new Vado SL - changing Chainring to 40T

VadoSL

Region
United Kingdom
Thanks to this forum I have just bought a new Vado SL 4.0 EQ ....

Looking to change the chainring (44T ??) to 40T as prefer better uphill performance as opposed to outright speed. Should I stick with Praxis or any suggestions on other makes ?
Thanks

I would go even smaller, perhaps 36t, if you’re looking for better low end performance. Of course, you’ll be sacrificing a few gear inches off the top end, but depending on your riding style that may not matter to you.
On my 10-46 cassette drivetrain I swapped out the stock 42t chainring, and settled on a 34t ring for now, after trying out 32t and 36t as well. With the smaller ring I’m able to utilize all 12 cogs on my cassette efficiently.

I agree with @BikerG you might be well off with a 36 or a 38T ring. It can be any good 104 BCD 4-hole chainring; Shimano, Garbaruk, Wolftooth... No need for Praxis. Chainrings up to 38T are in the MTB domain and are readily available. (It is far harder to get such a chainring in sizes from 40T up).

However, you will need to get rid of the chainguard, and also buy a set of 8x8mm MTB chainring bolts with nuts (these come in packs of five). You will need a Park Tool CNW-2 Chainring Nut Wrench (or similar) as well. (Praxis rings use threaded screws while all other use bolts with nuts). You will need to shorten your chain, too.

I went from 46t to 38t on my Creo it was a simple swap with no issues other than shortening the chain, It made a hell of a difference tackling the hills around the Peak District.

Is the stock Praxis chainring Aluminum or Steel. Also looking at Race Face or TA - any preference ?

Last edited:
Is the stock Praxis chainring Aluminum or Steel.
It is aluminium. Aluminium alloy used in chainrings is lightweight, hard and durable. However, MTB rings take more stress on their fewer teeth because of their small size; that's why some MTBers prefer steel.

Last edited:
Back