Online E-Bikes - is it a scam?

Having a local bike shop is like having a local book store. It is not going to be there if people don't support it. Here is the kid's section of my local book store. Used book are in the basement. The latest releases are just as you walk in. With signed books strait ahead and staff picks to the left.
View attachment 156032View attachment 156033
As I probably mentioned in other threads, it IS possible to have a good relationship with an LBS even if you buy a bike online.

It helped me that I'd had my acoustics worked on by my shop, but I was upfront with them: "I probably won't buy my bike here, but I'm going to do plenty of mods, I'm going to be spending a lot of money here, I trust you guys, and I really want us to have a good relationship." Of course, they tried to sell me a bike off their floor first, which I understand, and charged me through the nose for my first few maintenance visits, which I also understand, though that was partly due to labor and parts shortages during the pando. At first, they even said they didn't service Shimano... but that was in 2020. Now, they're dealers.

Fast forward a few years, and they've been outstanding-- and I notice the markups and maintenance costs have dropped considerably. Just like going to my auto mechanic, I love hanging around and talking with the mechanics and other customers.

I love hanging around and talking with the mechanics and other customers
I go to local bike shops daily. It is like a bald guy hanging at the barber shop. Tuesday I will dismantle a mid-drive Bafang at one shop, pack it with grease and reassemble it. I will bring my own tools and supplies. The folks at the shop don't like that sort of thing. So they are farming it out to me. By the way, people tell me all the time that I look like Tom Hanks, then I ask them in what role? I know which one.

By the way, people tell me all the time that I look like Tom Hanks, then I ask them in what role? I know which one.
This one?
th.jpg

I bought a Ride1Up Prodigy last Thanksgiving. I am quite happy with it. Having previously owned a BH Atom Diamond Wave Pro, and having tried out a lot of ebikes, I had a good idea what I was looking for. The BH I bought from a LBS, and the BH had the best warranty in the business. Until they left the North American market and left all BH owners high and dry, not only for warranty work but also for replacement parts. When my battery got fried, I could not get it fixed or replaced. Since we are moving to Europe in 2024, my plan is to take the BH with me and get a battery there for it.

Meanwhile I need a bike here until then. I knew I wanted a Brose motor, and in the US, that means Specialized or Bulls, pretty much. Both of which are quite pricey, though they both have good reputations regarding support. But I got burned by BH and I am not going to forget that lesson.

Along comes Ride1Up, and it has pretty much everything I wanted in an ebike, except the battery is only 500wh, whereas the BH was 605. I figured I could swap out various parts from my BH if I didn't like the Prodigy's components. I did swap out the adjustable stem, handlebars and grips (the Prodigy handlebars and grips were OK, but the BH's were better.) The stock seat is remarkably comfortable for me. The geometry is also very comfortable. Also the Prodigy is a Class 3, while the BH a Class 1.

Thanks to getting Covid and then winter setting in, I have only put on about 200 miles, so I feel I haven't given it that much of a trial, but I can say that so far it is everything I need. It is responsive and fun to ride, and has great torque, which is the most important aspect to an ebike for me. Everything seems solidly made. (No, not as well made as my husband's Vado 6, but at $2200 or so, it is half the price of the Vado.) Only time will tell if parts start crumbling or malfunctioning, so at 200mi I can't really judge.

Having experience with quite a few ebikes, I was comfortable ordering from Ride1Up in Arizona (or is is New Mexico?..) because I knew what I wanted and should expect. I would not be comfortable ordering from Amazon or Alibaba, but from a US company, yes. (Yes, I know 98% of ebikes are composed of parts from China, but being on the same page about how business and customer service are conducted is still important.) Also, if it is your first ebike, I would still recommend buying from an LBS if an LBS has a bike you like. But my experience with Ride1Up is all positive.
I have a Prodigy ST with over a thousand miles on it. It is my third bike and no complaints on this brand what so ever. LOVE IT. Would buy another Prodigy from Ride1up in a hartbeat.

All my bikes were purchased online from three different companies(Ariel Rider/Biktrix/Rize) and all three have had fantastic customer service, in fact i would say that all three have gone above and beyond to help at times and all three bikes are fantastic!
I have a Rize. Worst service imaginable. HORRIBLE bike. RIze MD.

