Nothing to do till Sep 15, so I thought I'd get your opinions

tlippy

A buddy and I looked at Trek yesterday. My buddy is interested in an eBike but not enthusiastic about buying a bike online. His concerns were magnified by the Trek dealer's sales pitch.
" You can't believe how many guys bring bikes they bought online in for me to repair. And parts are not available. And most of the China bikes are 60+ pounds. We just have to throw them away." And On=N & ON. I kept my mouth shut during the sales pitch! It's to really tough to compare Trek. They must have 20 different models. And then there's Electra. The price starts to climb when you look at Class 3.

Don't remember where I found this 700 review, but the reviewer doesn't have any problem comparing R1UP to Pedego.

"How does the Ride1Up Series 700 compare to other e-bikes of similar performance and quality? Compared to other e-bikes within its price range, it practically dominates. You’re not going to get a better bike at a lower price. The Series 700 is one of the best possible beginner bikes out there. On the other side, $1449 is no pocket change, and there are some e-bikes under $1000 that are a great entry-level bike to the hobby for people that aren’t looking to shell out a grand and a half for their first e-bike. The Series 700 is often the second bought bike in the household (after your spouse or your kid claims your bike as their daily rider), and that’s perfectly fine.
Now, since this bike is punching up, we can compare it to some bigger names in the industry, such as the CrossCurrent X and the Pedego City Commuter, bikes that cost considerably more than the Series 700 yet offer similar performance. The build quality and the features are about the same, and all three bikes boast that they’re the best commuter bike out there. The competition is stiff, but the Series 700 brought a ridiculously low price into the fray. It’s interesting and exciting that a young, small company with a very small selection of e-bikes can challenge the bigger players, like Rad Bikes, VoltBike or Magnum. Of course, the Ride1Up bikes can’t compete with specialized, premium e-bikes that cost several thousand dollars such as the Turbo Levo or the Bulls Copperhead. It’s a small, affordable and durable commuter’s bike that isn’t perfect.
The best feature this bike has is the amazingly low price; there are bikes that cost a grand more that don’t have all these features. The build quality, the gentle controller, the good motor and the front suspension, the hydraulic brakes, and all the other features are a nice surprise we didn’t expect. To be honest, we thought this bike would cost $2,200, and it would’ve been an okay choice at that price, but at $1,449 it’s a fantastic choice. For the extreme enthusiast crowd, this bike is nothing special compared to their $6,000+ e-bikes, but they’re not Ride1Up’s target crowd. But if you’re a e-bike beginner with a lot of disposable income, this is your best bet; and if you’re someone who’s already had a taste of how great entry-level e-bikes are, this is the next step".

Just wonder how you made the buying decision to go with R1U? I think the above review had a lot to do with my decision. After I punched "BUY" I continued to read reviews till they got boring. It's to the point that the only guy I believe is "lumpydog". EBR is the predominant online reviewer and all the reviews are similar. EBR says all the bikes are wonderful and then picks at a few inconsequential things. I'm beginning to get a drift that no reviewer is willing to say," this bike is a piece of junk" about any bike. If buyers were experiencing problems after the sale, It'd be all over this media. No one is saying that Shimano Acera is having problems. I don't think you can buy a better battery than Samsung. The only thing that hasn't been addressed is "are parts available". So far no one has had any failures. What can go wrong that can't be fixed easily? The HUB motor, the controller and the display. If R1U keeps a dozen of these parts in inventory - No problem. "That's all folks" Just rambling. You probably won't hear much from me after I take delivery

I purchased my first E bike in 2017. An E-glide ST. At the time it was the best bang for the buck. Hydraulic brakes, rack, fenders, lights, 500 watt motor, a throttle, a large 11.4 amp battery which was big at the time, a cheap suspension seat post and front suspension forks with a handlebar lockout (Now they offer air suspension forks), Shimano Deore cassette and shifters. Still my main ride. Have put about 7000 miles on it. No problems.

You can see it here. Hasn't changed much. https://e-glidebike.com/index.php/bikes/e-glide-s-t-electric-bike

I upgraded the battery to a 17.5 amp I purchased on Alibaba for $411.00 shipped. 48 tooth front sprocket, cane creek thudbuster, riser for the bars. It fits me very well.

I ordered a LMT'D because for almost the same price I can get a 14 amp battery, 750 watt motor, Schwable tires, hydraulic brakes, torque sensor, color display and air suspension fork.

I have taken my ST to the local bicycle shop to have new chains put on, the new sprocket, and replaced the worn out rear cassette. They had no problem doing the work.

I have owned a 2019 Giant Explorer E+3 with a 80 nm mid drive but sold it to purchase the LMT'D. No throttle and Giant/Yamaha puts a 20 mph limiter on the motor that only can be overridden with a aftermarket device for more money.

It comes down to I'm a frugal guy and can't see spending $4000.00 on a bicycle. Maybe a motorcycle. The reason I went with Ride1up is the value for the price and the corrections they made after the first batch.

I checked out Juice, Luna, and a number of other forums and what turned me off was the customer complaints. When I get the LMT'D I'll give an honest review.

