Over 50's Charger GX HS Rohloff chronicles

The chronicle ends! The R&M Charger GX HS Rohloff is sold. Back at the end of 2019 when I decided to purchase the Trek Allant, I listed my Haibike for sale on Craigslist. A gentleman came to purchase the Haibike recently for his wife. He was looking for two bikes and made an offer on the R&M too which I wasn't planning to sell. But I had just begun what looked to be a lengthy work-from-home due to CV19. No commuting. So weighing my options of multiple bikes including 2 class 3 bikes getting little use vs selling now and upgrading to newer technology - after things return to normal (if ever). And if/when we do get back to work in 2020 and bike commuting can resume, I think one class 3 (the Allant) and my Terns should see me through. Next year I'd look to try out something either full suspension or a very light-assist system like a Fazua. The e-bike landscape in 2021 could look completely different in terms of what bikes and tech are available in the USA (I suspect there will be less choice/fewer options and fewer sellers in the near future post-CV19). But based on options available to me now, I'd say a single-battery R&M Delite with traditional drivetrain and minimalist luggage rack is a leading candidate. My other favorite bikes at the moment will likely never be an option for USA customers: a Desiknio or the Rotwild RT Tour 750 (Brose S Mag).

Alas - likely to never see a bike like this in the USA post-CV19:

1587304919773.png

Last edited:
Oh. Is the Rotwild the Class 3 e-bike? Germany is the closest Poland's neighbour...

What made you sell the Charger? I'm looking into getting into a
Supercharger2 GT rohloff HS.

It was a mix of factors. I was not planning to sell and had no problems with the bike. I had my Haibike for sale. The purchaser saw the R&M and wanted to buy both. I was just getting the idea that our Covid lockdown might be for an extended period of time thus no commuting. Most of my bike miles come from commuting. I recently purchased the Trek Allant 9.9s. So I weighed a cash offer in hand against having 2 Class 3 bikes sitting around getting little use (plus I have a couple of Class 1 bikes I ride regularly). I opted for the cash in hand and if/when we come out of Covid lockdown and things appear relatively stable then I might look for another Class 3 with updated tech (newer motors if Bosch). At the moment I like the sound of the most minimalist Delite - traditional drivetrain and minimalist pannier rack. I was a bit sad to see the GX go.

What made you sell the Charger? I'm looking into getting into a
Supercharger2 GT rohloff HS.

I recently bought a new SC2 GT Rohloff HS. It’s amazing! I also own a 2019 Supercharger. The 2020 version has some nice improvements. I highly recommend the new model.

Today was the first commute with a single battery. And that with a forecast of substantial headwinds on the return trip. I wanted to test the ability to complete the commute with one battery but it meant going back to my conservative (Eco) riding ways. Good conditions overall. 70F at the morning departure with slight tail wind. Fully charged 500 WH battery. Riding 75% Eco and 25% Tour very roughly. I was 11.5 miles in when I slipped from 5 bars to 4 on the battery (estimating 55 miles of range in those optimal conditions). By contrast my best with the slower Class 1 Haibike was about 13.5 miles in (different battery so realize not a good comparison).

Coming home the headwind was sustained about 10 mph gusting to 20 mph. I had to stay mostly in Eco as I was burning through that battery pretty quickly. I probably did 6 of 20 miles in Tour mode including the last 4. I finished 36.1 miles total with about 1.5 bars remaining and estimated range in Eco of 16 miles.

And those crazy roadies! About 1/3rd of the way into the return I spied a roadie quite a distance out in front of me. The headwind was vicious and I had to stay in Eco so I very slowly gained ground on him. And, per the usual, he was running the stop signs and lights. And I was thinking "how does he do it" because every time I reached the intersection where he just ran a stop sign or light I had traffic and had to slow or stop. Well at one red light his luck ran out (or almost ran out). He ran the red and there was an SUV coming and it was a crisis averted by a hair. The galling thing is the roadie yelled at the SUV driver (to which the driver laid on his horn). But it was clearly the cyclist running the red light. After that maybe he was shaken because he seemed to slow down and I closed the gap over another mile or so. I was behind him anywhere from 200 feet to a quarter of a mile for almost 5 miles and he never knew I was there. He had no mirror. Reaching the home stretch and about to turn residential I was pretty close to him when he finally turned and saw me. He turned on the burners which meant he was back to running stop signs at even faster speeds. It took me another mile to close the gap again and at that point our paths diverged. I'd say its the closest I've come yet to seeing a cyclist run over and I've seen some close calls on my commutes.

Last week I also pulled up behind a woman on a road bike. Full lycra gear and decals galore. I was behind her at a stop light. At the next intersection she was clearly going to run the light and it is one that crosses a freeway service drive and is mostly blind because of bushes. I know it well and even if I have green light I am very cautious there. I thought "this might not end well". Sure enough there was a truck coming and she had to brake hard and then kind of clumsily came out of her clips and almost fell over. She got a good glare from the truck driver. Another crisis narrowly averted.
What’s wrong with obeying the rules of the road? They’re there for everyone. It’s just like paying taxes or choosing not to, or choosing whether or not to punch someone because, like, hey man, I’m wild and crazy and out there and rad and a dude and I live by my own rules.

What’s wrong with obeying the rules of the road? They’re there for everyone. It’s just like paying taxes or choosing not to, or choosing whether or not to punch someone because, like, hey man, I’m wild and crazy and out there and rad and a dude and I live by my own rules.

Not just bikers, cars don't follow the rules either.

Here's me almost getting killed from behind because "You don't get use the whole road!" (I was about to make a left.)

This is shot in 360 4k. For best experience, open link in Youtube app or use link in separate browser page. (You can drag the video in various angles and change resolution up.) to 4k.

Almost made a snuff film on myself.

...Here's me almost getting killed from behind because "You don't get use the whole road!" (I was about to make a left.)

Rings a bell! The couple of road rage incidents I have provoked were because I was trying to make a left turn and thereby occupying the lane on my bike. Both were in slow speed roadways (1 downtown and 1 residential 25 mph). At least where I live, something about someone on a bike occupying a full lane just really pisses off drivers - even though it is completely prescribed by law.

Back