Newbie from the UK

Aha! I just found my CO2 inflator this morning to pump up a much narrower tire. I thought I could pump my larger volume tire mostly full with my mini-pump then give it a quick shot of CO2. Or...get a larger CO2 canister that would work with the larger volume tire. Are larger canisters available?

Thanks for the model of the Altura bag! I found it online in the US for about the same price. Haven't ordered it yet, though.
Yes, we had a spectacular fall this year with the color lasting much longer than usual for some reason. The mountains have been lovely!
Question: Have you had a flat yet? My first and only flat so far was about a mile from home when I ran over a piece of glass which caused an instant flat tire. Ah...no problem...I will just change it. HA! I got the rear wheel off all right, then could NOT get the tire off the rim as the bead was seated so tightly. After some struggle with tire irons, thumbs, shoes, and various tools in my bag I called my husband to come help. He came and was able to manhandle the tire off the rim, which wasn't easy even for him. Then we got the new tube in and pumped it up with my mini-pump, as he had forgotten to put our floor pump in the car. It was weird, the tire had plenty of air pressure, but the bead would not seat on the rim leaving this strange bulge (actually a dent) in the tire. We put it back on the bike thinking that as I rode the bead would seat itself. WRONG! After about 100 yards, I just turned around, and lump-lumped my way home. Using the floor pump at home, I could over-pressure the tire to about 110 psi and it finally 'popped' a couple of times and the bead seated on the rim. Then I reduced the pressure to the proper amount. Apparently, these 'tubeless ready' tires and rims make it really difficult to dismount and remount a tire! Have you had a similar eperience?
My new method, honed in my living room, is to remove the tire by laying the wheel on its side, then standing! on my minitool which I have carefully placed on the tire next to the rim. This provides enough presure to pop the bead. Then all goes well until trying to seat the bead after 'fixing' the tube. I used a little dish detergent along the rim to make it slippery, then using my new somewhat-more-powerful mini-pump, pump the tire up to 80 or 90 psi which has worked to seat the bead. I am now 80% confident that I could do this procedure while out in the 'wilds', but am not happy about having to do that. I am now carrying a micro-bottle of detergent as part of my tool kit. I guess many people who are not used to fixing minor problems on the road just call someone to come pick them up. Or they may just be stronger.
I'm spending the day paying attention to my health by ignoring political news...
Stay safe,
Brenda
Hi Brenda
I haven’t had a flat yet but heard a similar tale of difficulty in removing and putting the tyre back on.
This is stupid. If this happens on on the road it is imperative to repair as quickly as possible so I dread the thought. I am not familiar with the tubeless options as always have ridden with inner tubes.
We have just done a canal walk today through lovely fallen leaves for about 5miles though very very muddy but not in your league of colours.
look forward to the TV news to catch up on the latest jamboree on your side of the ocean. Unbelievable and so so wrong. What a cretin. We have one on this side also called Boris. Perhaps not quite so dangerous
Shut up Anthony

take care Brenda. ( I have a very poorly dear sister called Brenda who I cannot see as she is locked in a care
home with days to live )
Anthony

Hello Anthony,
I'm so sorry about your sister and that you cannot visit her to say goodbye in her last days. The same is going on here and it is so hard on families. Sigh...
Another member of this forum (percymon) and I had the same idea today about the flat tire problem. I had an old CO2 canister that I found this morning. I used it to inflate a completely deflated and much narrower tire on my trainer bike -- it was quick! Now I have the idea that I can pump up my Cannondale tire with my mini-pump and, if I can't get it to a high enought pressure to seat the bead, I can give it a quick shot of CO2. I suspect there are larger CO2 canisters for the larger volume tires, but I think I will throw my small CO2 can and holder into my bag just in case. We also are used to using tubes in our tires and generally have had no problems when we have a flat. I guess the tubeless craze is good for the mountain biking community; and for those who live in areas with thorns it is a godsend. The slime fixes small holes, and all that may be needed is to top off the pressure with a small pump.
We have a dusting of snow now, so did not want to ride today; and it might be the end of our season. We like to walk and snowshoe, so that may be our winter activity; though cycling is a lot easier on our creaky joints. We also like to ski, but the coronavirus protocols at the local areas will keep us away this year.
I love your term 'cretin'. It is hard to believe that so many people are enamored of such a lying idiot!
I try to find the bright spots -- today it's being grateful that we can still walk, bike, and enjoy being in the countryside.
If the cretin wins we might be doomed to go back to the 50s; if so, why don't I feel younger?
Stay safe,
Brenda

Brenda, the largest size I’ve seen are 16g, most of the retail shop ones seem to be 12g. loads on eBay, these just an example..

