Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

I ended up having it shipped because there’s no guarantee it’ll be in when I’m in the UK. That actually made it cheaper since I don’t have to pay VAT.

When is your delivery? I need one pre August 1st. Not sure we will see them in NA prior to that.

On the battery extender, a few questions come to mind:

--Weight? I'm guessing about 3 lbs.
-- Can it be locked to the bike? I'm guessing no.
-- Priority of discharge, internal or auxiliary? This would matter to me because I can see keeping one at my office, from which I often have to run errands. If I can keep a charged aux battery at the office and "use" that charge for the errands, saving the internal battery charge for the ride home, that would be a huge help. If it depletes the internal battery first, then that's less ideal for me.

I realize there's very little info on this product yet.

On the battery extender, a few questions come to mind:

--Weight? I'm guessing about 3 lbs.
-- Can it be locked to the bike? I'm guessing no.
-- Priority of discharge, internal or auxiliary? This would matter to me because I can see keeping one at my office, from which I often have to run errands. If I can keep a charged aux battery at the office and "use" that charge for the errands, saving the internal battery charge for the ride home, that would be a huge help. If it depletes the internal battery first, then that's less ideal for me.

I realize there's very little info on this product yet.

Wow! That must be some commute if you are are thinking you need the extender to run your day trips. You are right though not much info so far. Here is a link to as much info as I can find. https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/x35-range-extender/

Interesting to note it can be used to recharge in 3 different modes as described in article. If I am understanding correctly it appears you will be able use it in the mode you described. It doesn't appear to having a locking mechanism other than one to secure it to the accompanying bottle cage. Unfortunately I think you are right it's going to add about 3 lbs to the weight.

My desired use for it is for longer distances hopefully for the 3 or 4 Century Rides I used to be able to do and a few other 100 km + rides with greater elevation. I am presently getting 120 km+ by using the power only when needed but can also see a time in the future when I may need/want to use it all the time. Most of my rides are in the 65-100 km range and I am never running past 50% only using power when needed.

Hopefully some of our friends in Europe can share their expiriences with us when they start receiving them.

https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/x35-range-extender/

Interesting to note it can be used to recharge in 3 different modes as described in article. If I am understanding correctly it appears you will be able use it in the mode you described. It doesn't appear to having a locking mechanism other than one to secure it to the accompanying bottle cage. Unfortunately I think you are right it's going to add about 3 lbs to the weight.

Oh good, that does make it more useful. I'll probably be getting one of these.

My commute is 16 miles each way, and sometimes I want to ride another 10-12 miles during the day over San Francisco hills (skirting the biggest ones, of course). And it's commuting, so there's times when I'm loaded down and/or need to get to my destination without working up a big sweat. The extender will give me more options.

Certainly not trying to second guess you but from the longish commute you're describing, the hilly terrain, and the need to arrive at work without sweating I'm wondering why you decided on the Orbea? I'm waiting on one myself, but it's mainly for exercise with the power being more of a back up due to health issues. For someone who seems to be looking more for transportation would a bike with more power and a bigger battery maybe work out better? These aren't cheap bikes and the extra battery will probably round about $800. Just wondering why an Orbea with what is more of an assist "just enough" system instead of an ebike with more power and range?

Certainly not trying to second guess you but from the longish commute you're describing, the hilly terrain, and the need to arrive at work without sweating I'm wondering why you decided on the Orbea? I'm waiting on one myself, but it's mainly for exercise with the power being more of a back up due to health issues. For someone who seems to be looking more for transportation would a bike with more power and a bigger battery maybe work out better? These aren't cheap bikes and the extra battery will probably round about $800. Just wondering why an Orbea with what is more of an assist "just enough" system instead of an ebike with more power and range?

It's a good question. Every day is different, everything is variable. For instance, some days I can arrive at work sweaty, some days I can't. I also have a Stromer. When I'm in a hurry and need to blast through the commute, the Stromer is the right tool. But I prefer the Orbea commuting experience. The auxiliary battery essentially narrows the gap between the Orbea and the Stromer, allowing me to choose the Orbea more often.

Makes tons of sense, these two bikes are about as different from each other as possible. It's kind of like being lucky enough to have an F150 truck for moving days and a Miata for fun days. Between the two you'll always have the right bike type.

Small update now available for Ebikemotion App. Something to do with additional battery, that's ready for shipping shortly.

Just heard from MTB Monster that they're still expecting the range extenders to arrive by end of month. Fingers crossed I'll have it shortly thereafter.

Just heard from MTB Monster that they're still expecting the range extenders to arrive by end of month. Fingers crossed I'll have it shortly thereafter.
I have been also been told that Orbea USA will is expecting a shipment by the end of the month.

Back