Obscured car plate issue with bike racks

Dionigi

Region
USA
City
Santa Cruz & Pittsburgh
A few weeks ago on our way to the Pine Creek trail in northeast Pennsylvania we were stopped for by a state trooper for having an obscured car license plate. We had our two ebikes on a Thule hitch rack. After this incident I called the PA department of transportation in search of a resolve. Their solution is there is no way to solve the issue. The rack does not qualify as a trailer, if you mount the plate on the rack it must be illuminated but the rack does not have lighting. My solution was to print a copy of the plate and mount it on the rear window. This is also illegal but at least shows an effort. I also noticed the same Thule rack in Europe is designed to accommodate a plate.
Has anyone else have had issues similar to mine.

Last edited:
The law here requires that license plate and the rear lights be unobstructed. The cops don't worry us too much about it but now-n-gain you get a new guy who will usually give a warning. The Thule rack I have has provision for lights and a "supplementary" number plate. Some have a 6x1 piece of timber with trailer lighting clusters at each end and a supplementary plate in the middle. It's bungee strapped to the bikes after they've been loaded and plugged into the trailer wiring harness. Boatees have something similar which they hang over the transom of their boat when traveling to the launching ramp. Supplementary number plates = $19

rego_accessory.jpg

• The accessory plate's size has been exaggerated (close to iPhone).
  • Cost AU$60 (about US$40).
  • DJ72 = Dave & Jen, married 1972. Q for state. Z (zed!) is a filler.
  • Thule Velospace. All vehicle lights replicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the license plate but I did mount stop and turn lights on my rack with a trailer connector. I just feel safer knowing the guy behind me knows what I'm doing.

I live in eastern Pennsylvania and occasionally use a Thule rack on the back of my mini van. I'm aware of the law and my rack does obscure the license plate but so far, I haven't been stopped. It's such a common problem that local law enforcement seems to ignore violations. Most bike rack manufacturers also seem to ignore the problem. You appear to be one of the unlucky few, that I'm aware of, who has been stopped.

BTW, the Pine Creek Trail is one of my favorites. The section through the Pine Creek Gorge is just beautiful! I get out there whenever I can.

When I first bought my e-bike around the end of 2016, I was seeing a lot of press in Michigan discussing the fact that police were actively enforcing and writing tickets to folks transporting their bikes and obstructing their plates. But at the same time, Michigan offered no solution such as issuing a "bike rack plate" such as that mentioned for use in Europe. I think Michigan recently changed the law giving cyclists a break from the bike rack policing:

https://radio.wcmu.org/post/license-plate-obstruction-law-updated-michigan#stream/0

When I first bought my e-bike around the end of 2016, I was seeing a lot of press in Michigan discussing the fact that police were actively enforcing and writing tickets to folks transporting their bikes and obstructing their plates. But at the same time, Michigan offered no solution such as issuing a "bike rack plate" such as that mentioned for use in Europe. I think Michigan recently changed the law giving cyclists a break from the bike rack policing:

https://radio.wcmu.org/post/license-plate-obstruction-law-updated-michigan#stream/0

Over50, thank you for this. We too are in Michigan and have been concerned about this problem without a solution until this law was changed in 2018 in Michigan. As I am thanking you for sharing this, I also emailed the sponsoring legislator to thank her. Other states would do well to follow Michigan's example. Vacationers from other states: come to Michigan and bring your bikes....you won't be harassed for this here! :)

https://wnep.com/2019/05/14/beware-of-bike-rack-bloopers/

In 2018, PA state police cited 1,375 drivers for covered license plates. I think the issue has more to do with revenue than crime. The crime aspect is when the revenue isn't collected. Without an EZ Pass for tolls, many states use Toll by Plate. There is an easy fix, offer an accessory plate in a different color so the plate couldn't be used by someone on an automobile. The state would likely get more revenue than tickets and tolls would never go uncollected. I guess that makes too much sense.

This probably isn't "legal", but customized license plates are available on Amazon for $20. So a second plate, matching your existing, could be mounted to a bike rack. These are real plates, not just applied vinyl lettering.

Your Name Your State Custom Metal License Plate - Choose from All 50 States (Pennsylvania, 6" x 12" Standard Thickness (.030")) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K35DYOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Fhv7CbQY8J1YR

Screenshot_20190528-112615_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This probably isn't "legal", but customized license plates are available on Amazon for $20. So a second plate, matching your existing, could be mounted to a bike rack. These are real plates, not just applied vinyl lettering.

Your Name Your State Custom Metal License Plate - Choose from All 50 States (Pennsylvania, 6" x 12" Standard Thickness (.030")) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K35DYOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Fhv7CbQY8J1YR

View attachment 33672
Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Perhaps the rookie cop looking to write a violation or warning may think twice when seeing this. The driver will get an A for effort. Lets all keep our fingers crossed! LOL

Back