Ortlieb Trunk bags on R&M rear racks?

sfnorton

I know the Homage racks, and other, are designed to work with RackTime Trunk Bags. Will Orlieb Trunk Bags work too, or is it too much trouble to fit them?

Thanks!

Ortlieb has some pretty specific diagrams for each of their products that should help you determine compatibility. For example I found this with one of Ortlieb's bag offerings: https://ortliebusa.com/product/trunk-bag/ 1556841401995.png

For my first R&M Charger, I ordered the Vaude bag from Europe with the built in Racktime adaptor. Purchase and shipping was pretty much hassle free. On my current R&M Charger, I pretty much only use panniers. I ordered Racktime panniers from Germany in order to make use of the lock they sell as a separate item. Helps to have my panniers locked down. I'm pleased with the Racktime bags although the fabric is not as heavy duty as the Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus bags I own.

Can't specifically comment on the trunk bags, but we got the Back-Roller Plus panniers and they clip on with any modifications. Perfect in fact. They do come with little inserts to fix on thinner bars.

Is it a Racktime rack or a MIK rack? My Supercharger is MIK and is slightly different to Racktime.

Ortlieb has a proprietary rack lock system that will work on just about any rack. It does not utilize the racktime part of a rack at all check out this youtube video

Thanks for a the replies. The Ortlieb system looks good. I guess we don't have to use RackTime just because that system is built into our racks.

Alaskan, you still use a Kinekt on a bike with full suspension? Does it really help that in addition to having a rear suspension? I've got one on my Trek Police Electric (front suspension only), but I've got a Delite coming soon with full suspension and I had considered skipping the Kinekt...

Alaskan, you still use a Kinekt on a bike with full suspension? Does it really help that in addition to having a rear suspension? I've got one on my Trek Police Electric (front suspension only), but I've got a Delite coming soon with full suspension and I had considered skipping the Kinekt...

Alaskan, I see your reply, but it looks like you quoted me and, wrote nothing new yourself, so all I see is my last post?

Up until this month I would have said go ahead with the Kinekt. It really does add to the comfort, even with a full suspension bike like my Homage Rolhoff HS. The rear shock is great for the potholes, roots and major dips but the body float still serves well in dealing with the higher frequency chatter and little flaws in the road surface. Combined they do better than either one does alone. However in mid April I picked up a slightly used (890) miles 2018 Delight Mountain that came equipped with a dropper post. I have been spoiled by the ease of mounting and dismounting you get with a step through frame like the Homage. The dropper post is so handy. I now automatically drop the seat 100mm every time I stop at a light or get off the bike. At the light I can sit on my saddle with both feet flat on the ground watiing for the light. After a pause in the ride, when I get back on, it is really easy to toss my right leg over the lowered saddle. It all just requires a momentary extra maneuver when starting out.... a quick pause to stand on the pedals and push the button to pop the seat back up into the ride position. For the Delight I will keep the dropper post on and forego the added comfort afforded by the Kinekt Body Float. I spoke with the guys at Kinekt and they pointed out that most of the advantage given by a dropper post gets eaten up by the added elevation that the body float mechanism occupies. Thus a dropper Body Float really won't work very well.

Fascinating, thanks for the info! I too am looking forward to the dropper post, as I have a hard time getting over non-stepthru frames. Suppose I'll stick with that for the Delite and forego Kinekt on it. Thanks again for all your help, for whatever reason your choice/taste in ebikes and addons exactly matches my own and it's been great picking up tips from your posts/photos. Thanks again for all your contributions. I'm still surprised at how small the online ebike community seems!

Fascinating, thanks for the info! I too am looking forward to the dropper post, as I have a hard time getting over non-stepthru frames. Suppose I'll stick with that for the Delite and forego Kinekt on it. Thanks again for all your help, for whatever reason your choice/taste in ebikes and addons exactly matches my own and it's been great picking up tips from your posts/photos. Thanks again for all your contributions. I'm still surprised at how small the online ebike community seems!
Your quite welcome. I love riding my ebike, outfitting it and working on it. It is fun sharing what I have learned with others.

Your quite welcome. I love riding my ebike, outfitting it and working on it. It is fun sharing what I have learned with others.
Hi Alaskan, can you please tell me where you got your fender extensions? The mud flaps. I have been looking for a pair. The OEM fenders just aren't long enough and I find my shoes get wet just riding through a simple puddle. Yours fit the shape of the Homage fenders perfectly. Thanks.

They have a bar of soft metal at the top where the tabs are on both sides. You just bend and wrap the tabs around the end of the fender, press them firmly with a pair of smooth jaw pliers around the edge and they stay put.

Back