I think all the guys that ordered one in the first batch should give themselves a pat on the back for taking a chance. I had good luck with my first "mail ordered" bike and I think I will with this one also.

Last edited:
Last edited:
A buddy and I looked at Trek yesterday. My buddy is interested in an eBike but not enthusiastic about buying a bike online. His concerns were magnified by the Trek dealer's sales pitch.
" You can't believe how many guys bring bikes they bought online in for me to repair. And parts are not available. And most of the China bikes are 60+ pounds. We just have to throw them away." And On=N & ON. I kept my mouth shut during the sales pitch! It's to really tough to compare Trek. They must have 20 different models. And then there's Electra. The price starts to climb when you look at Class 3.

Don't remember where I found this 700 review, but the reviewer doesn't have any problem comparing R1UP to Pedego.

"How does the Ride1Up Series 700 compare to other e-bikes of similar performance and quality? Compared to other e-bikes within its price range, it practically dominates. You’re not going to get a better bike at a lower price. The Series 700 is one of the best possible beginner bikes out there. On the other side, $1449 is no pocket change, and there are some e-bikes under $1000 that are a great entry-level bike to the hobby for people that aren’t looking to shell out a grand and a half for their first e-bike. The Series 700 is often the second bought bike in the household (after your spouse or your kid claims your bike as their daily rider), and that’s perfectly fine.
Now, since this bike is punching up, we can compare it to some bigger names in the industry, such as the CrossCurrent X and the Pedego City Commuter, bikes that cost considerably more than the Series 700 yet offer similar performance. The build quality and the features are about the same, and all three bikes boast that they’re the best commuter bike out there. The competition is stiff, but the Series 700 brought a ridiculously low price into the fray. It’s interesting and exciting that a young, small company with a very small selection of e-bikes can challenge the bigger players, like Rad Bikes, VoltBike or Magnum. Of course, the Ride1Up bikes can’t compete with specialized, premium e-bikes that cost several thousand dollars such as the Turbo Levo or the Bulls Copperhead. It’s a small, affordable and durable commuter’s bike that isn’t perfect.
The best feature this bike has is the amazingly low price; there are bikes that cost a grand more that don’t have all these features. The build quality, the gentle controller, the good motor and the front suspension, the hydraulic brakes, and all the other features are a nice surprise we didn’t expect. To be honest, we thought this bike would cost $2,200, and it would’ve been an okay choice at that price, but at $1,449 it’s a fantastic choice. For the extreme enthusiast crowd, this bike is nothing special compared to their $6,000+ e-bikes, but they’re not Ride1Up’s target crowd. But if you’re a e-bike beginner with a lot of disposable income, this is your best bet; and if you’re someone who’s already had a taste of how great entry-level e-bikes are, this is the next step".

Just wonder how you made the buying decision to go with R1U? I think the above review had a lot to do with my decision. After I punched "BUY" I continued to read reviews till they got boring. It's to the point that the only guy I believe is "lumpydog". EBR is the predominant online reviewer and all the reviews are similar. EBR says all the bikes are wonderful and then picks at a few inconsequential things. I'm beginning to get a drift that no reviewer is willing to say," this bike is a piece of junk" about any bike. If buyers were experiencing problems after the sale, It'd be all over this media. No one is saying that Shimano Acera is having problems. I don't think you can buy a better battery than Samsung. The only thing that hasn't been addressed is "are parts available". So far no one has had any failures. What can go wrong that can't be fixed easily? The HUB motor, the controller and the display. If R1U keeps a dozen of these parts in inventory - No problem. "That's all folks" Just rambling. You probably won't hear much from me after I take delivery
"So far no one has had any failures" No one? Not a single person? How is anyone privy to that information?

I think the biggest issue I have seen complaints about is not getting the bike on the estimated shipping date. I have seen that on other on line bike purchases also. The problem might be with overseas shipping, custom ports and Covid 19 but what do I know. I went to a Harbor Freight a few weeks back and I never seen the shelves so empty. I asked one of the employees and he said they were having trouble with the parts orders being shipped. If from China or our local truckers I don't know.

EBR charges for reviews. It openly says so. Now, I can't speak to whether this influences reviews at EBR, but in general, this business model would incline reviews to be inoffensive. If you became known for writing acerbic reviews, manufacturers would fear appearing on your website.

The other problem, which goes for nearly all reviews, is that many problems don't appear until after extensive use. Which is where forums like these come into play.

I think the biggest issue I have seen complaints about is not getting the bike on the estimated shipping date. I have seen that on other on line bike purchases also. The problem might be with overseas shipping, custom ports and Covid 19 but what do I know. I went to a Harbor Freight a few weeks back and I never seen the shelves so empty. I asked one of the employees and he said they were having trouble with the parts orders being shipped. If from China or our local truckers I don't know.
Don't know about current conditions, but back in June my Core-5 was shipped the day after the estimated date and arrived on east coast in a week. Can't ask for more than that.

R1U reply to my query. If the bike is as good as their customer service I've got a winner.

Tom,

Thanks for clarifying! We do have parts and components for replacement should an issue arise. The motor is a 500 watt Shengyi hub motor and we have replacement displays on our website should you need another display down the line.

Back