Online E-Bikes - is it a scam?

Not a clue
$2990 with an automatic floating decimal for the cents would be $29.90.
It is true that someone who takes care with assembly will make for a more useful product. For example using assembly grease, proper torque, and tightening patterns. I once had a boss who bragged that he could assemble bikes faster than me. His always got returned.

We have a Ride1up, an Espin and an Lectric. Decent bikes. As previous poster said look at reviews.
I have a very similar set of ebikes and recently sold a Frey CC. I have been more than happy with each ebike that I bought online with a little faith and reviews including reviews produced by this website. A little late to the party, but to answer the OPs question, my answer is no, online purchasing of ebikes is not a scam...

I have done assembly of online only bikes. They are all over the map. One had matt black paint flaking off yellow primer with dropouts that were the wrong size and shape with tires you could slice open with a thumb nail. Some are very nice, quality. Again, some have odd design quarks that require work arounds such as if you lower the seat it will short the battery.

I bought a Blix Packa online recently and have actually been pretty happy with it! Many of these online companies are starting to have places around the US where you can test them. If you're worried, I recommend checking to see if you've got those test-ride places around you. Since I have kids I like to ride with, I got into a showroom to check out how stable and sturdy the bike was, and I was really pleased.

All my bikes were purchased online from three different companies(Ariel Rider/Biktrix/Rize) and all three have had fantastic customer service, in fact i would say that all three have gone above and beyond to help at times and all three bikes are fantastic!

Be it resolved, that it is the majority opinion of the experienced members of this Board, that Online E-Bikes are not a "scam", and that there exists ample resources found herein that would protect buyers from being taken advantage of, by unscrupulous, "Fly-By-Night", Charlatans!

Screenshot 2023-04-25 104734.jpg

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken, the Lemond e-bikes are made in the USA, the carbon frames are actually manufactured in Ky I believe. They are pricey but they are also unreal light!

Because when I call I get a real person, speaking clear English, on the other end. Not saying the ebike is any better than others, just has support behind it.

This is a fact.
There are many ebikes out there that are ultimately coming from the same OEM design.
But, Lectric Does stand above others - by providing a legitimate amount of support and parts.

This is a fact.
There are many ebikes out there that are ultimately coming from the same OEM design.
But, Lectric Does stand above others - by providing a legitimate amount of support and parts.
Lectric bikes may make great products, and have stellar support, but unfortunately for me, none of the models shown on their website are of any interest to me. I am interested in an electric assisted bicycle, not an electric moped with pedals. No disrespect there at all, there is a niche in the ebike market for the kind of ebike I am interested in, and there is also a niche for the style of bikes that Lectric Bike creates.
sort of like-do you prefer red or a white wine, or do you prefer dark or milk chocolate. Both are valid options. Diversity makes for a much more interesting world!

as an owner for a monster 100 oraimo, out of the box it's pretty good, i've been using it a daily driver and no issues, I do want to make some changes and upgrade it but they put hard software limitations on that so I'll be having to ask this forum for help with that. I'm very new to the hobbyist scene.

Lectric bikes may make great products, and have stellar support, but unfortunately for me, none of the models shown on their website are of any interest to me. I am interested in an electric assisted bicycle, not an electric moped with pedals. No disrespect there at all, there is a niche in the ebike market for the kind of ebike I am interested in, and there is also a niche for the style of bikes that Lectric Bike creates.
sort of like-do you prefer red or a white wine, or do you prefer dark or milk chocolate. Both are valid options. Diversity makes for a much more interesting world!
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate to visit your LBS and get gouged for a name brand ebike...

as an owner for a monster 100 oraimo, out of the box it's pretty good, i've been using it a daily driver and no issues, I do want to make some changes and upgrade it but they put hard software limitations on that so I'll be having to ask this forum for help with that. I'm very new to the hobbyist scene.
I was in the same boat with my Ride1Up 700XR. Look into replacing the controller, and display, as a set. You’ll find numerous options on Aliexpress, Amazon, and eBay. I highly recommend to look at your existing controller and seeing what type of connections are used. Take good, in-focus, pictures to compare connections. Measure the current, physical size of your controller to see if you can place a new controller in the same location.

Actually, I’m looking at your bike and I don’t see the controller. It maybe located inside the battery cradle. If that is the case, then get familiar with your battery case type. There may be stampings on the case that indicate the case type. There are many types.

I was in the same boat with my Ride1Up 700XR. Look into replacing the controller, and display, as a set. You’ll find numerous options on Aliexpress, Amazon, and eBay. I highly recommend to look at your existing controller and seeing what type of connections are used. Take good, in-focus, pictures to compare connections. Measure the current, physical size of your controller to see if you can place a new controller in the same location.

Actually, I’m looking at your bike and I don’t see the controller. It maybe located inside the battery cradle. If that is the case, then get familiar with your battery case type. There may be stampings on the case that indicate the case type. There are many types.
yeah unfortunately it's in the battery cradle, and is a huge glued mess.

But is that really the problem
First they told the client that he needed 'a new motor.' The 'new' one was used and a dud. It sounded like hell. We sent it back with my orientation markings in green nail polish. Then they sent it back without fixing it but after swapping the motherboard to make it a nine-pin from a six. The bike needs a new controller but the one they sent is not compatible with his bike. The number of wires and their colors and connectors are all of a different species.

Sounds like you are a perfect candidate to visit your LBS and get gouged for a name brand ebike...
Why do you say that? If not for the LBS, I wouldn’t be able to drop in on the fly for a new chain, or shifter cables, or to ask questions about adjustments. I definitely would rather spend my $$$ at my LBS than with an online operation….just my personal preference. I like patronizing local businesses

Having a local bike shop is like having a local book store. It is not going to be there if people don't support it. Here is the kid's section of my local book store. Used book are in the basement. The latest releases are just as you walk in. With signed books strait ahead and staff picks to the left.
1686848534300.jpeg
1686848626647.jpeg

I am a newbie looking for an e-bike for my my wife and myself to cruise around the our beach town in New Jersey. Looking for something entry-level in the under $1500 range. I find our options are some really inexpensive ones on Amazon (Jasion, Oraimo) and a number of online sellers which I am hesitant of as their websites all look the same. I am wondering if there is one manufacture in China behind all these. My facebook feed is flooded with them. Names include; KBO, Ride1uo, Aventon, Rattan, Urtopia, Story, Intheair, Jaison, Cityscape, Murf, Mod, Vtuvie, Back to Modern, Mihogo, Max-Foot, Jetson, MacFoxBike, JackRabbit, Sole and the list goes on daily. I like KBO and Urtopia but wondering if all the bikes on this list are just Huffy's with motors.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
I have an external mid motor which replaces the bottom bracket, a 15ah battery bolted onto the bottle bolts.
These were put on a bike I already had, a Claude Butler hybrid. And it is brilliant! Have had it 3 years and about 7000 miles!

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 67
Back