike and see if I am using it I am not sure I want to invest that much).

Here is where I am at with my highest preference at top with my general thoughts. Let's just say when I first started I was 100% going to get the Rad, then found the Aventure. Then oh dear lord the choices!!!

Juiced NEW RipCurrent S RipCurrent S Step-Through | Fat Tire Electric Bike | Juiced Bikes - Newest Model. Big Battery. Big Motor. Torque and Cadence Sensor. 300lb Load Limit. Seems to have higher quality parts than Rad Rover. Almost ordered last night. Worried about Customer Service if there is an issue. I wish there was a phone App. I really just feel I should order this and get over it just want to make sure I am getting what I need.

Aventon Aventure - Aventure Step-through Ebike (aventon.com) - Love the look - Better Price, Good reviews. 300lb Load Limit. Phone App. Cadence Sensor Only. People seem to have some issue with how the Pedal Assist works even though it better than in previous models.

RadRover 6 Plus - RadRover 6 Plus (radpowerbikes.com) - This seems to be the most recommended bike in this category for the sub 2k price point. Cadence only. Great Customer support. I just feel I can get a little more if I am willing to spend a little more.

Biktrix Juggernaut Hub Duo Electric Bike -

Himiway Zebra | Premium All Terrain Electric Fat bike | Himiway Bikes

I've also looked at Sondors, Priority, and like everyone other one......
What did you decide to get? I’m also looking for my first eBike, but I’m not sure where to even start.

Back