New U500 (V3) - Missing 1st & 2nd Gear

Logger

Hi First Post.
Brand New U500 purchased as a Christmas present for my wife. Here is in Australia there are still a few new ones available.
Today after one week of use, a brief noise from the rear hub when changing down gears after coasting downhill, then no longer able to select anything but third gear. I had a bit of a play with the selector cable. Disconnected it at the hub and it seemingly still moves through the selection range. However when Gear 1 or 2 are selected the hub is not in gear and everything freewheels. I am guessing 3rd is direct drive and something within the hub is broken. Any ideas what issue is likely to be?

File a claim for support with Juiced after you register your bike. Additionally since all the electric stuff (the motor) is in the front hub you can at least have a local bike shop take a look and diagnose it? If that will give juiced some real info and maybe swap out the hub for you.

best of luck let us know what happens.

Andy

Good idea except I am in Australia - there is no need to register with juiced. Here the local distributor who as it happens is the retailer I bought it from, automatically provides warranty. Hopefully he has the parts for repair but will not be able to ascertain this until after the new years break. I am out in the countryside over 100 mile from a bike shop though.
In the mean time though, I just happen to flying across the Pacific to Los Angeles for 3 days tomorrow and will be somewhat near the home of Juiced for the next 3 days. Maybe I can find someone near Long Beach who is familiar with these things? I am guessing most businesses will be shut over the new year though.
It must not be a common issue as I do not see reports or other people having this problem.??

Last edited:
Thanks I contacted support and got the videos. They revealed little other than how to adjust the cable.
I then described the issue to the distributor in Australia and he agreed it is likely a mechanical failure within the hub. A pawl or spring broken. So it will be going back for a repair. A little disappointing after barely a week of use. Hopefully a one off that wont happen again.

Just an update on what the issue actually was. Two broken pawls in the hub.

Must have been poor quality control as they snapped in the first week of use, jamming the bike in 3rd gear. Distributor here in Melbourne Australia chased down the parts and completed the repair promptly once I eventually got the bike into him. Hopefully it is reliable from now on in.

Back