Orbea Gain for commuting?

HI all

Part 10 (sure feels that way!) of first ebike for commuting 4ks to work. Orbea Gain road bike considerations? My only caveat is really the lack of a rack, mudguards and lights.

4km isn't far, so the smaller battery of the Gain won't matter. It is really conceived of however as a bike for road enthusiasts who just want a little help uphill, and otherwise intend to be riding above 25kph under their own power. Not as a commuting platform. I like the stealth look and idea. For commuting, lights, rack and fenders are essential. You should be able to add these to the Gain. Running the lights off the main battery will probably not work. (So just use rechargeable detachable lights, or get a dynamo hub.) If you want to go on long road rides for fitness and/or fun (in addition to commuting) then this could be a nice choice. If you just want to accomplish your short commute, you can do that for less money with some other bike that will have more range and power, and include the essential lights, rack and fenders. Nothing will come close on weight however.

For me, nice road rides are appealing and its something a standard commuting ebike might not be good at. Lycra does appeal =) However, being a beginner cyclist i do need the help. I'd assume in this case the Gain is a good choice?

It could be a good choice. It is a new model and hasn't really shipped in sufficient quantities for there to be a lot of data as to how it performs in the real world, what technical issues there might be etc. As well as how users really like the bike. I find this concept of bike really interesting; and there should be some other new models in the space coming. It bears considering however that a bike of this concept may be more appealing as a concept, than as an actual bike. Beginning ebike riders often become obsessed with the weight of the bike, which they later learn is at best a secondary concern for most e-bikers. I would recommend riding whatever bike you are considering before you buy it, to make sure it feels the way you want it to feel.

Last edited:
I've put in a tentative order for a Gain, due to arrive in a month or so. It does look like the ebike of the future though. Whats the innovation isnt really the electronics, its the price. A similar Fazua based bike with the same groupset, would easily cost $7k AUD, whereas the RRP of the Gain for the same groupset is $4.8k AUD thereabouts.

I've put in a tentative order for a Gain, due to arrive in a month or so. It does look like the ebike of the future though. Whats the innovation isnt really the electronics, its the price. A similar Fazua based bike with the same groupset, would easily cost $7k AUD, whereas the RRP of the Gain for the same groupset is $4.8k AUD thereabouts.
Looking forward to your review and photos!

Be sure to let us know how it works out!

That's OK. According to the distributor, Orbea only really make the Gains according to the orders. As I'm a cycling novice I've gravitated to the sports side (which is why the Gain) and I'm now collecting all the lycra wear and accessories while waiting.

Nah, I didn't pay rrp. Discounts to be had.. But its difficult, as the bikes are almost made to order and there isn't floor stock anywhere.

Yeah that's the trouble I'm having, stores are telling me they are special order and can't discount. I'll keep at it.

Hey Melbourne23, got any idea why the equivalent flat bar bike is $1000 RRP more than the drop bar? Seems odd?

By equivalent I mean F20 vs D30. There are minor differences, but from my quick search and doing some calculations the drop bar guys are getting hammered for no real reason? For $1000 I'm getting close to a di2 conversion between F20 and D30.

Hmm, I think I'll try and get a good deal on the flat bar and put a nice after market drop bar.

Back