New to ebiking with a new ebike!

King me

Hello. I've been researching ebikes for several weeks, logging lots of online miles and making several in-person visits to ebike-carrying LBS's. The day has arrived. A week ago I ordered and today just received my new set of wheels. It's a Cannondale Synapse Neo SE, Class 1, drop-bar, gravel/all-arounder.

Took the SE on a short 2ish mile jaunt with one decent hill to test the motor's torque and climbing ability. The thing that impressed me right off was the seamless power assistance of the Bosch Active Line Plus mid-drive motor, especially at the top end when the bike's speed exceeds the motor's assistance limit. I could not tell where the threshold was. Much more to tell, but I'll keep it brief for now and expand as I ride in more situations and have more opinions. Interested in feedback from any other owners of this bike. Cheers.

Congratulations! It looks as a wonderful gravel e-bike. Report your experiences in the future!

Well, I've logged a total of 75 miles over two rides the last four days. On Saturday, rolling hills with one road providing several challenging sections. Yesterday was a little flatter but bucked some headwind on the return ride. On the flats, I was surprised at the relative ease of pedaling this bike at a reasonable pace without electric assistance. The weight shows up quickly though as the grade increases. Still, If I was literally stranded with a dead battery, I could grind my way up most of the sections I rode if I had to. The lowest gearing is a 44/42 combination. Over the two rides I probably used the motor about 35%-40% of the entire time, mostly Eco with some Tour mode. With that kind of sparing use of motor, I can be confident to use the SE for some of the longer organized century rides, etc., I do on an annual basis.

Early complaints:
For the price of this bike and compared to others in this range, I would have expected a better derailleur & shifter. I like the stability of the SE on descents, but I think some would say the bike tends to under-steer on corners. I'm building up my trust and confidence to lean the bike over more for a better line. The rear brake has been making noise, not while braking, on some of the climbs and under load. The mechanic at the shop trued-up the wheel and fiddled with the caliper & pads to better center the rotor. It was still making noise on the second ride, but quieted down toward the the end of the ride. I'm not a fan of the Fabric brand saddle spec'd with the bike, so I put my own on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_134910.jpg
    IMG_20200212_134910.jpg
    893.7 KB · Views: 323
Thank you for posting about your new C'dale Synapse Neo. I'm considering getting one of these to replace my Trek Powerfly which I love but not the weight! I am not sure which model to get but I'm very tempted by the SE with the 650b wheels. I've never tried 650s - how do you find them? Also, I need to have mudguards (fenders). I see all the models have eyelets for guards but I am concerned that the mudguards may be too close on the 650b x 47 tyres. Got any thoughts on this?

Many thanks.

Hi Timo and thanks for your reply. The 650b wheels are new to me, but I am warming up to them very quickly. The spec'd tires (Byway 47mm) have a pressure range of 35-50 psi. The ride is very comfy on the road - can't speak yet to gravel trails & off road. I think the fenders will have no issues with the tires specified. I haven't tried or seen a Powerfly in person. How heavy is yours? My SE weighs right around 40 pounds (including battery) and as I have said earlier, It pedals unassisted on the flats very comparably to my road bike.

Let me know when you get a chance to try one out and reply with your thoughts & impressions.
Cheers for now.

More of my ongoing review experiences with the Neo SE:
Since this is my first ebike/pedelec, it would be unfair to uniquely give it all the credit or the blame for my opinions. I've repeatedly read on other reviews (of other bikes) that getting an ebike was a game-changer. I agree. But to completely express in writing why it is, would take time and in some cases defy communication. Here's a few attempts: 1. Your real time options while on a ride with your ebike are multiplied. You, the rider find yourself thinking of the ride before you as an adventure and you feel constantly invited to do something more and different. True this can happen with any bike. The difference with E-assistance is that you have this 'aha' moment that your physical range is expanded and enhanced. It relaxes the mind into enjoyment of the moment. 2. I recently read this elsewhere, but I shamelessly repeat it here: Greg LeMond said - "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster" (and farther). In riding with my local club since using the SE, I've come home with my legs feeling every bit as blasted as any of my non-assisted rides. On a climb, I might punch up the level to Tour or Sport yet still pedal hard enough to stay just under my cardio red-zone. The rush is seeing an average speed on a segment I could never do otherwise. Sure I stop to regroup more, but interval training is a good thing! 3. On the return leg of a recent group ride, we were fighting a decent headwind. I turned up the assist level and told everybody to get on my wheel. Towing the group back to the shop felt kinda cool, especially because one of the riders was bonking pretty badly.

If anybody else reading this has other examples of their own game-changing moments on their ebike, I'd enjoy reading about them.
Cheers.

I love to listen to Endomondo audio assistant ticking the kilometre after the kilometre so quickly. I'm doing so far (and fast) rides with my e-bikes I could not dream about with an acoustic bike.

Last autumn, I took two friends of mine for a group ride (they were riding trad bikes) . Without even thinking, I made a 50+ km loop with them. I wonder how tired they were at the end of the ride.

I started a thread in general discussion for owners of drop bar road ebikes weighing 40 lbs. or less. Was hoping to get reports of owner experiences there all in one place. Would appreciate it if you posted there and you probably would find the thread interesting.

Thank you King me for your helpful reply. And thank you Captain Slow for the push in that direction - will do!

I live in the UK and after our dreadful weather we're having, I'm a bit envious that you (King me) live in sunny California. One of our sons had the good sense to marry an American and they live in San Luis Obispo. Of course, that means my wife and I have to visit every year - poor us! It was after our recent stay that I got interested in lighter E bikes. We stayed in an Air BnB in Santa Cruz which included free use of a couple of new E bikes. They were small capacity hub drives and I was a bit sniffy about them until I rode one. I couldn't believe I could pick it up with one hand (I'm in my seventies and my muscles have mysteriously disappeared). Of course, the Neo is heavier than those but it seems to be a great compromise between my heavy Trek mountain bike and a light hub drive.

To answer your question, King me, my Trek with battery, mudguards, rack, lights, small tool pack and pump comes out at 27 kgs (59.5 lbs).

Timo, my Juiced CCS weighs around 63 lbs. with all the accessories attached and while I enjoyed the bike and it has it's purpose I wouldn't call it a fun bike to ride. My new Creo OTOH rides just like my Cervelo, weighs probably around 30 lbs. and it is a joy to ride.

I think you'll like your Cannondale quite a lot when it arrives.

Back