Brenda, the largest size I’ve seen are 16g, most of the retail shop ones seem to be 12g. loads on eBay, these just an example..

Thanks, I'll check them out. The speed of inflation is important to seat a 'tubeless' ready tire, so a shot of CO2 may do the trick.

Hello Anthony,
I'm so sorry about your sister and that you cannot visit her to say goodbye in her last days. The same is going on here and it is so hard on families. Sigh...
Another member of this forum (percymon) and I had the same idea today about the flat tire problem. I had an old CO2 canister that I found this morning. I used it to inflate a completely deflated and much narrower tire on my trainer bike -- it was quick! Now I have the idea that I can pump up my Cannondale tire with my mini-pump and, if I can't get it to a high enought pressure to seat the bead, I can give it a quick shot of CO2. I suspect there are larger CO2 canisters for the larger volume tires, but I think I will throw my small CO2 can and holder into my bag just in case. We also are used to using tubes in our tires and generally have had no problems when we have a flat. I guess the tubeless craze is good for the mountain biking community; and for those who live in areas with thorns it is a godsend. The slime fixes small holes, and all that may be needed is to top off the pressure with a small pump.
We have a dusting of snow now, so did not want to ride today; and it might be the end of our season. We like to walk and snowshoe, so that may be our winter activity; though cycling is a lot easier on our creaky joints. We also like to ski, but the coronavirus protocols at the local areas will keep us away this year.
I love your term 'cretin'. It is hard to believe that so many people are enamored of such a lying idiot!
I try to find the bright spots -- today it's being grateful that we can still walk, bike, and enjoy being in the countryside.
If the cretin wins we might be doomed to go back to the 50s; if so, why don't I feel younger?
Stay safe,
Brenda
No No NO riding season isn't over it's just the tip of the winter riding season! I live on the Conway end we got a light dusting the other day my bike was fine with it

I like the way you think! Black ice does scare me, though! On Sunday I used 1 pair of toe warmers, and 3 pairs of hand warmers, and was OK. I duct-taped 2 hand warmers together for each hand and put them on the backs of my hands in my lobster mitts and the remaining pair I duct-taped to the inside of my wrists. I might have a circulation problem... ;)

I ride a slightly different animal a Giant Stance E2 rolling on Ice Spiker tires so the Ice doesn't scare her so much well tomorrow ride start around 3:30 am so I'm out of here stay warm!

I like the way you think! Black ice does scare me, though! On Sunday I used 1 pair of toe warmers, and 3 pairs of hand warmers, and was OK. I duct-taped 2 hand warmers together for each hand and put them on the backs of my hands in my lobster mitts and the remaining pair I duct-taped to the inside of my wrists. I might have a circulation problem... ;)
Brenda,
I would like to get out throughout the winter months in snow or whatever. I have over the yrs spent many happy nights in a tent alone or with walking and climbing pals in the mountains of Scotland and the Alps. However since a very nasty cancer 10 yrs ago followed by a lot of chemo and then a massive amount of radiotherapy I now feel the cold tremendously. So that is very unpleasant in itself and the other important consideration is that the cancer damaged my vertebra considerably and with the radiotherapy softening it's structure I dread the prospect of slipping on ice. So sadly my days of riding where it might be icy are gone.
On the other subject of the tyres and pumping up etc. I have on the shelf in the garage a CO2 canisters but have never used such. However the advice given makes me think I might pop them in my tool bag whilst out.
Anthony
PS Forgive my rudeness in calling your esteemed leader a cretin. There must be other words?

