New Voltbike Yukon 750 spotted

@PCDoctorUSA The Yukon 750 uses a geared hub motor. Unlike a direct drive hub, there is no “drag” and the Yukon coasts freely like a regular bike.

I don’t really understand your question. PAS 0 gives you zero assists and the throttle is disabled as well.

If you want to go fast, just use PAS 9, and pedal as fast as possible on the highest gear. The motor seems to continue providing power beyond 32 km/h, but at reduced wattage. I don’t usually ride beyond 32 km/h, but it is possible to pedal at around 38 km/h with motor assist on flats. On a steep downhill, you can go as fast as the wind resistance allows. I have gone over 50 km/h on a downhill, but the gearing is maxed out, and I can’t pedal fast enough anymore.

Last edited:
Two observations:

1) The power of the Yukon 750 is not restricted. You can set the current from 1A to 30A. The label on the controller shows max 20A. I believe the default setting is U.S. 15A (x 48V ~ 750W motor) and Canada 10A (x 48V ~ 500W motor). It is not locked, so the user can change it. I tried setting it to 20A, and my display shows 1,000W on full throttle. I set it back to 15A, because 1,000W is beyond the operating Wattage of the motor, and I don't need that much power.

2) The 32 km/h max speed is based on an average rider weight (say 180 lbs) on flat ground. If you are lighter or going downhill, the throttle alone can go faster than 32 km/hr. Conversely, if you are heavier, then the throttle alone may not reach 32 km/h on flat.

As an experiment, I lifted the rear wheel off the ground (ie. weightless rider), and the throttle alone can reach max 40 km/h. This makes sense, because with a 180 lbs rider, the speed will drop back down to the legal 32 km/h .

Last edited:
@PCDoctorUSA The Yukon 750 uses a geared hub motor. Unlike a direct drive hub, there is no “drag” and the Yukon coasts freely like a regular bike.

I don’t really understand your question. PAS 0 gives you zero assists and the throttle is disabled as well.

If you want to go fast, just use PAS 9, and pedal as fast as possible on the highest gear. The motor seems to continue providing power beyond 32 km/h, but at reduced wattage. I don’t usually ride beyond 32 km/h, but it is possible to pedal at around 38 km/h with motor assist on flats. On a steep downhill, you can go as fast as the wind resistance allows. I have gone over 50 km/h on a downhill, but the gearing is maxed out, and I can’t pedal fast enough anymore.
Thanks for the good info. Regarding PAS 0, I was looking at all options for keeping the hub out of the equation while coasting at a high rate. I wasn't looking to go any faster downhill, I just wanted to make sure the excess speed didn't put any adverse resistance on the hub.

Glad to hear you all love your bikes! I ordered mine on Thursday and received it on Monday. It was too good of a deal to pass up, $200 off regular price plus free shipping. I have very little experience with e-bikes. My Buddy has a Bionix and also added a BBSHD to his KHS500. I rode them each briefly one day and was hooked. My new Yukon 750 Limited has the chain stay protector, derailleur protector and an adjustable handlebar stem. It also has an 11.6Ah battery and a twist throttle instead of a thumb style. I have not ridden it yet except once around the yard at work. It's -14C right now but is supposed to get up to -2 on the weekend. I hope it does so I can try it out a bit. Thanks to all, I enjoyed reading this thread greatly. It is good to know that the bike is so user-friendly and that all sorts of upgrades are possible.
Greg.

Last edited:
Two observations:

1) The power of the Yukon 750 is not restricted. You can set the current from 1A to 30A. The label on the controller shows max 20A. I believe the default setting is U.S. 15A (x 48V ~ 750W motor) and Canada 10A (x 48V ~ 500W motor). It is not locked, so the user can change it. I tried setting it to 20A, and my display shows 1,000W on full throttle. I set it back to 15A, because 1,000W is beyond the operating Wattage of the motor, and I don't need that much power.

2) The 32 km/h max speed is based on an average rider weight (say 180 lbs) on flat ground. If you are lighter or going downhill, the throttle alone can go faster than 32 km/hr. Conversely, if you are heavier, then the throttle alone may not reach 32 km/h on flat.

As an experiment, I lifted the rear wheel off the ground (ie. weightless rider), and the throttle alone can reach max 40 km/h. This makes sense, because with a 180 lbs rider, the speed will drop back down to the legal 32 km/h .
Glad to hear you all love your bikes! I ordered mine on Thursday and received it on Monday. It was too good of a deal to pass up, $200 off regular price plus free shipping. I have very little experience with e-bikes. My Buddy has a Bionix and also added a BBSHD to his KHS500. I rode them each briefly one day and was hooked. My new Yukon 750 Limited has the chain stay protector, derailleur protector and an adjustable handlebar stem. It also has an 11.6Ah battery and a twist throttle instead of a thumb style. I have not ridden it yet except once around the yard at work. It's -14C right now but is supposed to get up to -2 on the weekend. I hope it does so I can try it out a bit. Thanks to all, I enjoyed reading this thread greatly. It is good to know that the bike is so user-friendly and that all sorts of upgrades are possible.
Greg.

