Hello from Minneapolis

michaeljk1963

Region
USA
My name is Michael (obviously). I will be 60 in a couple of months. Three years ago, I was riding along a paved trail near my cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior on my analog commuter bike. I was about 8 miles from home. I had a hypoglycemic "incident" (meaning my blood sugar went low because I have type 1 diabetes and take insulin). Normally, this wouldn't have been a big deal. I've had diabetes for nearly 30 years. I often have to stop on a ride, eat a protein bar or some glucose tablets, wait ten minutes to recover, and get back on my bike. This time was different--maybe due to age or how long I've had diabetes. Anyway, I didn't fully recover in the way I normally did, and it was a very shaky, weak, and not certain ride back to the cabin. Later that summer, it happened again. That winter, I was contemplating whether it was time to give up on riding bikes, which I'd been doing pretty consistently for 50 years.

So, I spent that winter watching videos about eBikes. Two years ago, I bought my first one: an Aventon Pace. The motor stopped working 30 minutes into my first ride, then tried some troubleshooting, brought it back to the shop and when they couldn't figure out why it didn't work, got a refund. I know that Aventon gets very high marks from lots of different reviewers, so I am sure it was a fluke. Still, not great.

Two months later, after doing a bit more research, and reconsidering my price point (doubling it), I bought a Trek Verve+ 3 XL (I am 6'4" and decided if I am going to be $3,200 for a bike, I want it to fit me well). I absolutely love my Verve. I've put about 2,000 miles on it (I am a casual rider, mostly on the weekends, and occasionally use it to commute to the office). In fact, I loved it so much, we bought the same bike (in the M size) for my wife, and we go riding all the time together now.

I like having an eBike so much, I decided to buy a second bike specifically for cabin use. As noted in a thread I started elsewhere on this forum, a couple of days ago, I bought a Specialized "Turbo" (electric) Tero "hard tail mountain bike." I will be picking it up tonight from the bike shop and bringing it up to the cabin for the next week to see how I like it. Crossing fingers that it is as good a fit for that environment as my Verve+ 3 is for City riding.

Hi Michael. Eager to hear your experience with the Tero. I suspect you are really going to like it.

Hey Michael, it's awesome to know that there are more people like us dealing with type one diabetes. Personally, I've been living with diabetes for 12 years, and let me tell you, it's a constant battle. But thanks to advanced technology, managing our blood sugar levels has become slightly more manageable. I also had a scary experience with hypoglycemia while out on a bike ride once.

In 2016, I went on a two-week journey in Switzerland, where we traversed the majestic Alps. During this time, I experienced a sudden drop in blood sugar levels, which caused my vision to darken. Luckily, I was there with a friend who recognized the situation and provided me with the necessary sugar intake to stabilize my condition.

Now, I am using a freestyle libre angel number 1212 device that sends real-time notifications to my phone alerting me of any decrease in blood sugar. I've had a few hypoglycemic shocks even on an electric bike, so I carry sugar everywhere with me..

I currently use a Verve+ 3 Lowstep for my urban commute, but I am planning to purchase a more rugged off-road bike at some point down the line. :)

Last edited:
Hey Michael, it's awesome to know that there are more people like us dealing with type one diabetes. Personally, I've been living with diabetes for 12 years, and let me tell you, it's a constant battle. But thanks to advanced technology, managing our blood sugar levels has become slightly more manageable. I also had a scary experience with hypoglycemia while out on a bike ride once.

In 2016, I went on a two-week journey in Switzerland, where we traversed the majestic Alps. During this time, I experienced a sudden drop in blood sugar levels, which caused my vision to darken. Luckily, I was there with a friend who recognized the situation and provided me with the necessary sugar intake to stabilize my condition.

Now, I am using a freestyle libre device that sends real-time notifications to my phone alerting me of any decrease in blood sugar. I've had a few hypoglycemic shocks even on an electric bike, so I carry sugar everywhere with me..

I currently use a Verve+ 3 Lowstep for my urban commute, but I am planning to purchase a more rugged off-road bike at some point down the line. :)
I used to use the Libre, and am now using the Dexcom G6, and will soon be switching to the G7. I like that it sends me live information to my phone (and Apple Watch) so I don't just get alerts, but also get live updates every five minutes on my glucose (except it is actually 20 minutes behind my actual blood sugar based on the way it collects the information (from your interstitial fluids rather than actual blood), but I know where my sugars are headed as I am riding, but even then it can fall fast. I also just bought a bag that attaches to my bike's top tube that is perfect for a couple of protein bars and a glucose tablet tube, so I can eat something without even needing to stop!

Back