Occasional clunking on RipCurrent - Bottom bracket?

iamjcl

I notice it occasionally, and because the bike is normally so smooth it really stands out when I hear / feel it.

Seems that it clunks once per pedal rev, generally, but sometimes I think there are multiple sounds, but I think each sound is made at more or less the same place in the pedal rotation.

Chain doesn't look like it has kinked links, bolts holding chain ring to crank spider (not sure of terminology) seem tight, crank bolts seem tight, pedals seem tight and don't make any noises or have any play that I can detect by hand.

When I do get the noise, and it stays ongoing, it seems that if I let the pedals freewheel or back pedal a 1/2 crank or so then resume pedaling the noise / clunking is gone (till the next time).

Will make the noises in any gear I'm pretty sure, with the possible exceptions of smallest cog or 2 maybe - I'm never in those for long so I'm not sure.

Thanks for any direction - I probably need to contact Juiced.

A couple of other possibilities that I've encountered. First, a defect in the rear freewheel/hub that you can usually detect by slowly pedaling and backpedaling with the bike on a lift. A replacement wheel from Juiced was required. A second intermittent knock ended up being my seat - easily diagnosed if it goes away when you pedal standing up. Tightening the seat post screw and the screw(s) holding the seat to the seatpost did the trick. Good luck!

I notice it occasionally, and because the bike is normally so smooth it really stands out when I hear / feel it.

Seems that it clunks once per pedal rev, generally, but sometimes I think there are multiple sounds, but I think each sound is made at more or less the same place in the pedal rotation.

Chain doesn't look like it has kinked links, bolts holding chain ring to crank spider (not sure of terminology) seem tight, crank bolts seem tight, pedals seem tight and don't make any noises or have any play that I can detect by hand.

When I do get the noise, and it stays ongoing, it seems that if I let the pedals freewheel or back pedal a 1/2 crank or so then resume pedaling the noise / clunking is gone (till the next time).

Will make the noises in any gear I'm pretty sure, with the possible exceptions of smallest cog or 2 maybe - I'm never in those for long so I'm not sure.

Thanks for any direction - I probably need to contact Juiced.
Usually when the noise is symmetrical to each revolution, then may not be the BB. Noise from the BB is usually uneven as it requires a specific torque to happen through the revolution. If you are pedaling without much torque and you still hear a symmetrical clunk noise I would look elsewhere (pedals?). But as I said.. "usually"...

Usually when the noise is symmetrical to each revolution, then may not be the BB. Noise from the BB is usually uneven as it requires a specific torque to happen through the revolution. If you are pedaling without much torque and you still hear a symmetrical clunk noise I would look elsewhere (pedals?). But as I said.. "usually"...
Thank you. I do notice a little play in the pedal spindles (not crank arms - pedals themselves). Not sure it's enough to make a noise but that would be an easy fix if that's it. Popped the dust cap off the pedal and to see about tightening the pedal on its spindle, but doesn't seem like a normal nut in there. Not sure how it went together but pedals are cheap so will buy replacements and see.

I'm experiencing the same thing on my CCX. The noise seems to be coming from the chain/chain ring. The bike shifts fine. It seems to happen when I put pressure/torque on the pedals and then when I back pedal it goes away. Sometimes shifting to another gear makes it go away. This happens in various gears. This is especially annoying when pedaling in the tallest gear going 25 mph. I have to put it on a bike stand to see what is going on. I would appreciate any input from members with the same issue.

I'm experiencing the same thing on my CCX. The noise seems to be coming from the chain/chain ring. The bike shifts fine. It seems to happen when I put pressure/torque on the pedals and then when I back pedal it goes away. Sometimes shifting to another gear makes it go away. This happens in various gears. This is especially annoying when pedaling in the tallest gear going 25 mph. I have to put it on a bike stand to see what is going on. I would appreciate any input from members with the same issue.

Please report back if you find the issue.

Thanks!

I get a thunk sound too - but after over 2000 miles I figure its probably fine (RCS gen1).

Mine only happens when at low speed/stop and applying full leg pressure (Power setting of Eco). Typically thunks once or twice and then stops unless I stand up to pump up a hill.

I get that noise too on hard pedaling with every pedal revolution....going to try new performance ball bearing pedals...will report result

I get that noise too on hard pedaling with every pedal revolution....going to try new performance ball bearing pedals...will report result

I just changed my pedals and at first thought it was fixed but it isn't. I'll say I seem to hear the noise/noises less, so I think the cheap pedals may have been contributing their own occasional noise but it wasn't all of it.

I could feel some slight play / wobble in the pedals that came with the bike if I twisted them on their spindles. The ones I bought (which are nothing great, but have a triple bearing system) have none of this play.

I think it could be coming from the cogs or freewheel (not sure of proper terminology) but the rear gear stack as I think @Bosus pointed out above. Whatever one-way ratcheting design that enables you to stop pedaling or pedal backwards may be the culprit I'm thinking.

Last edited:
The drive chain clunking was minimized after I wiped the chain dirt off the chain ring and cogs . I did not reapply lube because only used a dry rag to clean it. I will advise if/when the noise comes back.

Good to know. Mine doesn't have any dirt on it yet to wipe off so that isn't the issue in my case. Have only ridden on paved trails so far.

The clanking sound came back. I put the bike on a repair stand and rotated the crank arms but could not reproduce the sound. The clanking sound starts when moderate to heavy torque is applied at slow speeds as well as fast speeds when I’m really pushing he bike hard. It is very annoying clanking sound. I turned the power assist to zero and the clanking sound is still there. It would sometimes go away when I backpedal and/or apply even torque throughout the crank arm rotation. any thoughts to what may be the problem?

Mine developed into a really noticeable racket - Juiced sent a replacement rear wheel. Should arrive this week. I think I had multiple sources of noise. The occasional clunking I think was a different issue than the other racket that developed in the freewheel or bearings of the rear wheel / motor assembly. Under electric power, there was no noise, but both noises (occasional clunk and the newer constant clicking which definitely was from the rear cog area) could be heard while pedaling.

I installed the new triple bearing pedals...no change. Same noise as what everyone is describing. Juiced must know what the issue is with this...

Yes - I bought a set of pedals with better bearings (the stock ones had some play and I could make them make a noise by manipulating them by hand), and I think every now and then those stock pedals did make a noise while actually riding. But as I mentioned, in my case I think I had the sporadic clunk most are mentioning here, and then another very obvious situation developed that was clearly in the rear wheel. See Here. So if you count the pedals, I may have had 3 sources of spurious sounds.

Yes - I bought a set of pedals with better bearings (the stock ones had some play and I could make them make a noise by manipulating them by hand), and I think every now and then those stock pedals did make a noise while actually riding. But as I mentioned, in my case I think I had the sporadic clunk most are mentioning here, and then another very obvious situation developed that was clearly in the rear wheel. See Here. So if you count the pedals, I may have had 3 sources of spurious sounds.
Did the replacement wheel solve the clunking issues?

Is it a clunk or more like a creak if it is a creak take pedals off grease threads and reinstall also is it only on one side not both cranks or pedals

Is it a clunk or more like a creak if it is a creak take pedals off grease threads and reinstall also is it only on one side not both cranks or pedals
It's not the pedals, the sound is from the drive chain and happens intermittently when torque is applied to the crank arms.

Back