Non Juiced brand battery purchase

megaheat

Hey guys, just got my CCS the other day. Everything has been great so far, but the battery leave something to be desired, and buying battery upgrade from Juiced is way too expensive. I've been searching for a while and only come across a 48v 17.5ah (samsung batteries) for ~$400 from alibaba that fits the bike (440mm requirement). The only other one that I found is this 52V 17.5ah: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

There's no review on this and I was wondering if anyone purchased one and if it fits / work with the bike?

I believe they make a lot of the original equipment batteries that come on some bikes. Should be good but I've never purchased from them directly.

For $400 it hardly seems like you could go wrong. Be careful about how and where you charge it until you're sure there are no problems with manufacturing quality. Let us know how it works out.

I've looked at those but I'm not willing to take the risk. I'll save the bucks for the Juiced battery.

For another 52v 19ah battery we'll be saving for a long time Bruce. To me the cost of that battery is excessive but it's just an ignorant opinion of the tech involved. Now you can get the 13ah batt for $700 and that's a bit more palatable. I'm going to use the hell out of my current batt 52v this summer w/30 mi or so rides then in 2020 hope the prices come down then. I want/need range and 60/75mi is my ultimate goal for a decent Saturday ride. I don't want to worry about voltages or if I can make it back. At some point I'm going to need an extra batt to carry, not now though at $1300 a pop.

Hey guys, just got my CCS the other day. Everything has been great so far, but the battery leave something to be desired, and buying battery upgrade from Juiced is way too expensive. I've been searching for a while and only come across a 48v 17.5ah (samsung batteries) for ~$400 from alibaba that fits the bike (440mm requirement). The only other one that I found is this 52V 17.5ah: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

There's no review on this and I was wondering if anyone purchased one and if it fits / work with the bike?

Alibaba does not make batteries they just list a bunch of suppliers who do make them. I purchased a battery from one of the companies listed on the Alibaba site in Nov. 2018. It was a Dolphin style battery rated at 48 volts and 14.5 ah. The price was very good compared to the bike manufactures site or any other stateside site. I expected the delivery to take about a month, it took two months because the company sent my battery to a customer in Canada and his battery to me, and it was a real hassle to resend his battery to Canada though the company compensated me for the shipping cost. Since I was not in a great hurry to get my battery the time did not inconvenience me. The company ended up shipping me a replacement battery rather than having the Canadian customer try to ship my battery to me.

If you do go the Alibaba route make sure the company you order from has a high percentage rating, the company I dealt with kept me informed constantly so I had no complaints with their manufacturing, just their careless shipping. Also measure your battery length and make sure the new one is exactly the same. I noticed in the ad from that company you linked that in one area it says 17.5 ah and in another it says 21 ah. I would go with a 21 ah. If you contact a Alibaba company they should be eager to talk to you to get the exact battery you want.
In Sept. I asked them for a quote on a 48 volt 21 ah Dorado battery and they quoted $479.00 with Samsung cells, BMS and a 5 amp charger. There will also be another fee, I think a credit card fee, added to the order. I think it was around $9.00 on the Dolphin battery I ordered. The company I ordered from was Jinhua Hengchuang New Energy Co., Ltd. The person I was dealing with was Max Guo, he was very good. One of these days I will probably order the Dorado 21 ah for my other bike.

Whatever company you order from make sure they are using Grade A cells from Panasonic or Samsung, LG is probably ok also and that the battery has BMS.

Keep in mind these Dorado batteries come in different lengths. Juiced frame uses the shorter one. Largest I found in the proper length was 13ah. That was through many vendors on alibaba

"I think a credit card fee, added to the order. I think it was around $9.00 on the Dolphin battery I ordered"

Do you mean a foreign transaction fee? If you see yourself ordering a lot of things or any high-dollar items overseas you may want to take a look at a credit card with no foreign transaction fees. We have an American Express that has no annual fee that we use exclusively for everything we do in Europe - plane tickets, hotels, rental cars, etc. I think on our last trip to the UK it saved us over $500 in transaction fees. The only caveat is the one we have has to be paid off each month - which I see as a perk rather than a detriment.

Alibaba does not make batteries they just list a bunch of suppliers who do make them. I purchased a battery from one of the companies listed on the Alibaba site in Nov. 2018. It was a Dolphin style battery rated at 48 volts and 14.5 ah. The price was very good compared to the bike manufactures site or any other stateside site. I expected the delivery to take about a month, it took two months because the company sent my battery to a customer in Canada and his battery to me, and it was a real hassle to resend his battery to Canada though the company compensated me for the shipping cost. Since I was not in a great hurry to get my battery the time did not inconvenience me. The company ended up shipping me a replacement battery rather than having the Canadian customer try to ship my battery to me.

If you do go the Alibaba route make sure the company you order from has a high percentage rating, the company I dealt with kept me informed constantly so I had no complaints with their manufacturing, just their careless shipping. Also measure your battery length and make sure the new one is exactly the same. I noticed in the ad from that company you linked that in one area it says 17.5 ah and in another it says 21 ah. I would go with a 21 ah. If you contact a Alibaba company they should be eager to talk to you to get the exact battery you want.
In Sept. I asked them for a quote on a 48 volt 21 ah Dorado battery and they quoted $479.00 with Samsung cells, BMS and a 5 amp charger. There will also be another fee, I think a credit card fee, added to the order. I think it was around $9.00 on the Dolphin battery I ordered. The company I ordered from was Jinhua Hengchuang New Energy Co., Ltd. The person I was dealing with was Max Guo, he was very good. One of these days I will probably order the Dorado 21 ah for my other bike.