Welcome Nobling. You are going to love your bike. I have the Yukon 750 limited and it is everything I hoped for in an electric bike.

@SuperGoop @ace20ri I didn't get to pull the trigger on a bike by the end of 2017 as I had hoped. Life happened and took my bike money with it. Got a tax refund that could help put a dent towards the purchase price, so I'm back in the game. In the interim, I've been reading posts throughout the EBR forum and elsewhere and am concerned that the ascent on the last leg of my commute home may be too much for a rear hub motor. If you have time, would you mind taking a look at this hill climb diagram that I exported from my Garmin and give me your thoughts on whether the Yukon 750 Limited could handle this on a daily basis. If it won't, will a mid-drive do it? Or perhaps I just need to let the wife keep picking me up at the bottom of the hill. BTW, I'm 220# with another 5-10# in cargo. Thanks guys!

If there is one lesson after 2,500 km, I’d consider a less flashy bike. The fat tires draw too much attention. I am now looking at the Surface 604 Colt.
This is one of the reasons I’m going with the E-Glide ST as not only is it a great bike but it doesn’t scream E- Bike!

@SuperGoop @ace20ri I didn't get to pull the trigger on a bike by the end of 2017 as I had hoped. Life happened and took my bike money with it. Got a tax refund that could help put a dent towards the purchase price, so I'm back in the game. In the interim, I've been reading posts throughout the EBR forum and elsewhere and am concerned that the ascent on the last leg of my commute home may be too much for a rear hub motor. If you have time, would you mind taking a look at this hill climb diagram that I exported from my Garmin and give me your thoughts on whether the Yukon 750 Limited could handle this on a daily basis. If it won't, will a mid-drive do it? Or perhaps I just need to let the wife keep picking me up at the bottom of the hill. BTW, I'm 220# with another 5-10# in cargo. Thanks guys!
I have the Yukon 750 Limited. It has more than enough power to handle any hill I've come across. The two mile hill will definitely shorten the range of the battery. What is the total length of the commute. The elevation gain of about 430 feet over two miles indicates that the grade isn't too extreme. Maybe about a one foot gain every 30 feet. You wouldn't even need power level 9 for that. Correct me if I have messed up on the calculations. The ride back would be a breeze.

I have the Yukon 750 Limited. It has more than enough power to handle any hill I've come across. The two mile hill will definitely shorten the range of the battery. What is the total length of the commute. The elevation gain of about 430 feet over two miles indicates that the grade isn't too extreme. Maybe about a one foot gain every 30 feet. You wouldn't even need power level 9 for that. Correct me if I have messed up on the calculations. The ride back would be a breeze.
The commute is 8 miles one-way. You can get a better visual on this (Link Removed - No Longer Exists). The descent in the morning is great. I average about 36 mph coasting on my Trek FX 7.2 fitness bike, but have made it to 40 mph before common sense caught up with me. Thankfully, I haven't had to lock up the ol' rim brakes. Here's a YT video of the descent. Maybe it will give you a better feel of the hill for the return.

The ascent is gradual with a slight level-off (1:00 mark on the video) before the grade where it becomes noticeably steeper. This is where I usually dismount and push the bike up when the wife's shuttle service isn't available. I have made the climb about a half-dozen times, but I'm in the lowest gear trying to maintain 4 mph and convince my heart to stay in my chest. I think what makes it worse is it's the last 1.5 miles of my ride at the end of my workday.

That sounds brutal. Have you ever tried an electric bike before. You will be amazed as to how effortless it is to ride. Hills or no hills. The Yukon 750 Limited is one powerful bike. I'm 71 and not that athletic but hills are not an issue for me at all on this bike. I wouldn't be riding one otherwise. If anything it has too much power. haha.

The commute is 8 miles one-way. You can get a better visual on this (Link Removed - No Longer Exists). The descent in the morning is great. I average about 36 mph coasting on my Trek FX 7.2 fitness bike, but have made it to 40 mph before common sense caught up with me. Thankfully, I haven't had to lock up the ol' rim brakes. Here's a YT video of the descent. Maybe it will give you a better feel of the hill for the return.

The ascent is gradual with a slight level-off (1:00 mark on the video) before the grade where it becomes noticeably steeper. This is where I usually dismount and push the bike up when the wife's shuttle service isn't available. I have made the climb about a half-dozen times, but I'm in the lowest gear trying to maintain 4 mph and convince my heart to stay in my chest. I think what makes it worse is it's the last 1.5 miles of my ride at the end of my workday.

