No power! Pedal assist not working.

Mkj

Not sure if this is the right section to post in so my apologies if it isn't.
I have a giant roam xr e + the battery is fully charged & showing 100% on the digital dashboard however there is no power there when I am pedalling & it is riding like a normal bike.

I have been using the bike to get back & to to work cycling 12 miles a day.

I did notice the chain slipped on the bottom cog a couple of times whilst peddling maybe this has had an effect? Also a little piece of plastic that looks like a dust cap was hanging off.

Any help would be appreciated before I take it to my local giant dealer on Friday.

Thanks Mark

Mark, it sounds like the bike's PAS is turned off (set to 0?) or the bike doesn't know the pedals are turning.

There is a PAS sensor located down by the crank. It's job is to tell everybody when the pedals are turning and it does that with a series of magnets attached to a ring that turns as you pedal. There's a sensor that's looking for those magnets to pass close by, and when they do, it signals the controller to send power to the motor.

My bet is the wire from that sensor is damaged, has become unplugged, or has a corroded connection. -Al

Hi Al Thanks for your reply I took my bike to my local giant dealer & they seem to think along the same lines as you it's a sensor problem & maybe some water has got in there They are now looking at it for me

Finally got my bike back after 6 weeks! Various people in the shop giving me numerous excuses! Had a new torque sensor fitted & now the bike is working as it should be so happy to have it back,they have done a really good job repairing it but annoyed it took them so long to repair it.

Many thanks to the members on here who have helped me with their vast knowledge & experience.

Help needed again folks! Whilst just biking home in heavy rain the power assist cut out & the battery power meter starting flashing,after just having the bike fixed I'm pretty gutted it's not working again.

I'm thinking maybe some water has got in to the torque sensor???
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

I'd guess water in a connector, maybe the display. I never ride in the rain, so no direct experience.

Mkj,
So sorry your having these problems. I’ve only been caught in rain once on the Vado. Not a heavy downpour but I got seriously soaked. Removed the battery immediately and fortunately no water inside the battery housing.

Hopefully your bike is inside. This may sound strange but how about using a hair dryer to gently dry the affected areas, especially the hidden spots. Hope this helps.

Mkj,
So sorry your having these problems. I’ve only been caught in rain once on the Vado. Not a heavy downpour but I got seriously soaked. Removed the battery immediately and fortunately no water inside the battery housing.

Hopefully your bike is inside. This may sound strange but how about using a hair dryer to gently dry the affected areas, especially the hidden spots. Hope this helps.

I removed the battery as soon as I got home at 2330 & the bike is in the garage now hopefully it will dry out overnight while I sleep.

Leaves me wondering if the torque sensor was the real culprit to start with....

If you aren't able to identify the issue easily, I would take it back to the shop it just came from, possibly keeping the point about it failing while riding in a hard rain to yourself. Just tell them it quit again to prevent wild goose chases. The problem may or may not have anything to do with moisture! After having just been through it, they should still be familiar with it, and hopefully able to identify the (real) problem quickly.

Leaves me wondering if the torque sensor was the real culprit to start with....

If you aren't able to identify the issue easily, I would take it back to the shop it just came from, possibly keeping the point about it failing while riding in a hard rain to yourself. Just tell them it quit again to prevent wild goose chases. The problem may or may not have anything to do with moisture! After having just been through it, they should still be familiar with it, and hopefully able to identify the (real) problem quickly.

You could be right there & if it doesn't work I will give the shop a phone call & tell them it's not working again,it's only been a couple of weeks since they fixed it & to be fair it's worked pretty well,hopefully it should be OK by the afternoon.Rich C also mentioned earlier it could be the display which did get wet.
Maybe I should cover the display when it rains?

Just been back to my bike turned on the display,the second bar on the battery meter is flashing on & off.
Does anybody have any idea what that means?
Thanks

After leaving my bike to dry out in the garage & storing the battery indoors my bike seems to be working again.Going to take it out later just to be sure though.
Can anybody recommend anything to protect the torque sensor & keep it dry?
Thanks

Dielectric grease in the connectors.
Shrink wrap connectors.

Skip the puddles. 🤣

Six weeks in the shop?!? Oh my. You're way more patient than I. 👍

Is this the connector?
Sorry about the quality of the picture

Attachments

• 20191211_160842.jpg
    20191211_160842.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 1,827
That certainly looks to be one of them. There is generally one for each sensor or control input, as well as the main battery connector to the controller.

Back