Ordered My First Ever E Bike Today!!

Jerry LM

Well I finally got one on the way, been thinking about it now for months, got a special sale email from Evelo for 700 dollars off for 72 hours so it pushed me into a sale...I ordered the Galaxy TT Fully Loaded with the hydraulic brakes, electronic shift, belt drive, and the 350W mid drive motor.
I have looked at many many bikes and rode a couple but no one offered me 4 yr warranty, and discount on battery replacement and 20,000 miles! That is about the best I have seen.
I really wanted the belt drive as I think in the future belts will win out overall and the 380 NuVinci offers the manual as well as auto. So I am pretty excited right now about finally getting one. At 2799.00 I think it's a lot of bike with really upgraded components. Will have it next week.
Also when I call them you get instant answer and service, I just feel they are a really well run company and certainly some of the nicest people I have talked to, they never lose patience , I have emailed them at least ten times with questions and always been answered in a matter of hours or less.
Wish me luck. Now I need to go out and find a bike helmet, my cheap one or baseball cap won't do now, any suggestions as to brand??? Thanks Jerry

Welcome to the club, officially! Be sure to hit the forums here, for "pics of your bike" and "pics where you ride" to share when you get out riding on it!

Fantastic and welcome to the club! Sounds like you are off to a great start with your future E-bike adventures. I also like the Gates carbon belt drive on an E-bike. Looks like future innovations in this space will become more common. No more chains to keep greased. Just hose it down and let dry overnight. That's all that is needed from what I have seen and read. Good luck and congrats!

Quote Now I need to go out and find a bike helmet, my cheap one or baseball cap won't do now, any suggestions as to brand??? close quote
I like the Fox Rampage, with chin guard. I broke my chin spilling off the bike Thanksgiving eve, 7 weeks of liquid diet is no fun. comes in bright yellow. I found mine at Jensonusa.com
Has lots of vents in it. I did not have trouble with sweat this summer.

Thanks for the helmet advice and the 20.000 miles refers to the warranty on Evelo bikes..........4yrs or 20, 000 miles

You got a good deal! That a lot of bang for the buck for sure.

That belt drive, maybe in a few years for me. Gotta start filling up the piggy bank ?

Indianajo that fox rampage is a pretty serious looking helmet a little more confining than I think I could get used to though...

Quote Now I need to go out and find a bike helmet, my cheap one or baseball cap won't do now, any suggestions as to brand??? close quote
I like the Fox Rampage, with chin guard. I broke my chin spilling off the bike Thanksgiving eve, 7 weeks of liquid diet is no fun. comes in bright yellow. I found mine at Jensonusa.com
Has lots of vents in it. I did not have trouble with sweat this summer.
Look for a helmet with mips technology. Virginia Tech does some real world testing and found 4 helmets that were highly rated. https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2018/06/ictas-bikehelmetratings.html

Specialized Chamonix MIPS is one of the few 5 star helmets that can be readily purchased at a reasonable price (make sure you get the mips version)

Enjoy your new bike, I'm sure you will have lots of fun riding it :) I've had mine for 6 months now and it puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it:D

Congrats! For the price, the Evelo seems like a very nice bike. As an owner of a 2013 Trek Soho DLX with the Gates Carbon Drive and Shimano Nexus IGH; that drive system cannot be beat. But there is a learning curve; such as changing a tube when that eventual tire flat occurs. Setting the belt tension once road side repairs are complete. I wish my Haibike Full FatSix had the carbon drive belt system.

Best to practice up on that basic repair before contemplating any ride of longish distance for ease of mind! And along that same train of thought, if this were my bike, I'd be replacing those tires with something like the Schwalbe tires featuring their SmartGuard anti-flat tire technology, to at least give you some amount of protection against road side flat tires.

From everything I've read, I really like this bike and the built-in value it represents.

Thank's Mike, I appreciate good advice such as yours since I am totally new to this. The tires that come with it are it says,,,e bike specific, so I was assuming they are a little better grade? ( CST Caldera 27.5x 2.0 with EPS Belt Protection, Electric-Bike Specific) If not I will replace them down the line. Fortunately I have two bike shops that specialize in e bikes within an hours drive of home so local replacement and repairs should be a little easier. I would have purchased from them but they just couldn't beat this deal.

Mister M thanks for the heads up on the helmets, looking now and will take the mips advice to heart.....

Jerry, I would run with the tires you have, then upgrade to the Schwalbe or similar type tire later on after the CST's wear out. Just looking up on their website, CST seems to have a thick rubber belt in the tire carcass similar to the Schwalbe design. Get out there and enjoy that bike and run it through it's paces. Maybe considering developing a relationship with one of those bikes so you can take it in for initial ride adjustments, post 100 miles or so, then for annual check and adjustments.

Here's a good video on how to disconnect the cables and remove the rear wheel on a Nuvinci system. Looks pretty easy! Link:

And one for reinstallation:

There are numerous videos on Youtube about loosening and tensioning the Gates Carbon Drive belt...

WEll! sitting here waiting for the white Fed EX truck bringing my bike today! Hope it lives up to my expectations, says in the manual I need to put the battery on charge for a full 12 hours first time so that will be a long wait. Won't be able to ride it till tomorrow so I will take my time unboxing and assembling. After waiting so long to get one I feel like a kid at Christmas! Weather is perfect to, a nice 68 degrees and no wind with bright sunshine. The ocean is bright blue today, just beautiful. Also this time of year the tourists have mostly gone home so very little traffic on the roads.

Just put it on the charger while you take your time assembling and going over the bike. Battery will have plenty of juice to go for a test hop as soon as you're ready for it. You don't have to fully charge it on the initial go around. Go play for a few, then top it off.

I remember this feeling earlier this year:D I intended to do about 30 miles on my first ride to get a feel for my bike but I was enjoying it too much to stop and ended up doing almost 67 miles :D Enjoy your first ride, I'm sure you will be smiling all the way:)

Back