Ordering parts time line?

purchased a 1.0 step thru for my wife. its been sitting for over a year now due to many health issues. shes finally ready to give it a try. got the battery charged but the display screen wont turn on or do anything. i own an original 1.0 so i was able to switch the display cable. the good news is that the the bike works so its gotta be the display. call Lectric up and order a new screen as its out of warranty although never used... tomorrow will be day 5 since paying. is this normal for ordering parts.? just venting a bit because we are leaving on a trip next week and im guessing the display wont be here by then... gotta say the whole thing is dissapointing. i looked for 3rd party display screens but not sure if they will work even though the m5s all look the same and coming from China would be weeks to months.

Two thoughts: logistics is horrible across the board right now. If Lectric didn't have this in stock you could be waiting a couple of months. Even if they have it in stock, trips that used to take 3 days can take a week or longer. Second, clean the contacts on the bad display as well as on the cables going into it. Use a tiny bit of dielectric grease or some Boeshield T9 or ACF50 if you have it. Brush it in. Hook the displa up and try it again. Most likely it's a bad display but it could be some little bit of corrosion on the contacts. You might be back up and running tonight at almost no cost.

TT

I ordered one of their new long range batteries last week. It took 7 days from when I ordered to get here in central Arizona, about 100 miles from their Phoenix location. Stuff takes a while, even if it in stock.

lil update...thanks for the info.its saturday and still havent received a tracking number.the agent on monday when placing the order never said if the displays were in stock.i would hope if they werent he would have said it could be a while coming from China... i did call late friday for an update and got right through to an agent. Mondays call was near an hourwait.i was told that only a supervisor could o.k. the order into a priority. being im leaving monday now it really doesnt look good anyway i told the agent... i said people are so use to Amazon getting things in a day or 3 spoils us all now. lol...i would have payed extra for faster shipping but its not an option. i did check all the contacts for dirty bent or broken pins but they all look great.when swapping the wires with my other bike everything works so i have to think its the display. looking through all the after market options there are a few m5 displays on the sites that look the same but require a UART#2 Communication protocol. i may dig into this a bit unless somebody knows. just fustrating especially since the bike has lived its life in a box. in doing some searched i do see others that had my issue so when this display arrives i will look at getting a spare. be great if these bikes were designed like a vehicle with a get it home mode. i will update the rest of this process. thanks much ~

lil update...thanks for the info.its saturday and still havent received a tracking number.the agent on monday when placing the order never said if the displays were in stock.i would hope if they werent he would have said it could be a while coming from China... i did call late friday for an update and got right through to an agent. Mondays call was near an hourwait.i was told that only a supervisor could o.k. the order into a priority. being im leaving monday now it really doesnt look good anyway i told the agent... i said people are so use to Amazon getting things in a day or 3 spoils us all now. lol...i would have payed extra for faster shipping but its not an option. i did check all the contacts for dirty bent or broken pins but they all look great.when swapping the wires with my other bike everything works so i have to think its the display. looking through all the after market options there are a few m5 displays on the sites that look the same but require a UART#2 Communication protocol. i may dig into this a bit unless somebody knows. just fustrating especially since the bike has lived its life in a box. in doing some searched i do see others that had my issue so when this display arrives i will look at getting a spare. be great if these bikes were designed like a vehicle with a get it home mode. i will update the rest of this process. thanks much ~
You can't inspect for dirty contacts. You have to clean them. They may be fine but if you haven't tried cleaning them you should.

TT

your right its such a simple thing to try...didnt try cleaning them yet but i didnt see anything crazy in there... bright shiny gold pins that were straight and not bent. i would think plugging them and unplugging them a couple dozen times like i did would make it connect but will try cleaning.i do have some gold contact cleaner spray from my home repair days... i dont believe in using things like die-electric grease on multi pin plugs. in the past ive seen pins dissove away and turn into green mush. ny guess is voltage currents over time straying. even though its suppose to be non conductive... might be good for 2 wire lighting plugs to keep water out but when you have multiple pins and function wires in a tiny area plug i believe clean and dry is better. i know people try to keep these things water tight but i would rather just throw a zip lock over it and not ride if rain is around...i found a color code diagram for theUART#2. not sure if they use this protocol but maybe down the road and can test the wires.

I recall a reddit thread in the last week where a used display was shipped to a 2.0 customer under warranty for use until new spares arrive.

Caig DeoxIT is what I use for contact cleaning. It has been the standard for vintage electronics restoration and in use by some of the best minds in high end audio industry for as long as I can remember.

display is working great!. got 3 miles on it just paying around on a long paved parking area. the wife was a little concerned about being able to do 7-8 mph in PAS 1. dont know if thats normal but she thought it was bit much power. lol.. love this 1.0 step through. wish my 1.0 was a step through but maybe reason to get a new one down the road.... saw another Lectric bike cruise by the nearby trail. kewl stuff!!!!

Back