New BBSHD wont power up display

Dougn2deep

Region
USA
My first build not starting off so hot. Grabbed this BBSHD 1000 Watt 48v off Deruiz Ride Store on Alibaba. It was noted that this unit works with 52v batteries. The box was gone through and maybe a return as the cranks were scratched 🙈

I bought a Mini Max 52v 10ah battery and my voltmeter reads 59v at full charge at both ends of the internal plug connections.

I bought another DPC18 display thinking it may have been bad. Same result, no power.

There's a small lead (picture)with a black and red wire coming off the motor I'm not sure what this is for and if it impacts the display not firing up.

If someone can help with some things I may have overlooked that'd be great. Hate to send this back and have to eat the shipping.

I tried inspecting all the connections 2x and tried different battery levels.

I do have a Juiced fat tire with a 52v battery but don't have a 2 prong connector to test the power as it's a frame mounted battery. I have ordered one that should be here tomorrow.

20230617_091351.jpg
n

By the looks of it the small lead is for the headlight display.

I opened up the controller are there any wires I can check with the voltmeter to diagnose anything?

Attachments

• 20230617_095850.jpg
    20230617_095850.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 78
You have a 48v controller that won't accept the full charge of 58.8v of a 52v battery. If you can reduce the charge down to below 54.4v somehow and try it it will probably work...

You have a 48v controller that won't accept the full charge of 58.8v of a 52v battery. If you can reduce the charge down to below 54.4v somehow and try it it will probably work...
From what I've read I don't believe it to be the case.... but with Bafang providing no official specification details and various possible firmware versions... I'd give it a shot.

Couldn’t full voltage level be changed by the usb programming cable to the controllers display port?

The seller assured me it'd work.

What if I bought a 52v controller? I was planning on getting a modified controller from a seller on ebay.
The seller recommended I try to flash the firmware with a daniel Nielson firmware on github. I don't even have the update cable.

Oh wow. I was just reading about that here.
This was the cable that I was referring to.

Surely this would be cheaper than less headache (I imagine) than getting a new controller and installing it. You still may have to program it with these tools.

Oh wow. I was just reading about that here.
This was the cable that I was referring to.

Surely this would be cheaper than less headache (I imagine) than getting a new controller and installing it. You still may have to program it with these tools.
Thanks.. I've been meaning to get the cable but didn't think I'd need it this soon ha.

This has been a battle lol. I had to grind down my freshly powdercoated frame to even get the motor to fit. Then order a Lekkie press fit hub adapter.

My original UART M620 48v labeled motor on my bike worked fine with a 52v battery charged to full. But I drowned it and the replacement motor I got from the supplier of the bike that was taken out of the same type bike wouldn't work with the 52v......I ended up returning it and getting a 52v version from GreenBikit.

There is no provision in the programming using the cable to change the voltage from 48v to 52v it will just read whatever the controller is set to and display that in the lower right box. However via a Bafang display you can choose between 52v and 48v in the settings. I used both sizes with my original motor and sometimes forgot to do that when switching between and didn't notice any difference in performance of the motor.

That said there is a noticeable difference in performance between the two voltages whereas the 52v has much better power for the first part of the ride and then levels out once it gets to 54.4v where the 48v starts. They both seem to go into LVC at about the same place too.

My original UART M620 48v labeled motor on my bike worked fine with a 52v battery charged to full. But I drowned it and the replacement motor I got from the supplier of the bike that was taken out of the same type bike wouldn't work with the 52v......I ended up returning it and getting a 52v version from GreenBikit.

There is no provision in the programming using the cable to change the voltage from 48v to 52v it will just read whatever the controller is set to and display that in the lower right box. However via a Bafang display you can choose between 52v and 48v in the settings. I used both sizes with my original motor and sometimes forgot to do that when switching between and didn't notice any difference in performance of the motor.

That said there is a noticeable difference in performance between the two voltages whereas the 52v has much better power for the first part of the ride and then levels out once it gets to 54.4v where the 48v starts. They both seem to go into LVC at about the same place too.
Seems Bafang likes to put out multiple sub_versions and it's a bit of a shit_show to troubleshoot.
Then add who knows what these resellers are doing behind the scene

Back