New to the eBike scene...

Gobuckeyes2002

Hello all I just purchased a Trek verve +3 and have owned the bike for less than a week. I tried the Electra Townie Go 7d, and the verve +2 before deciding to go with the verve +3. So far I’m really enjoying the bike. I really like the integrated battery and the matte black frame. I don’t know a whole bunch about the bike but I am learning. I was trying to search this morning to see if I have the gen 3 or gen 4 Bosch motor. Anyway, glad to be here and look forward to reading and learning more about eBikes in general. Thanks.

Attachments

• EBB84B30-619E-4486-A0F1-67BF9B51B86A.jpeg
    EBB84B30-619E-4486-A0F1-67BF9B51B86A.jpeg
    700.5 KB · Views: 377
Welcome!

I'm no expert but I believe, based on the pic, that you have a Gen 3 motor (the Gen 4's appear smaller to me). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice bike!

Both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Bosch motors are excellent. I somewhat like the Gen 3's since you can still easily 'chip' them to increase your top pedal assisted speed.

Enjoy your new bike and the EBR forums!

Welcome!

I'm no expert but I believe, based on the pic, that you have a Gen 3 motor (the Gen 4's appear smaller to me). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice bike!

Both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Bosch motors are excellent. I somewhat like the Gen 3's since you can still easily 'chip' them to increase your top pedal assisted speed.

Enjoy your new bike and the EBR forums!

From what I can tell I am thinking it’s gen 3 as well. I just started reading about how you can chip them. Very cool indeed. Does that void your warranty?

From what I can tell I am thinking it’s gen 3 as well. I just started reading about how you can chip them. Very cool indeed. Does that void your warranty?

Welcome to EBR. 😉

I would recommend that you remove the speed chip if you need warranty work.

Hello all I just purchased a Trek verve +3 and have owned the bike for less than a week. I tried the Electra Townie Go 7d, and the verve +2 before deciding to go with the verve +3. So far I’m really enjoying the bike. I really like the integrated battery and the matte black frame. I don’t know a whole bunch about the bike but I am learning. I was trying to search this morning to see if I have the gen 3 or gen 4 Bosch motor. Anyway, glad to be here and look forward to reading and learning more about eBikes in general. Thanks.

So I ended up running across a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 equipped and fell in love with it. I was still within my return period of one week with the Trek so I made the switch. Waiting for the bike to be prepared for delivery. Very excited. They had two colors matte navy and dove grey. To be honest I think I prefer the dove grey but the blue was the color that my size of large was available. Looking forward to take delivery Tuesday.

Attachments

• E3D930B3-94C8-406B-901E-9B8A9979A0F3.jpeg
    E3D930B3-94C8-406B-901E-9B8A9979A0F3.jpeg
    812.1 KB · Views: 351
So I ended up running across a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 equipped and fell in love with it. I was still within my return period of one week with the Trek so I made the switch. Waiting for the bike to be prepared for delivery. Very excited.
They had two colors matte navy and dove grey. To be honest I think I prefer the dove grey but the blue was the color that my size of large was available. Looking forward to taking delivery Tuesday.

Congrats... enjoy the ride! 😉

Last edited:
So I ended up running across a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 equipped and fell in love with it. I was still within my return period of one week with the Trek so I made the switch. Waiting for the bike to be prepared for delivery. Very excited. They had two colors matte navy and dove grey. To be honest I think I prefer the dove grey but the blue was the color that my size of large was available. Looking forward to take delivery Tuesday.
You made the right call. Weight to me is important with the Trek @ 54 lbs+ and the Vado @ 33. Thats a big deal when transporting on a bike rack, moving it up a stairs, and total trip range. Nothing against Trek who make great bikes, but Specialized won this one.

You made the right call. Weight to me is important with the Trek @ 54 lbs+ and the Vado @ 33. Thats a big deal when transporting on a bike rack, moving it up a stairs, and total trip range. Nothing against Trek who make great bikes, but Specialized won this one.

I couldn’t agree more. The weight of this along with the styling really hides to most people that it is an ebike. I put about 52 miles on the trek when I had it and liked it. It was nice. I have ridden the Vado SL now for about 200 miles and it is just a completely different experience. They are both nice bikes. What sold me was the weight. Once I’m done riding I just put it back hanging from the ceiling on the same hooks as we’ve hung our other bikes. I can get it up there no problem by myself. That was a two person job with the trek.

