New to eBikes and the forum

Verino

I just ordered a Bafang BBS02B 750W mid-drive kit yesterday. After pulling the trigger on the purchase I had been contemplating and preparing for, I stumbled on this forum. Better late than never! I think, despite not having the benefit of the collected wisdom here, I made good decisions. I've been a road cyclist for most of my life, having ridden my first century at the age of 14. I was a licensed USCF racer briefly and have logged 5000 cycling miles or more a year a number of times. I've broken both of my hips in separate cycling accidents, the first in 2005 and the second in 2009. I continued riding despite the accidents until this year. Now I'm looking forward to beginning a new cycling adventure. I've had a 1990's vintage Cannondale mountain bike languishing in my toolshed, which I'm converting to an ebike. I'm hoping it will be a good complement to the travel my wife and I are doing. I built a spartan, but functional RV from a 2006 Sprinter van in 2016, and have been carrying one of my bikes on our travels. I'll be carrying the ebike instead, in the hopes that I'll ride more.

Welcome Verino to EBR and nice to have you. I know that it’s not going to be like your motorcycle racing days, but now you will get to go where motorcycles can’t. You will get to see nature at its best on trail ways and rail trails. It’s a different side of life. Good luck and I hope that you will submit some photos of your project.

Thank you, but I think you misunderstood. I was a bicyclist and bicycle racer. I will definitely post a photo or two once I do the conversion.

I completed my build, at least for now. I've programmed the controller to settings that are much more to my liking than the default settings, using a modified version of the Kepler profile. Here are a couple of photos of the completed bike. I've test ridden it a couple of times so far. My first ride was with the default settings, which I didn't like at all. The bike surged repeatedly and didn't give me nearly the assist I had hoped for on the few small hills I tested it on. After adjusting the settings in the 500C display and reprogramming the controller, I'm getting a much smoother ride and more of the assist I had hoped for. My initial impression is that it will allow me to get the benefits of the smooth, low-impact rotation of riding on level or slightly descending ground, regardless of the actual terrain. I have yet to test it on any real hills though.

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_115005425_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201014_115005425_HDR.jpg
    919.4 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20201014_115034192_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201014_115034192_HDR.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 268
Welcome. Nice looking conversion and wishing you lots of good miles.

Thank you! I just returned from a still short, but longer ride with a real hill in it. The bike handled the roughly mile-long hill with segments up to about a 10% grade easily. I was a little worried, since I lost all my granny gears in the conversion and I opted for a 48 tooth chairing to get a good top end. I have a pretty standard 9-speed cassette of maybe 12-28 teeth. Years of cycling have me well trained to avoid the inner cogs when on a chainring that large to avoid over-stressing the chain, so I wasn't using the lowest of my already diminished gears. I'm very pleased with the bike's performance. Now I need to log enough miles to learn what the range of the 48v 13ah battery is as I'm using it.

Back