Ocean Current - initial impressions

PasoPete

We pre-ordered 2 Ocean Current Step-Thru's in Feb, and the first week of March they arrived; both in excellent condition as they were very well packed. Only minor assembly needed, and after a check for bolt tightness, airing up the tires, and topping off the batteries we were off. Our only previous E-bike experience was on rented Pedelec Interceptors. We have only put just over 4o miles on our Oceans, but I have to say these bikes are AWESOME. I find I prefer using the PAS vs throttle so I am getting some exercise and am covering alot more ground on a very comfortable-to-ride bike. Today's ride took up up some fire roads and over to a county park, on which we encountered a few 10% + grades on both paved and packed dirt. The cruiser-style may not be the best for these conditions, but these bikes handled it well. I had hoped for a upright ride-style bike that would handle this terrain as well as do close to 25 mph on the flats, and these Oceans have exceeded our expectations. I will update my post after a few more miles. Lots of E-bikes out there to choose from - and we are happy with our choice. Thank you Juiced Bikes !

Cool, I was super impressed with the Ocean Current when I test rode it. I think they're going to be very popular here in coastal Los Angeles county. Beach cruisers are the bike of choice for getting around here.

We also purchased two Juiced bike Ocean Currents we have put over 150 miles on them and the only upgrades I have done was puts the body float seat post on mine
I really like the difference , they really are super fun bikes very well-built at a very reasonable price point from a great company thank you Juiced Bikes

Hey, if you have some time, can you measure the distance from the bottom bracket (center of crank) to the top of the seat tube? I have been trying to get frame gemoertry from Juiced with no luck. My wife is 5'1" and therefore fitting a bike can be difficult. I would love to get her one (and maybe one for me) but until I can verify some dimensions, I'm hesitant. I'd also be interested in the distance from the seat to the handlebars if you wouldn't mind. I would certainly appreciate it!

Hey, if you have some time, can you measure the distance from the bottom bracket (center of crank) to the top of the seat tube? I have been trying to get frame gemoertry from Juiced with no luck. My wife is 5'1" and therefore fitting a bike can be difficult. I would love to get her one (and maybe one for me) but until I can verify some dimensions, I'm hesitant. I'd also be interested in the distance from the seat to the handlebars if you wouldn't mind. I would certainly appreciate it!
I can get those for you tonight
I can tell you my wife is 5' tall and rides hers just fine

That's awesome. I'm sure she will fit fine then, but the measurements would really be greatly appreciated!
Here is what you were looking for
Center of crank to top of seat post is 18 inches
My Wife has her seat 2 inches above that so still had room to go down
The seat post to center of the grip is about 24 inches
Hope this helps
The Juiced Bikes have really made our riding fun

I just received my Ocean Current- First I love the bike BUT.... the set up out of the box was TERRIBLE, both disc brakes were almost unuseable, the shifting was terrible due to cabling being so loose that it would not shift 90 % of the time.Being a person that is not very comfortable with adjusting new bikes, I took to a very qualified shop who took more that 30 minutes getting the brakes right. The guy said he was not sure what the issue was but the brakes were not adjusting as normal brakes and he was very familiar with these brakes. ( I read a post from an e bike dealer that noted that on many of his brakes he was having to actually shim them to get them right, this may be the issue my dealer was wrestling with ) Anyway, 45 minutes later, my dealer had most everything working ok, shifting is still a touch sloppy but about OK about 95% of the time.

I love the bike and I would recommend this bike but I do wish they had the bike out of the box in a much closer state to riding. I was hoping that with putting the handlebars, front tire and seat post on, I would ride away - no luck

Anyway, I am now going to enjoy, it is such a wonderful feeling to be on a completely upright comfortable style beach cruiser but be flying down the road at 24MPH- FANTASTIC !! I also put a thudbuster on for the full magic carpet ride

I just received my Ocean Current- First I love the bike BUT.... the set up out of the box was TERRIBLE, both disc brakes were almost unuseable, the shifting was terrible due to cabling being so loose that it would not shift 90 % of the time.Being a person that is not very comfortable with adjusting new bikes, I took to a very qualified shop who took more that 30 minutes getting the brakes right. The guy said he was not sure what the issue was but the brakes were not adjusting as normal brakes and he was very familiar with these brakes. ( I read a post from an e bike dealer that noted that on many of his brakes he was having to actually shim them to get them right, this may be the issue my dealer was wrestling with ) Anyway, 45 minutes later, my dealer had most everything working ok, shifting is still a touch sloppy but about OK about 95% of the time.

I love the bike and I would recommend this bike but I do wish they had the bike out of the box in a much closer state to riding. I was hoping that with putting the handlebars, front tire and seat post on, I would ride away - no luck

Anyway, I am now going to enjoy, it is such a wonderful feeling to be on a completely upright comfortable style beach cruiser but be flying down the road at 24MPH- FANTASTIC !! I also put a thudbuster on for the full magic carpet ride
Super fun bikes ours came with everything pretty much adjusted .
But did have to adjust the brakes after a little riding on the steep down hill grades

IMG_2126.JPG

Just back from blasting around

Here is what you were looking for
Center of crank to top of seat post is 18 inches
My Wife has her seat 2 inches above that so still had room to go down
The seat post to center of the grip is about 24 inches
Hope this helps
The Juiced Bikes have really made our riding fun

Larry, I just realized I never thanked you for the information. As I am a perpetual fence-sitter, I still haven't purchased a bike yet for my wife. We did convert her bike but the mass of wires isn't appealing at all. I hope to order one very soon.

Can anyone comment on the range with the stock 8.8Ah battery? I know that this is subjective so please include riding condition (flat, hills, PAS, throttle only, etc).

Thanks again!

Well it has been a couple weeks of riding the new ocean current and I could not be happier. The thing I love about the bike which may not be for everyone is the fact that the bike still feels very bike like. On a steep hill, I still have to work, its just that I do not have to kill myself. If you are looking for a bike to power up hills at speed, this may not your bike. Don't get me wrong, it goes up hills just requires your participation at a much reduced level. I very much wanted an e bike that still felt very bike like. On the flats this thing makes a 20 MPH clip pretty effortless. If this sounds like your cup of tea, can not recommend it enough. Thank you juiced bikes, my mileage is wayyyyyy up and it feels like when I used to live on my Schwinn stingray -all day - 50 years ago.

Check your housing. Juiced used brake housing instead of shift housing. Replace that and the bike will shift as specified.

Happy Trails!

Sorry, I am not exactly a bike whiz, can you shoot a picture of what you are talking about as I am not sure what housing you are referring to. If indeed I can swithch something out and it will work, I am excited to do so, please let me know

The shifter cable housing is what comes out of the back of shifter. It goes over the shift cable. It's not hard to change but you need to re-index the gears once you replace it. It's not hard to do if you watch a few youtube videos but it's definitely not beginner stuff.

If you do replace the housing I recommend installing the Shimano polymer coated road shift cables and SP41 cable housing. It's much lower friction which improves shift performance.

http://mbaction.com/uncategorized/garage-files-streamlining-shift-cables-like-a-pro

Just received my Ocean Current today, so impressed by this bike. Comfortable like a beach cruiser, but hauls like a sports car. Rode about 20 miles today, what a thrill.

Back