ODK & CC: Speed on the flats

Ian

I was wondering what sorts of cruising speeds people who have ridden the ODK and CrossCurrent have been getting on the flats with moderate pedaling effort? I'm thinking about the amount of pedaling it takes to maintain 15mph on a standard road bike.

I am assuming it's not overly difficult to sustain 28mph with the CC, or even up to 30mph, but I am curious what the 20mph cruise control plus moderate pedaling effort gets you on the ODK on the flats (assume about a 180 lbs rider, minimal cargo for air resistance, ignoring head or tailwinds, smooth pavement, high psi tires).

I would hope you could maintain like 23-25mph but I'm wondering if that's stretching it since the motor is more intended for lower speed torque than a higher speed winding. Is it hard to push past the 20mph mark on an ODK?

Just curious for some input as I am unable to do test rides in my area to verify for myself.
EDIT: I see that the Juiced website lists the ODK speed at 22 mph with throttle plus pedaling, so I think that's my answer!

Last edited:
I do about 21 mph sustained on the flats with the ODK. I'm sure I could get it to 22 mph pedeling a little harder. Combined with lights, stop signs and slower sections (bumps, turns, etc.) I'm doing about 17 mph average on my 23 miles to work.

Yes, 21-22 on totally flat terrain is possible with my ODK. It climbs well and pulls hard. Would not want to go faster on that bike as the ride is too harsh for more speed.

Thanks for the input! Curious to see what kind of average speed I can hit on my 21 mile one-way commute. Will find out in the next couple weeks!

I took my new Cross Currents on a 25 mile group road bike ride more as a break-in ride. I did not get any snide comments like "That's Cheating" as this is an older group of riders and most if not all are friends. I rode the first 12 miles without electric assist as an experiment to see if the bike was ride-able and how much pedaling effort was required to keep the pace at a steady 13-14 mph. Well, with the new Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, pedaling was extremely easy, even on slight grades and staying with the group was easy. On the way back for the remainder of the 12 miles, I had it set on eco and level 1 and 2. I had to take a bathroom break and the nearest Starbucks was about 6 miles away as I was at the beginning of Sunol Blvd in Livermore. I hightailed it riding towards Pleasanton on the bike path and hit a sustained 23 MPH with the boost set to level 2. Made it to Starbucks in no time and way ahead of our group. Was pedaling in the highest gear. I will be getting a little better battery life with the new tires I suspect. Seems to coast a lot further than the stock Kenda E-Bike tires.

@Ian
Did you end up getting either the ODK or CrossCurrent? If so, which one and how is it so far? lol

Take care, ride safe
Marc V

Back