Noise coming from crank

Isimo

I only have about 55 miles on bike and am getting a clicking flexing noise coming from the crank? At first I thought it was the pedals so I bought a set of crank bros flats and some 5 ten shoes both are awesome. This didn't fix issue so I retorqued crank arms to 28ftlb per ride1up recommendation but still getting a slight flex and clicking noise, very annoying. Anybody have idea on what might be wrong and what brand of crankset and bottom bracket?

Lots of videos on youtube about bike noise. Did you put any grease on the pedal threads? Take the cranks off and add a little grease on the taper and bolt before reinstalling. Check seat bolts, what seems like crank noise can actually be your butt wiggling the seat in a rhythm the sounds like pedals. Just keep torquing, greasing, and checking.

I only have about 55 miles on bike and am getting a clicking flexing noise coming from the crank? At first I thought it was the pedals so I bought a set of crank bros flats and some 5 ten shoes both are awesome. This didn't fix issue so I retorqued crank arms to 28ftlb per ride1up recommendation but still getting a slight flex and clicking noise, very annoying. Anybody have idea on what might be wrong and what brand of crankset and bottom bracket?
Bearings often click or tick when dirty, dry or bad. It is possible to get a new bearing that has a flaw. I would have thought it was a bearing in the pedal, but you eliminated that. And the crank bolts are tight. Make sure no cables are hitting the cranks, chain or chainrings while pedaling. Then I would check the bearings in the bottom bracket.

I pulled my crank arms and greased the tapered bb ends and while I had the crank arms off tightened the chain ring bolts.............those steps really quieted things down for me.

I had a clicking/hitting feeling and noise on every crank rotation when my bike was new. I was pretty worried that it would need repairs. I tried to take the suspected side fully apart, but I couldn't figure out how to disassemble the pedal, so I ended up just unscrewing it from the crank, cleaning, spraying the crank and inside the pedals as much as possible and it went away, now months later still fine.

Thanks guys for your reply's, will try a little grease on the BB square taper and some lube on pedal threads? Anybody know what brand crankset is?

I have two 700 ST's, and had the same clicking sound. I also had this issue on both bikes. I replaced the pedals with a set of Crank Bros 50/50 pedals as I was going to anyway and that didn't do it either. Trouble shot it with the local ebike shop and Kevin on the phone. Tech took off the crank pedal on left side, and took the cadence sensor off and reinstalled it carefully making sure everything lined up properly and........no more clicking noise right away! Did it to the other bike and the exact same result. That clicking noise was driving me crazy on rides, glad to be rid of it. We thought it might have been the bottom bracket also, you need to be sure the cadence sensor goes back in correctly as that was the problem.

I have two 700 ST's, and had the same clicking sound. I also had this issue on both bikes. I replaced the pedals with a set of Crank Bros 50/50 pedals as I was going to anyway and that didn't do it either. Trouble shot it with the local ebike shop and Kevin on the phone. Tech took off the crank pedal on left side, and took the cadence sensor off and reinstalled it carefully making sure everything lined up properly and........no more clicking noise right away! Did it to the other bike and the exact same result. That clicking noise was driving me crazy on rides, glad to be rid of it. We thought it might have been the bottom bracket also, you need to be sure the cadence sensor goes back in correctly as that was the problem.
Yes, surprisingly we found the cadence sensor not being perfectly straight was at fault in for the clicking noise in most instances. I initially thought if someone was having this issue it would be a dry/poorly greased BB, but it seems that most cases it is that the cadence sensor is not spinning perfectly (having some lateral play). Straightening it against the BB should alleviate the clicking noise. Greasing components never hurts though, in case the issue is not the cadence sensor for your particular bike.

Update on issue. Was finally able to get back out on the bike after cleaning and applying park tool anti seize grease to crank arm bb tappers and threads on pedals and this quieted everything down. Thanks again, for all the reply's to this question.

Glad to see you got the issue resolved Isimo. Its no fun riding your new bike if its making sounds that make you wonder what the hell the issue is:) Guess we are all early adopters for Kevin & Co., so there are a few teething issues that are bound to turn up.

Back