New York state assemblyman introduces ebike purchase subsidy/rebate bill

Well it's nice to see the existing rebate extended to ebikes, rather than trying to find new funding ... something NY is kinda short on. And just maybe some of that will help some of the folks that really need transportation ... and get some people off the petri dish like subways. A win.

$2200 bikes will sell like hotcakes.....
A good price point if they are in stock.

Good luck Dewey!
I am eternally glad to have left NYS ( The Cuomo Empire State ) in 1984
'Land Of Taxes
'Status Quomo'

Good luck Dewey!
I am eternally glad to have left NYS ( The Cuomo Empire State ) in 1984
'Land Of Taxes
'Status Quomo'
We're equally glad to be rid of those like the song implies... that can't make it here.
But really CT? You pay Taxes on your taxes not to mention your vehicle

Wow! Quite a turnaround for a state that was not very e-bike friendly just a couple of years ago.

I live in NYS and would certainly love to see this voted into law, but with the state billions of $$$ in the hole don't see too many politicians rushing to vote on this one. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cuomo veto it on budgetary reasons if it got that far.

I agree with @Art Deco’s comment about this measure reusing existing funding. According to NYSERDA the Drive Clean program commits $55 million towards EV auto rebates, in order to reduce emissions by 40% by 2030. That’s an ambitious goal and this measure is a good idea if it encourages at least 2nd car replacement, car-lite rather than car-free seems more reasonable as a short term goal. The Streetsblog article I linked to above reports the average EV price bought under the program is >$50,000, another commenter already mentioned not too many people can afford that so the current program appears currently to benefit car dealers.

Last edited:
I live in NYS and would certainly love to see this voted into law, but with the state billions of $$$ in the hole don't see too many politicians rushing to vote on this one. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cuomo veto it on budgetary reasons if it got that far.
Like stated above this bill isn't asking for more money, it's just rewriting the existing legislation for EV rebates to include ebikes. The money is already allocated.

Wonderful, Where do I go to apply for the rebate for the bike I bought in Oct.

For you NY'ers here, the bill was passed by Senate today and delivered to assembly. That's good news unless it's just some posturing by some politicians knowing it won't go further. Anybody have more?

An article in City & State New York reports the Electric Vehicles bill hasn't passed, unclear what's going to happen to this provision before tomorrow's legislative deadline. Looks as though the legislation in the Assembly was renumbered A00516 for this session.

An article in City & State New York reports the Electric Vehicles bill hasn't passed, unclear what's going to happen to this provision before tomorrow's legislative deadline. Looks as though the legislation in the Assembly was renumbered A00516 for this session.
Without some big juice behind the bill doesnt look good to get thru by deadline. we'll see.

Without some big juice behind the bill doesnt look good to get thru by deadline. we'll see.
The Deadline has passed and no action was taken so it did not pass this year either.

Back