Orbea gain, is it possible to change the standard stem for a more angled stem

DaveT9

Hi
i am 62 years old male….5’8” tall with 30 inch inside leg measurement
i had a short test ride on a new medium sized orbea gain d50 today at a store.
It felt that the position was putting pressure on my lower back so would be better if the handlebars were higher so I enquired about the possibility of replacing the current stem with an angled or shorter stem, I was told that orbea designed it that way because cables were intregrated etc…there maybe a possibility that a normal standard angled stem can be fitted, but may cause the cables to erode due to friction with the stem etc.
it seems that the handlebars are much lower than the saddle, I know that is a kind of aero position, but I find I prefer a slightly more upright position as I am getting older. I am surprised that there is a lack of flexibility of adjustment because it would be perfect for me, if I the stem was angled higher thus less pressure on my lower back.
Can I please ask, has anyone had this problem and how did you rectify it please.
thank you

I wouldn't touch that unless it was out of warranty and it was mine.

Why don't you look at their mountain bike line?

orbeao.jpg

Thank you HarryS
i dont really want a mountain type ebike, maybe I should look at a gravel type ebike with a more relaxed geometry.
All these cables hidden in the internally grooved orbea stem look very nice and neat when covered, but there is no room for adjustment and if the orbea stem was removed and a standard angled stem fitted, it would eventually result in erosion of the cables.

I added a stem to my GainM30 that I could angle upward. I had to get some additional spacers so the metal didn't show through, and the cap would fit tight. I didn't even need to add any additional length to the brake lines.
Blues Player

Had a similar problem with my Vibe H30. Too much weight on my wrists and back due to old injuries. Stem change looked too complex so I fitted some riser handlebars that are also swept back a little -all fitted easily and did not cost a lot!. Ride is now so much better and has not ruined the look of my bike. I think they called Trekking bars.

I added a stem to my GainM30 that I could angle upward. I had to get some additional spacers so the metal didn't show through, and the cap would fit tight. I didn't even need to add any additional length to the brake lines.
Blues Player
Can I ask what stem you used? I am having the same issue. I can go shorter, ie from 100 to 80 but would like a riser as well.

I just had that problem and it was solved by the mechanics Curtis and Sean at Cycle Logic in Kamloops. Here is what they came up with. I said I needed two inches back and three up as the Orbea, even with Jones Bars was just too low for my neck. So, I camn be done. Not as pretty but I did not buy to hang on the wall! Let me know if you want more information.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 500
Can I ask what stem you used? I am having the same issue. I can go shorter, ie from 100 to 80 but would like a riser as well.
'I used a Ritchey 4-way adjustable stem. It comes in three different lengths and I used the shortest one which was 90mm. It also came in 105 and 120mm I believe. The 90 mm was all I needed but any would fit. With the 90mm I didn't need to change the hydraulic brake lines.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have not been on the forum in some time. I hope this information can help you.

Back