You have a great commute, it make me miss Hawaii!! From what I saw, your only issue will be a lack of gears, if you can reach 40 mph downhill on a regular bike, I am sure you would love to go as fast with your fat bike too. I have heard of some people installing a bigger ring gear at the front, but you will be limited with on 7 gears. I have a 9 gear cassette and the only time I switch it to the 9th gear is going downhill. I love going fast. And I can guarantee you that the reset of your commute shouldn't be below 20 mph with a ebike, as long you don't get stock behind too many buses... lol

Cheers

You have a great commute, it make me miss Hawaii!! From what I saw, your only issue will be a lack of gears, if you can reach 40 mph downhill on a regular bike, I am sure you would love to go as fast with your fat bike too. I have heard of some people installing a bigger ring gear at the front, but you will be limited with on 7 gears. I have a 9 gear cassette and the only time I switch it to the 9th gear is going downhill. I love going fast. And I can guarantee you that the reset of your commute shouldn't be below 20 mph with a ebike, as long you don't get stock behind too many buses... lol

Cheers
My big concern is the ascent back up. I've reached out to a lot of people here who have had offered some great feedback both in these forums and private conversations in hopes of coming up with a consensus of the best direction to go in regards to type of drive: geared rear hub or mid-drive. I don't know anyone locally who owns any type of electric bike, and I only spot an electric bike in my daily commute once in a blue moon so these forums are my only source for info. I have yet to find a LBS that is both knowledgeable and passionate about selling ebikes that could help me. The big brand dealers (Specialized and Trek) only have a few models to make the Brand happy while they concentrate on selling non-ebikes. The owner of one ebike-only shop couldn't even tell me the correct model names of the bikes he had to sell or even figure out their displays to show me the Assist levels. I actually knew more than he did thanks to EBR forum members and Cort's reviews.

For those that have looked at the Garmin graph of my ascent, most have said the geared rear hub on the Yukon 750 will make the once daily climb without issue. I've had one reader in another EBR forum that says a geared rear hub won't make it, but a Bafang BBS02 mid-drive will. My goal this weekend is to visit a shop that rents ebikes to the tourists and see if they have a geared hub model so I can see how it does on my hill. I'm really hoping the geared rear hub will do the job because there are no mid-drive options in the Yukon's price range even with adding in the cost of changing out the tires to something more street commuter friendly once the Yukon arrives. Voltbike's shipping charge of $120 to Hawaii is also the cheapest of ANY online dealer I've found yet. If a dealer ships to Hawaii at all, the price is between $300 and $500.

Thanks in advance to anyone else that would like to chime in.

My big concern is the ascent back up. I've reached out to a lot of people here who have had offered some great feedback both in these forums and private conversations in hopes of coming up with a consensus of the best direction to go in regards to type of drive: geared rear hub or mid-drive. I don't know anyone locally who owns any type of electric bike, and I only spot an electric bike in my daily commute once in a blue moon so these forums are my only source for info. I have yet to find a LBS that is both knowledgeable and passionate about selling ebikes that could help me. The big brand dealers (Specialized and Trek) only have a few models to make the Brand happy while they concentrate on selling non-ebikes. The owner of one ebike-only shop couldn't even tell me the correct model names of the bikes he had to sell or even figure out their displays to show me the Assist levels. I actually knew more than he did thanks to EBR forum members and Cort's reviews.

For those that have looked at the Garmin graph of my ascent, most have said the geared rear hub on the Yukon 750 will make the once daily climb without issue. I've had one reader in another EBR forum that says a geared rear hub won't make it, but a Bafang BBS02 mid-drive will. My goal this weekend is to visit a shop that rents ebikes to the tourists and see if they have a geared hub model so I can see how it does on my hill. I'm really hoping the geared rear hub will do the job because there are no mid-drive options in the Yukon's price range even with adding in the cost of changing out the tires to something more street commuter friendly once the Yukon arrives. Voltbike's shipping charge of $120 to Hawaii is also the cheapest of ANY online dealer I've found yet. If a dealer ships to Hawaii at all, the price is between $300 and $500.

Thanks in advance to anyone else that would like to chime in.

I am looking for my first ebike also and have narrowed it down between the Voltbike Yukon 750 Limited and the Haibike Urban Plus (mid-drive). For me they are At $2000CDN and $2200CDN respectively. I don't have many hills so part of me says go for the Yukon but overall I think the Haibike has better components and if the COBI system works with my Samsung S8 then that's a big bonus.

I am looking for my first ebike also and have narrowed it down between the Voltbike Yukon 750 Limited and the Haibike Urban Plus (mid-drive). For me they are At $2000CDN and $2200CDN respectively. I don't have many hills so part of me says go for the Yukon but overall I think the Haibike has better components and if the COBI system works with my Samsung S8 then that's a big bonus.

Are you sure about that price for the Haibike Urban Plus? Never seen it at that price...

Wow it is sure a great deal! But I wonder about that Cobi thing it seems kind of scary and could this be the reason for the price drop? Otherwise I would go for the Haibike right away!

Back