OK- it is official: the used bike market is INSANE

I checked local listings in my area and an older average analog MTB in good condition is going for $100-$150. I would rather just donate mine to a local bike charity and put it in the hands of someone who never had the means to ride/own a bicycle. Seems like it would be put to better use.

I checked local listings in my area and an older average analog MTB in good condition is going for $100-$150. I would rather just donate mine to a local bike charity and put it in the hands of someone who never had the means to ride/own a bicycle. Seems like it would be put to better use.
I would normally have done the same but charities near me are having a hard time picking things up right now so selling it and having someone take it away 30 min after I posted it was easier! :)

I checked local listings in my area and an older average analog MTB in good condition is going for $100-$150.
I would rather just donate mine to a local bike charity and put it in the hands of someone who never had the means to ride/own a bicycle. Seems like it would be put to better use.

I have donated a number of bikes to local charities.

Unfortunately, the good ones get taken by the staff and the others end up neglected on the street by the homeless. :confused:

Mid drive is out. But what do you think? Rear or front hub conversion?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Saw a swytch (misspelled?) Front Drive Conversion Kit ad of different bikes they could fit and I think they put their hub wheel on the back of one of these ...

When I rode downtown two old guys had set up an easyup (popup pavilion) in their front yard with a couple dozen old bikes they refurbed under it and cars parked clear down the block ...
Pic or it didn't happen so I got a shot of this popup used bikeshop coming home this evening. 20200530_165328.jpg

Saw a swytch (misspelled?) Front Drive Conversion Kit ad of different bikes they could fit and I think they put their hub wheel on the back of one of these ...

Yes! Here is a recent review of the Swytch kit. ;)

It's $800 though :confused: I know nearly half price ($450?) on Indiegogo campaign, but $800 is not exactly cheap for its spec.

Yes, but how do you put a value on an Electric Penny Farthing... it's Priceless! ;)

Yes, but how do you put a value on an Electric Penny Farthing... it's Priceless! ;)

Fun ride for a parade or bike show, but even at EU speed limit a deathtrap or lawsuit waiting to happen.😁

Just listed my Specialized Epic Expert Carbon 29. We'll see how crazy it is around here:). I weighed it just for giggles, weighs 28#! If I could find an ebike to weigh that!

They do not. I won’t say ‘everywhere’ but most places are wiped out. A guy who works for me and lice in Brooklyn wanted a bike. His LBS had 3.

I had people texting me that said they keep FB Marketplace open on their desktop so that they don’t miss things. And they missed mine.
FYI- My city's local Craigs list pages have over 1400 bikes for sale in all categories. Barely a sellers market in my area.

bikes for sale

Last edited:
I would normally have done the same but charities near me are having a hard time picking things up right now so selling it and having someone take it away 30 min after I posted it was easier! :)
I simply put them on my rear car rack and do drop off. Simple, easy, fun and for a great cause. I was able to get 20 plus years of good use from those bikes and can now be moved on to someone less fortunate. Paying it forward is 10 fold payback compared to a couple of hundred $$$ IMO.

I also did that with a couple of old used autos we had. Same way of improving your emotional wellbeing, a win-win situation!;) :)

Last edited:
I have donated a number of bikes to local charities.

Unfortunately, the good ones get taken by the staff and the others end up neglected on the street by the homeless. :confused:

The local one I was referring to has a program for young adults to fix and repair used bikes and allocate them to less fortunate individuals in need of bike transportation. They have qualified bike mechanics on staff that teach young adults the nomenclatures in this space. Very good cause indeed.;)

Yes! Here is a recent review of the Swytch kit. ;)

I really like the tech behind this. If it can come down in $$, a nice alternative to buying a complete E-bike.

A friend of mine bought a new bike this weekend, not used. It was "a friend of a friend has got some bikes for sale but they'll be gone by the end of the day" kind of deal. Not illegal, mind you, just -- I better not advertise these things or I'll be swamped.

I really like the tech behind this. If it can come down in $$, a nice alternative to buying a complete E-bike.

The kit is still available at a discounted price... I believe it was designed in the UK.

Back