OK- it is official: the used bike market is INSANE

I reduced the open hours of my co-op, yet I am working more hours than ever before. I cannot keep used bikes in stock at all. My current inventory is one 20" kids bike and one small mountain bike. Just about as soon as I get a bike refurbished for sale it is sold. In fact I am selling them before they are even ready. I am getting more bikes in for repair as well, and the phone is constantly ringing. When I sleep, I dream about work. I am thankful to be working, but I am stressed out. Thankfully today I can rest.

The kit is still available at a discounted price... I believe it was designed in the UK.

That is a huge discount! Nice to see this is becoming more affordable for others on a budget to get riding again or more frequently.

Well, I have to say that cycling has gone nuts in my already cycling-haven of a town. We are a huge regional draw because we have a wonderful lakefront road. Now, with less traffic, there are more bikes than usual, and neighborhood parents/kids cycling is also off the charts. It's awesome to see. I hope people are learning new habits and will keep on cycling!!!

So this trade paper says much the same ... until the inventory levels come back, used is what people can get

So this trade paper says much the same ... until the inventory levels come back, used is what people can get

The truth... pre-owned is now the new- new! ;)

One might think bikes are manufactured all year round. Can you imagine a situation new cars are available October-May only? I cannot get it.

Are bicycles supplies really not meeting the demand?

If you walk into the bike store, or even Walmart, do they not have anything in stock?

I know there are ebike shortages, but for normal bikes too?
Walmart and basically every other Big Box hasnt had ANY stock since April, maybe some had a few in May. A lot of bike shops ran out thereafter. Now many parts, and many accessories are very hard to find.

And if you don't have your Xmas shopping done by labor day, especially if its any sort of electronic gifts, you are not likely going to find much of anything left by the time Black Friday rolls aound. Many stores can't get any visibility on what they will get or when. Much of the stuff made for the holidays should have been made before end of May. Well the virus knocked out nearly every factory making anything in China for 4 months. Shortages abound in many many industries. Not just bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheap bikes go fast. But anything $2k or up, electric or non, is available.

I need to add another $500 to my budget. :)

I guess now would be a good time to refurbish my regular bike. Maybe a winter project.

If the Covid does not spike, bike sales and service should get back to a normal level, however if it spikes again...

both I bet they are both selling like hotcakes. but the people who bought them will go back to their old ways.

I dont know Foof, since I bought my Ebike, I have rarely driven my car. I think many will see the value and ease of pedal assist and keep their gas guzzlers parked...

I don't even own a car. but I am almost as fast on my bike as it is to drive to work. faster then the bus. Now we have a tandem and my blind wife can go everywhere too. we just did 45 miles today. all our shopping no problem.

yeah, it is interesting how people perceive motor vehicles take no effort compare to ebikes.

Imagine you need to get something really quick from your local grocery store that's only 1 mile away from home.

Most people would rather get into a big V8 powered SUVs and go to the local grocery store.

To me, the effort to drive an SUV, waste gas on a V8 engine 8 passenger vehicle, and when you arrive at the store, find a parking lot, and slowly park there, etc... that just takes too much stress for me.

I'd rather hop on a ebike and go.
Ebikes provide easy hop and go option.

Timpo I am so with you in spirit and my grocery store is about a mile away, but by the time I take out my Kryptonite Ulock, and hitch ole Sport up to the bike rack, I could make 2 round trips in my gas guzzling SUV. Plus my Rockbros bag on the back rack of my Sport will hold maybe 3 beers...

Back