Newbie here , Hi everyone

waltermoe

Hi guys, my name is Walter and I live in the UK.

I looked for this forum to get advice on what to buy, I need a 250 Watt E-Bike because I want to skip all that registration and insurance troubles.

Basically i need the bike daily for a 7-mile ride to and back from work. I could do that, as right now, also on my MTB, but lately I get a bit lazier.

I also will get some incentives in 2021 from the company, so it's the right time.

Price wise I look in the category of about 2000 -2500 quid, no fancy but solid and long distance range.

Preferred look is bit like my MTB, not small wheeled 70ties kiddo bikes.

So shoot me with your suggestions, everything is appreciated. :)

If you could stretch your budget a little, look at the Giant Fathom E+. The motor actual power/torque and the quality of components as well as the battery capacity all greatly depend on the price. The smaller the digit in the Giant model name, the better e-bike. "Pro" indicates the most powerful motor. Note: All Euro e-bikes are 250 W nominal. Yet the peak power can go well beyond that, and the torque matters, too.

To make you less hesitant: I'm an European. Better be careful when an American offers their advice, as the U.S. is a completely different region... ;)

If you could stretch your budget a little, look at the Giant Fathom E+. The motor actual power/torque and the quality of components as well as the battery capacity all greatly depend on the price. The smaller the digit in the Giant model name, the better e-bike. "Pro" indicates the most powerful motor. Note: All Euro e-bikes are 250 W nominal. Yet the peak power can go well beyond that, and the torque matters, too.

To make you less hesitant: I'm an European. Better be careful when an American offers their advice, as the U.S. is a completely different region... ;)
Yes, Americans are very helpful people, but not familiar with our Eurocrazy. Cant blame them, who is familiar? But general stuff and tips they have in great topics, I am a vivid reader.

Yes, Americans are very helpful people, but not familiar with our Eurocrazy. Cant blame them, who is familiar? But general stuff and tips they have in great topics, I am a vivid reader.
Could l not edit that post, Thank you also for the link to the E plus, which looks good, except a bit too much MTB for my purpose. 2 things i need, regular tires, but i guess this isn't a problem, and mudguards, which I found on site for 30-40 Quid. I use it for commuting on roads only.

2 things i need, regular tires, but i guess this isn't a problem, and mudguards,
With the 25 mm rims used in Fathom E+, it is indeed no problem to replace the 2.35" knobby tyres with, for example, 2" slick ones. You've found mudguards yourself. It is even possible to add a rack to that e-bike. Good thing with that hardtail is you wouldn't suffer from street bumps thanks to a good suspension fork. Yahama motors used in Giant e-bikes are reliable. And Giant charges the lowest prices in the e-MTB segment, if we are talking a class e-bike.

Note: It is hard to get the models we get in Europe in North America. Because we are Europe - "the home of e-bikes" :)

Hi Walter,

I’m also in the U.K. in Aberdeen, and I recently took possession of a fantastic Bike, a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour, with a Bosch Active Line Plus Motor at 250w, a 7 gear Bosch Nexus Gear Hub and a 500wh Power Pack.
it was £2,350. I got it at the end of June, direct from Raleigh, but I think stocks are rather low just now, as is the case with most e-bikes caused by the increased demand.
It is so much fun getting out on the bike, I just turned 60 and wanted to get some more exercise, so manage to have a couple of rides every day. I highly recommend it if you can lay your hands on one.
Regards
Graeme

Hi Walter,

I’m also in the U.K. in Aberdeen, and I recently took possession of a fantastic Bike, a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour, with a Bosch Active Line Plus Motor at 250w, a 7 gear Bosch Nexus Gear Hub and a 500wh Power Pack.
it was £2,350. I got it at the end of June, direct from Raleigh, but I think stocks are rather low just now, as is the case with most e-bikes caused by the increased demand.
It is so much fun getting out on the bike, I just turned 60 and wanted to get some more exercise, so manage to have a couple of rides every day. I highly recommend it if you can lay your hands on one.
Regards
Graeme
Thanks Graeme, that might be wroth to contact them, I found the address already and emailed them. Looks like a good thing, also with the Nexus 7 speed (which is Shimano actually) because I also like driving a bit over the regulated speed sometimes and then a gearshifter comes in handy.
Is it possible to take the battery out and charge at home or (I wanna save money) in the workplace? I am a bit exited and probably they don't answer right away.

BTW- I am 60 too :)

yes, sorry, the hub is Shimano. And yes, you can remove the Powerpack 500 and charge it indoors.
Good luck sourcing the bike, I found Raleigh very helpful when contacting them.
939B6B68-20B0-4E94-9A1D-A96C4A0C99A7.jpeg

That’s good Walter, hopefully you won’t have too long to wait. Do you have a Raleigh dealership near to you so that you can have a test ride when the bikes are available?

That’s good Walter, hopefully you won’t have too long to wait. Do you have a Raleigh dealership near to you so that you can have a test ride when the bikes are available?
Yes, there aer 5 nearby between 12 and 40 miles, so that it's ok. I also often go to Manchester to visit my folks, so no problems there

Back