Rad Power Bikes sell online but they also have showrooms with service centers. A guy in the hardware store yesterday was so excited about this 'Mountain Bike." I didn't have the heart to tell him, 'Nope, it is not a mountain bike'. 'It has a heavy spring loaded pogo-fork and is a hub-drive so it can't go on a mountain.' It also weighs three times more than a mountain bike.
1687796681339.png

Last edited:
Rad Power Bikes sell online but they also have showrooms with service centers. A guy in the hardware store yesterday was so excited about this 'Mountain Bike." I didn't have the heart to tell him, 'Nope, it is not a mountain bike'. 'It has a heavy spring loaded fork and is a hub-drive so it can't go on a mountain.'
View attachment 156809
why can’t a hub drive be a mountain bike? i mean most MB riders aren’t on technical trails. We’re so quick, it sometimes seems, to forget there are options like cooling that can make a hub motor a real beast of a climber. Example, Grin.

Oh, that guy lives across the street from a trail with a 3700 foot climb with up to 17.2% grades. He is going to find out for himself. I did it on New Years Day 2022 when it was all mud. That was fun. I was at his house once and diagnosed his wife's bike.
1687807837426.jpeg
1687807932757.jpeg

Rad Power Bikes sell online but they also have showrooms with service centers. A guy in the hardware store yesterday was so excited about this 'Mountain Bike." I didn't have the heart to tell him, 'Nope, it is not a mountain bike'. 'It has a heavy spring loaded pogo-fork and is a hub-drive so it can't go on a mountain.' It also weighs three times more than a mountain bike.
View attachment 156809
you find out pretty quick when you hit the rough slopes, however unsprung weight has a bit to do with it and of course the ever present solution to a lot of ebike problems, wait for it-"Rider participation" Small battery and a light quality hub motor can help quite a lot, just dont expect miracles. On the subject of LBS, the only thing that keeps some of them in business is because they are the only game in town( found that out Sunday and previously)

I purchased the Emerald Fold, which (I think) is completely online. I haven't seen it in any bike shops or any shop for that matter. I could not have asked for a better bike. I had a thread asking about where the best bike trails in the bay area (northern california) are. I'll tell you this, I've taken this bike on the sand and in the mountains and it handles both with ease. Just wanted to pass along my completely online purchase story.

As I probably mentioned in other threads, it IS possible to have a good relationship with an LBS even if you buy a bike online.

It helped me that I'd had my acoustics worked on by my shop, but I was upfront with them: "I probably won't buy my bike here, but I'm going to do plenty of mods, I'm going to be spending a lot of money here, I trust you guys, and I really want us to have a good relationship." Of course, they tried to sell me a bike off their floor first, which I understand, and charged me through the nose for my first few maintenance visits, which I also understand, though that was partly due to labor and parts shortages during the pando. At first, they even said they didn't service Shimano... but that was in 2020. Now, they're dealers.

Fast forward a few years, and they've been outstanding-- and I notice the markups and maintenance costs have dropped considerably. Just like going to my auto mechanic, I love hanging around and talking with the mechanics and other customers.
The semi-local LBS around here likes to break one off in you most decent tires $60+ the beat goes on, one shop was going to sell a bike for me ,next day got a phone call, (had me real excited- that was quick!) "no can do, if someone buys it here they would probably expect us to work on it" they were to get a 30% commision. I think the real problem was it would have cut into the sale of the unaffordable "specialized" line $1100 vs $5000 a no brainer I suppose. The LBS around here could take a lesson from a shop that sales ECOTRIC brand that shop gets plenty of business while the higher end shops only get seasonal business from richer clientel, the only thing I can say is the lower end bikes probably fit 80% of the buyers also being the "gateway drug' that gets people hooked on ebikes.

I have a Rize. Worst service imaginable. HORRIBLE bike. RIze MD.
I had good experience with their CS, my only issue was they were for sure not the most speedy but they did take care of me 100%!
I dont have that model i have an RX but the MD does have a BBS02, not really known as a horrible motor, just wondering what you didnt like about your bike?
i have never ridden a bike with a BBS02!

Back