Anthony,
It sounds like you have been through the wringer. Kudos to you for your ability to 'adapt, overcome, and improvise'. I found that I am also somewhat fragile as I broke a hip last March. It healed well, but now I have interesting hardware. I am a little spooked to even walk where it's icy but I have MICROSpikes and treking poles which help a lot. Snowshoeing in fresh snow is fun and I don't care if I happen to fall in the fluff.
I just put a CO2 cartridge and inflator in my bike bag. ;)
Yes, there are words other than cretin which are appropriate; many other words, in fact. I have always thought of myself as a person who is nice to everyone, but I have drifted into bad thought territory a little too frequently lately. It has been hard to ignore the everyday assaults.
Stay safe over there,
Brenda

Anthony,
It sounds like you have been through the wringer. Kudos to you for your ability to 'adapt, overcome, and improvise'. I found that I am also somewhat fragile as I broke a hip last March. It healed well, but now I have interesting hardware. I am a little spooked to even walk where it's icy but I have MICROSpikes and treking poles which help a lot. Snowshoeing in fresh snow is fun and I don't care if I happen to fall in the fluff.
I just put a CO2 cartridge and inflator in my bike bag. ;)
Yes, there are words other than cretin which are appropriate; many other words, in fact. I have always thought of myself as a person who is nice to everyone, but I have drifted into bad thought territory a little too frequently lately. It has been hard to ignore the everyday assaults.
Stay safe over there,
Brenda
Take at least two CO2 cartridges - and test using one at home to see how they work

I will try to post a photo of my Cannondale Synapse Neo 1 and a closeup of the pump that I have. This pump has worked to get high enough pressure to seat the bead on my 'tubeless ready' wheels and tires. It was a workout, but I succeeded! I hope it works in the future when I get another flat somewhere in the 'wilds' where there is no one to help and no cell phone coverage. I have a small bike frame and the pump 'just fits' on the seat tube attached to the water bottle bosses. I hope everyone is enjoying the good weather at the last of the season.
Brenda
Cannondale.jpg
MIni-morph pump.jpg

I use tubed tires, kenda knobbies to cut down on the flats. Takes me about 30 minutes to change a tire or tube, mostly at home in the spring because I don't often get flats on roads . I change out when knobs are <3/32". Never bought a set of "tire irons"; I use 5/16" wide 4" shaft screwdrivers to pry tires off. I pump the tire up once, then deflate it to smooth out tube wrinkles, then inflate again. My road pump looks like yours, works okay. Lyzene. I can turn my bike upside down to change the tire. When I had a display, I put it on a rotating stand so I could rotate it downwards when I turned the bike upside down. Made out of metal from a box fan shell.
Sorry about everybody's broken hips & vertebra problems. My ancestors hunted deer & gathered berries on wet rocks of WVa mountains until ~1890; I'm designed to fall down & not break anything. Still I won't ride when black ice is on the road. Did break chin at 25 mph impact onto the road in 2018; wear a helmet with chin guard now.

I use tubed tires, kenda knobbies to cut down on the flats. Takes me about 30 minutes to change a tire or tube, mostly at home in the spring because I don't often get flats on roads . I change out when knobs are <3/32". Never bought a set of "tire irons"; I use 5/16" wide 4" shaft screwdrivers to pry tires off. I pump the tire up once, then deflate it to smooth out tube wrinkles, then inflate again. My road pump looks like yours, works okay. Lyzene. I can turn my bike upside down to change the tire. When I had a display, I put it on a rotating stand so I could rotate it downwards when I turned the bike upside down. Made out of metal from a box fan shell.
Sorry about everybody's broken hips & vertebra problems. My ancestors hunted deer & gathered berries on wet rocks of WVa mountains until ~1890; I'm designed to fall down & not break anything. Still I won't ride when black ice is on the road. Did break chin at 25 mph impact onto the road in 2018; wear a helmet with chin guard now.
You have quite the rig there! Those knobbies are great to avoid flats! I hardly ever got a flat on my mountain bike, and I do think they are making all tires more flat-resistant. But when we do get a flat on the road, we are used to fixing it rather than asking for help. I guess that's from years of camp touring. I am finding that the new bikes are more complicated and the repairs on the road take more knowledge! We are trying to 'smarten-up'!

Back