Oops! Ended up with my 3rd Raleigh (2019 Detour iE)

I was looking forward to NOT buying a Raleigh from Bicycle Bluebook in San Jose. I already bought a 26" Redux from them for my older son, and a Misceo iE for myself (https://electricbikereview.com/foru...0-w012-torque-error-fix-keep-or-return.29480/).

Anyway, a nice, 500-mile Trek Conduit+ popped up that looked great for my wife. I made an offer and went to pick it up. Too bad, it was advertised as a Medium but turned out to be a Large, Oops!, too big to fit my 5'6" wife.

So turns out they had a 2019 Detour half-advertised -- on eBay, but not their main page. It was nearly new, all of 2 miles on it and no scratches. We worked out a price that was a little more than the Trek, but under $1000. I'd be giving up built-in lights and Shimano hydraulics (Tektros instead), but in return upgrading to from an E6000 to an E6100 with the newer style display, a more useful rear rack, and Schwalbe Big Apples. I can swap out the Detour's wide saddle and swept-back bars if my wife doesn't like them to get a cockpit closer to the Trek's.

I don't have anything against Raleigh, I'd just prefer a little bit of variety in the stable. BTW if you remove the saddle and let an 8-year old sit on the rack, the Medium fits "perfectly." :)

Nice score.

If Raleigh's other e-bikes are like their Tamland iE, I wouldn't be at all sad that Raleigh is all you had. My Tamland is my favorite e-bike!

If I have one issue to pick with Raleigh, it's a lack of consistency. They'll change up a drive unit from one year to the next. So my 2015 Misceo with a Shimano mid-drive morphed into a SunTour hub drive in 2019. Maybe this just doesn't matter over the course of time, but I think this is a defining characteristic for a model.

So I'll say this: I switched up my wife's new Detour with a usable saddle (off the Misceo!), straight bars, and a shorter stem, to get a more traditional riding position. The Shimano E6100 drive system is noticeably refined compared to the E6000 on my Misceo. Quieter, torquier, and smoother. The new display and wider buttons are a nice touch. The one caveat is my Misceo uses a Alfine hub and Di2 shifting, so this isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. I indended to install an Alfine on this bike, too (well, on the Trek that didn't work out), but I think the Detour's closed dropouts will prevent me from doing that, unless I'm willing to get the Dremel out.

If I have one issue to pick with Raleigh, it's a lack of consistency. They'll change up a drive unit from one year to the next. So my 2015 Misceo with a Shimano mid-drive morphed into a SunTour hub drive in 2019. Maybe this just doesn't matter over the course of time, but I think this is a defining characteristic for a model.

So I'll say this: I switched up my wife's new Detour with a usable saddle (off the Misceo!), straight bars, and a shorter stem, to get a more traditional riding position. The Shimano E6100 drive system is noticeably refined compared to the E6000 on my Misceo. Quieter, torquier, and smoother. The new display and wider buttons are a nice touch. The one caveat is my Misceo uses an Alfine hub and Di2 shifting, so this isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. I intended to install an Alfine on this bike, too (well, on the Trek that didn't work out), but I think the Detour's closed dropouts will prevent me from doing that unless I'm willing to get the Dremel out.

I agree that Raleigh has been inconsistent with its model naming convention and it will hurt the brand in the long run.

My 2016 Misceo Sport ie with the Shimano Steps mid-drive has been great with no issues... now the 2019 Misceo comes with a hub drive, a step backward huh?

Yep, not to mention the overall aesthetic .The model started from a very refined looking purpose-built commuter with the carbon fork (mine, used, came with a cheesy suspension fork that I swapped for a very out-of-place looking Surly I had laying around). The 2019 has a 1990's Rockhopper/Walmart vibe going on. Apologies to anybody who owns one -- I'm not trying to offend.

The Detour, on the other hand, seems to have evolved in the right direction. Although I'm surprised it still has the Shimano drive while the Misceo doesn't. And while I appreciate what the Detour is, I think it's kind of weird that it's a 700c bike with a wide saddle and the swept back riser. That's fine though, easily changed to meet my (her/our) needs!

Hey, it's been a few weeks, here's an update.

Excellent timing (pat on back) for the shelter in place. My wife gave me the stink-eye when I brought this bike home, but she's been riding it every weekend. She's even made a cross-town meal delivery.

Other than the ridiculously wide saddle and stock upright position -- both solved -- my biggest criticism is that the stock gearing was too high. The 44x34T low gear caused her to stall out and dramatically eat it (she pegged a good sized pothole right as she was running out of steam) at the top of a steep climb.

The antidote was to put another $190 into the bike and upgrade the drivetrain to an SLX 11-speed with an 11-42 cassette. That's about 20% lower gearing, and on the same pitch that gave her trouble, the motor had no difficulty pulling her up. Added bonus is it's much crisper shifting than the stock Aliveo, with a 2-way release, and I believe she can dump three or four gears with a single thumb press.

The caveat with this was a gotcha that ambushed me: the Detour's 19+ inch chainstay length hosting a 44T chainring and 42T pie plate needs A LOT of chain -- 124 links to be precise. The stock 116-link chain that came with the new group set didn't cut it. A local shop had the 138-link e-bike specific CN-E8000-11 on the shelf for an astounding $80!!!

In any case, my wary wife has warmed to her new bike and has given in to riding on the streets. After ride no. 5 (when she ate it), she actually thanked me and said she enjoyed the outing. I'm sure we'll be back on the trails on our mountain bikes soon enough, but honestly, I'm kind of digging not having to load bikes on the car to drive to the trailhead, and the relatively quiet Oakland hills are a far cry from pedaling the aggressive streets of San Francisco that put a bad taste in her mouth so many years ago.

Hey, it's been a few weeks, here's an update.

Excellent timing (pat on back) for the shelter in place. My wife gave me the stink-eye when I brought this bike home, but she's been riding it every weekend. She's even made a cross-town meal delivery.

Other than the ridiculously wide saddle and stock upright position -- both solved -- my biggest criticism is that the stock gearing was too high. The 44x34T low gear caused her to stall out and dramatically eat it (she pegged a good sized pothole right as she was running out of steam) at the top of a steep climb.

The antidote was to put another $190 into the bike and upgrade the drivetrain to an SLX 11-speed with an 11-42 cassette. That's about 20% lower gearing, and on the same pitch that gave her trouble, the motor had no difficulty pulling her up. Added bonus is it's much crisper shifting than the stock Aliveo, with a 2-way release, and I believe she can dump three or four gears with a single thumb press.

The caveat with this was a gotcha that ambushed me: the Detour's 19+ inch chainstay length hosting a 44T chainring and 42T pie plate needs A LOT of chain -- 124 links to be precise. The stock 116-link chain that came with the new group set didn't cut it. A local shop had the 138-link e-bike specific CN-E8000-11 on the shelf for an astounding $80!!!

In any case, my wary wife has warmed to her new bike and has given in to riding on the streets. After ride no. 5 (when she ate it), she actually thanked me and said she enjoyed the outing. I'm sure we'll be back on the trails on our mountain bikes soon enough, but honestly, I'm kind of digging not having to load bikes on the car to drive to the trailhead, and the relatively quiet Oakland hills are a far cry from pedaling the aggressive streets of San Francisco that put a bad taste in her mouth so many years ago.

Congratulations on the timing or your recent purchase and maintaining domestic harmony! ;)

Enjoy riding the beautiful foothills of the East Bay... Oakland/Berkeley/Montclair/Piedmont.

Back