Newbie questions

ebikelike

Region
USA
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for the help:

-- Can you ride your bike in the rain [i have a trail tracker]?
-- what to do if you get a flat and dont know how to change the tire? do you reco slime or tannus armor or something like that or just call aaa?

thanks

Can you ride in the rain? Absolutely.

What happens if you get a flat tire? You can learn how to change it. The front isn't too bad, but the back tire, because of the hub motor, can be a real pain.

I had a Pedego Trail Rider, which is very similar to your bike and I did get a couple of flats (both in the rear) over the span of 2500km. I have to admit that both times I had my wife come and pick me up. AAA is also a good option, but if AAA in the US is anything like Canada, the wait for an AAA truck could be a long one.

One very useful tool for changing your own tires is a pair of handlebar jacks. https://www.handlebarjack.com/
With the bike upside down it is MUCH easier to take off and reinstall the rear wheel.

Slime would be a good option, as would tannus armor. Some people like the way the bike rides with tannus armor installed, while others don't.
Personally, I really like a tubeless setup, but I don't think you can go tubeless with the Trail Tracker. I have over 10,000km on my two other bikes (that I run tubeless) and haven't had a flat tire.

Another option is to replace the tires with something more puncture resistance. I got my two flats within the first 1000km then switched to a better tire and didn't have any problems in the next 1500km. Personally, I thought the stock tires on my Ridge Rider were crap.

Thanks so much for the useful information. Can I ask a favor, can you lead a horse to water? What tubeless setup could I look at? Also, what happens with the ride with Tannus? Is it stiffer?

Yes, the Tannus Armour gives a slightly stiffer ride but you can compensate by using a lower tire pressure.

An AAA membership can be handy but it would be a good idea to learn to change a flat in a pinch. Practice at home in your garage to get familiar with the process. It can be tricky but after you do it a time or two, you'll get the hang of it.

I have all but eliminated flats on my Pedego Platinum Inerceptor by using Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and Tannus Armour with heavy duty Schwalbe Downhill tubes filled with Slime. I compensate for the stiffer ride by dropping the tire pressure from 65 down to 45 psi. Over 3000 miles so far with no problems.

BTW, welcome to the Forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions!

thank you both!! i need to familiarize myself with these great solutions and try it like you say. just scared i will get it apart but not back together lol :)

glad to be here!!

Back