Newbie from Buckinghamshire UK

Not quite correct, @Clive58. The European law reads too:
L1e-B “mopeds” are defined as vehicles with a maximum design speed of more than 25 km/h and up to 45 km/h and a maximum continuous rated power of in between 1000 W and 4000 W.

This definition is also valid for the UK:
The L1e-B category is subject to a maximum design vehicle speed of 45 km/h and a maximum continuous rated power of 4000W. In the UK, an electric bike over 250W is legally classified as a moped if it is to be ridden on the road. Mopeds must be 'type approved'*, registered, taxed, insured and have an MOT.

I can tell you I heard the rule of wearing the motorcycle helmet on the L1e-B in the UK at the Electric Mountain Bike Network channel on YouTube, EMBN is made by British guys. Here's a perfect reading for you:

Having said all above: I own the Vado 5.0. I have "type approved"*, registered** and insured*** the bike so I should know better 😊 I only need to wear a regular cycle helmet in Poland, but the MOT has to be done 3 years after the registration date.
-----------------
*) A lot of pain even if Vado 5.0 comes with Vehicle Identification Number and European Certificate of Conformity
**) Even more pain. I was thrown out of the Vehicle Registration Office and came back with more solid papers the next time. I did all my best to avoid the officer who denied registration at the first time. (The Specialized dealer was smarter the second time; he even provided a document the company was a Specialized Authorized Centre having the right to sell Turbo Vado 5.0)
***) The agent had to ask the head office for a permission to register the "electric moped" even if I came with the temporary registration document.

1579220182764.png

Last edited:
Yes that is the rating of a moped In the UK BUT you will not find anywhere in the UK where the 5 is classed as that and it is only rated as a bicycle.

Well... what if you found out Vado 5.0 had a support for the registration plate that is lit at night? The support that cannot be easily removed? A bike with the lights always on and a horn instead of a bell? ;) I think a policeman might notice that and if not the cop, other cyclist might have spotted that...

Strange thing: Why Vado 5.0 is not advertised at the British Specialized web site?!

It has a light switch that can be attached to a horn but is not a UK requirement due to its cycle rating. Additionally there is no number plate and for the UK market a LCD light in the mudguard. The 5 was replaced in the 2020 line up with the 4.0. I’m not sure why!

Clive,
I'm pretty sure the European version of Vado 4.0 is the 15 mph restricted one. All Turbo Vados are of Swiss design and Specialized are deadly serious about the law. If no number plate, no permanent lighting etc, then it is just an EPAC (Electrically Power Assisted Cycle), not the S-Pedelec. From the 2020 Turbo Vado/Como User Manual:

If your VADO/COMO is classified as a Pedelec, your motor support will automatically switch off when you reach a maximum speed of 25 km/h (15.5 mph) or 20/28 mph depending on the country.

I think Specialized do not want to struggle with S-Pedelecs for the UK market. Too low sales? Lack of Certificate of Conformity? Only guessing.

Specialized only sell through Authorized Dealers. Why don't you call any of these stores to confirm. As you can see, there is "Out of Stock" for Vado 4.0. You might determine availability and facts by calling a dealer.

1.SPECIALIZED CONCEPT STORE - RUISLIP
47-49 HIGH STREET
RUISLIP, HA4 7BD
01895 623333
Http://Www.Specializedconceptstore.Co.Uk/Ruislip-Store
STORE HOURS
  • Sunday: 10:00 - 16:00
  • Monday: 09:00 - 18:00
  • Tuesday: 09:00 - 18:00
  • Wednesday: 09:00 - 18:00
  • Thursday: 09:00 - 18:00
  • Friday: 09:00 - 18:00
  • Saturday: 09:00 - 17:30
OUT OF STOCK7.1 MILES AWAY
Get Directions
2.CYCLES UK
484 ST ALBANS ROAD
WATFORD, WD24 6QU
01923 243707
Http://Www.Cyclesuk.Com
STORE HOURSOUT OF STOCK7.9 MILES AWAY
Get Directions
3.STOWS
72 HIGH STREET WEST
SLOUGH, SL1 1EL
01753 520528
Http://Www.Stows.Co.Uk
STORE HOURSOUT OF STOCK8.5 MILES AWAY
Get Directions
4.EVANS CYCLES (MAIDENHEAD)
7, BISHOP CENTRE, BATH RD, TAPLOW, TAPLOW
MAIDENHEAD, SL6 0NY
01628 722300
STORE HOURS
  • Sunday: 10:00 - 17:00
  • Monday: 09:00 - 19:00
  • Tuesday: 09:00 - 19:00
  • Wednesday: 09:00 - 19:00
  • Thursday: 09:00 - 19:00
  • Friday: 09:00 - 19:00
  • Saturday: 09:00 - 18:00
OUT OF STOCK8.9 MILES AWAY
Get Directions
5.CYCLE SURGERY - HEMEL HEMPSTEAD
ST ALBANS HILL
HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, HP3 9NH
01442 508123

The 2020 UK line up are the 3.0 a 4.0 with the main difference being a bigger battery for longer distance. There are a few older models around. I think the main reason for this is the UK classification and that it is classed as an e-cycle. Accordingly Specialized will not garner sales in any other area so it’s fit for purpose! Looking through the specifications apart from the battery they’re the same. There are of course frame variances. ,

Oh, these two model differ in specifications more than you think, especially by more expensive components for the 4.0. That justifies the GBP500 higher price of 4.0.
  • Drive-train
  • Brakes
  • Axles
  • Fork
  • Motor (1.2 vs 1.2e)
  • Battery
That is exactly the 500 pound sterling worth.

Last edited:
Back