You made the right call. Weight to me is important with the Trek @ 54 lbs+ and the Vado @ 33.
That's a big deal when transporting on a bike rack, moving it up a stairs, and total trip range.
Nothing against Trek who make great bikes, but Specialized won this one.

Wow, a 21 lb difference... I have a few traditional bikes that weigh less than that. ;)

Congratulations, that Specialized is a beautiful bike and a remarkable weight. I have the Verve +3 and really need the low-step as I am 5’2” in height. I have put over 2000 km on it now, about half pavement and half trails from gravel to grassy woodland/single track. Really happy with the bike, no issues so far. Have a Redshift stem on the way and will likely add their seat post to smooth the bumps out a bit more for my 65 year old butt. Enjoy your ride Gobuckeyes!

Congratulations, that Specialized is a beautiful bike and a remarkable weight. I have the Verve +3 and really need the low-step as I am 5’2” in height. I have put over 2000 km on it now, about half pavement and half trails from gravel to grassy woodland/single track. Really happy with the bike, no issues so far. Have a Redshift stem on the way and will likely add their seat post to smooth the bumps out a bit more for my 65 year old butt. Enjoy your ride Gobuckeyes!
Thanks! Let me know how you like the Redshift stem. I was researching that and thought about it.

Curious to get your opinion on Ride comfort between teh Verve +3 and the Vado SL : Verve appears upright by comparison

Curious to get your opinion on Ride comfort between teh Verve +3 and the Vado SL : Verve appears upright by comparison

I found the Verve + to be very comfortable. The tires seemed a little more forgiving and the ride was more upright. I also liked the suspension seat post. I really felt how heavy the bike was but the Bosch motor more than made up for it.

The Vado sl is a different experience altogether. I still find it comfortable but you do lean a little more forward (not much) but it is noticeable. It is also less forgiving on road imperfections (I have the 4.0 so no future shock). The part that really got me hooked was it just feels like a regular bike. It is much lighter and you certainly notice.

We got my wife a Verve 3 about 2 months ago. She loves it. Now contemplating how to transport if we purchase a small RV. I thought the front wheel had a quick release but didn't see a lever. Need to use a hex key and unscrew? Do you need to get some kind of a shim to put in where the brake rotor goes? We're looking at a small RV that has a bunk house section with an out door hatch. Seems like I would have to pull the front wheel to place inside.

We got my wife a Verve 3 about 2 months ago. She loves it. Now contemplating how to transport if we purchase a small RV. I thought the front wheel had a quick release but didn't see a lever. Need to use a hex key and unscrew? Do you need to get some kind of a shim to put in where the brake rotor goes? We're looking at a small RV that has a bunk house section with an out door hatch. Seems like I would have to pull the front wheel to place inside.
You can use a Shim like a Quarter > They make a plastic one : Just be careful and don't grab the Break Levers when the wheels are off : As for Quick Release : My guess is they don't use them because Quick Releases aren't always consistent to being in the identical place they were before you took them Off : Could be you didn't tighten it enough or to much. Even though It's more effort to remove the wheel with a wrench : I actually prefer it :

On a Regular Bike as well. QR Levers can lead to disc brake rubbing that you have to fiddle around with : Putting a Wrench on eliminates that variable

You can use a Shim like a Quarter > They make a plastic one : Just be careful and don't grab the Break Levers when the wheels are off : As for Quick Release : My guess is they don't use them because Quick Releases aren't always consistent to being in the identical place they were before you took them Off : Could be you didn't tighten it enough or to much. Even though It's more effort to remove the wheel with a wrench : I actually prefer it :

On a Regular Bike as well. QR Levers can lead to disc brake rubbing that you have to fiddle around with : Putting a Wrench on eliminates that variable

I had my Trek dealer supply a quick release for me, which they did free of charge. It works fine. They also provided a couple of orange plastic tabs to slide into the disk pads when the wheel is off.

I had my Trek dealer supply a quick release for me, which they did free of charge. It works fine. They also provided a couple of orange plastic tabs to slide into the disk pads when the wheel is off.
Yeah Pretty Inexpensive for them.
You'll Appreciate the Seat Post : Hate to tell you this But The Stem Won't work :: You have a Verve Correct ??? It has a Quill stem : The Redshift Stem Requires an A-Head
: You could make some changes to use the redshift. But You'd sacrifice that great Adjustable stem that comes with your Verve OEM.

The seat Post will be good But not the stem Sorry

Back