Whatever company you order from make sure they are using Grade A cells from Panasonic or Samsung, LG is probably ok also and that the battery has BMS.

Thanks Delta for the tip.

I'm talking with a rep from Shenzhen Jente Energy Technology Co., Ltd. store. She's very responsive and told me that they do have a 48V 21AH by Samsung cell with 440*80*110mm size. I should be getting a quote for that sometime today. I'll probably pull a trigger on this one and will let you guys know how it turns out.

You are welcome, good luck and let us know what it cost when you get the final quote, bearing in mind that there may be an additional fee when you submit your credit card information to Alibaba.

I'm talking with a rep from Shenzhen Jente Energy Technology Co., Ltd. store. She's very responsive and told me that they do have a 48V 21AH by Samsung cell with 440*80*110mm size. I should be getting a quote for that sometime today. I'll probably pull a trigger on this one and will let you guys know how it turns out.

That battery is too long to fit the CC frame.

**Disregard. I noticed it is the 440L, but I'd confirm.

EMP is NOT a battery OEM. They buy China batteries just like everyone else. The advantage they have is being Chinese. It WAS going to be the headquarters for Bafang in the USA. (BafangUSA is not affiliated with the OEM)

Search around for a reference. This is a risky adventure.

On the topic of battery upgrades for existing ebikes like Juiced, Rad, Pedego or other popular names, just curious how many people would be interested in buying locally here in US, for high quality cells built here in US, and installed in the same size battery pack ?

For example, if you have a 10 ah pack, 48Volt a replacement could be provided that offered 14 ah capacity, or if you have a 13 ah pack, a replacement could be provided that offers 17ah.

The cells are designed with higher density, and would be factory direct, rather than the packs offered by the Ebike OEMs, which have several layers of Mark up, when they are sourced from Panasonic,Samsung, LG, who don't build the packs or have anything to do with BMS, pack design, connectors, welding, wiring, sockets or casing.

It seems a need exists, and with prices so high from the ebike OEMs, and lack of offerings (beyond the usual alibaba resellers), there is an opening for some entity to fill that gap.

On the topic of battery upgrades for existing ebikes like Juiced, Rad, Pedego or other popular names, just curious how many people would be interested in buying locally here in US, for high quality cells built here in US, and installed in the same size battery pack ?

For example, if you have a 10 ah pack, 48Volt a replacement could be provided that offered 14 ah capacity, or if you have a 13 ah pack, a replacement could be provided that offers 17ah.

The cells are designed with higher density, and would be factory direct, rather than the packs offered by the Ebike OEMs, which have several layers of Mark up, when they are sourced from Panasonic,Samsung, LG, who don't build the packs or have anything to do with BMS, pack design, connectors, welding, wiring, sockets or casing.

It seems a need exists, and with prices so high from the ebike OEMs, and lack of offerings (beyond the usual alibaba resellers), there is an opening for some entity to fill that gap.

I wouldn't mind for somone to "repack" my current battery pack. It saves on waste. And if its cheaper with good quality cells and care is taken not to damage any of the controller bits.... sounds cool

The Juiced CCX 52V 19.2ah battery is $1299 to purchase from their website. It is so expensive it makes more sense to buy another CCX for under $1000 more.

Mike - I don't know much about the batteries. I know that with Tesla the cost was in the R&D and sophisticated BMS. These packs also have a BMS and R&D associated with them but how about the internals? Can you just replace the cells? Don't all of the sophisticated electronics that you already paid for remain in the pack?

If so then it would only entail disassembly, insertion of the new batteries, reassembly. Seems like the cells would be a very small cost - what, under $200? The labor would be another $200 so theoretically it seems to me that you could get the whole thing repacked for $400. Not bad if you get 5 years out of the original.

I'm sure my numbers are off. I imagine Juiced isn't in the battery business and every battery they make they attach to a bike. If they sold the batteries for $600 then they'd be flying off the shelves and they wouldn't be able to sell the truly high-margin products - the bikes themselves. Priced at $1299 each I don't know anybody that will be purchasing a spare or replacement.

I'm sure I'm missing a large detail somewhere but am interested to learn.

Thanks.

The Juiced CCX 52V 19.2ah battery is $1299 to purchase from their website. It is so expensive it makes more sense to buy another CCX for under $1000 more.

Mike - I don't know much about the batteries. I know that with Tesla the cost was in the R&D and sophisticated BMS. These packs also have a BMS and R&D associated with them but how about the internals? Can you just replace the cells? Don't all of the sophisticated electronics that you already paid for remain in the pack?

If so then it would only entail disassembly, insertion of the new batteries, reassembly. Seems like the cells would be a very small cost - what, under $200? The labor would be another $200 so theoretically it seems to me that you could get the whole thing repacked for $400. Not bad if you get 5 years out of the original.

I'm sure my numbers are off. I imagine Juiced isn't in the battery business and every battery they make they attach to a bike. If they sold the batteries for $600 then they'd be flying off the shelves and they wouldn't be able to sell the truly high-margin products - the bikes themselves. Priced at $1299 each I don't know anybody that will be purchasing a spare or replacement.

I'm sure I'm missing a large detail somewhere but am interested to learn.

Thanks.

No no big detail other than profit, fair wage, licensing(hazmat shipping), insurance, business taxes... the devil is in the details.

Make sure to post price and where to go on the web to purchase...see if she will discount for a group buy and send to different addresses.?

Back