New tires for ST2, which ones where to buy?

opimax

Region
USA
City
Atlanta
My rear tire is bald ! Time for a new set . Happy almost 12k miles and celebrate with some nice tires for my ST 2. I am running 26x2.00 . The choices seem to be Schwalbe Marathons or the Continetals which come on the S. I am leaning towards the Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe HS 420 based on the description of "luxury version of the Marathon". The different Marathons are Marathon HS 420, Marathon Deluxe HS 420 and Marathon Plus HS 440

My riding is over 90% paved bike path, 5% compact dirt/gravel (C&O canal) 5% bike lanes in the country. I wore out Big Apples w/either 1 or no flats .so I don't need the ultimate puncture proof but I can't change the rear tire myself , too heavy for my back no matter how I would try.

Lastly any recommended dealer to purchase from?

Thanks in adavance

I just got off the phone w/Schwalbe, they recommend Marathon Plus HS 440. the Marathon Deluxe on their website has been discontinued. Now the decision has been made . I will look a little locally and then order on Amazon is my game plan. I also have a cracked rim on the rear around 1 spoke eyelet. I guess that needs to be taken care of 1st. At some point I will use them so i'm going to order sooner rather than later.

Still open to comments...

My rear tire is bald ! Time for a new set . Happy almost 12k miles and celebrate with some nice tires for my ST 2. I am running 26x2.00 . The choices seem to be Schwalbe Marathons or the Continetals which come on the S. I am leaning towards the Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe HS 420 based on the description of "luxury version of the Marathon". The different Marathons are Marathon HS 420, Marathon Deluxe HS 420 and Marathon Plus HS 440

My riding is over 90% paved bike path, 5% compact dirt/gravel (C&O canal) 5% bike lanes in the country. I wore out Big Apples w/either 1 or no flats .so I don't need the ultimate puncture proof but I can't change the rear tire myself , too heavy for my back no matter how I would try.

Lastly any recommended dealer to purchase from?

Thanks in adavance

I purchase direct from Schwable, takes a little more time, but they do a god job of getting the tires to one. I also use their tubes which I generally buy on the internet. Often they can be purchased with the more expensive caps which are metal and have a rubber seal to help keep in the air; work really well with schrader valves.

when i spoke to the person on the phone it was more like if you cant find theme else where you can purchase here. Went w/Amazon , wife gets discounts on discounts , ebates, Amazon Prime and best yet, her budget :)

The stock Big Bens are awesome. Great grip and comfort. 2.15" is an good size to have some cushy effect.

when i spoke to the person on the phone it was more like if you cant find theme else where you can purchase here. Went w/Amazon , wife gets discounts on discounts , ebates, Amazon Prime and best yet, her budget :)

gotta love that......I bought the tubes from an un-named internet retailer by the name of Bezos; those tubes with the steel caps are well worth the extra money...

The stock Big Bens are awesome. Great grip and comfort. 2.15" is an good size to have some cushy effect.

Only thing I don't like is the size...not a whole lot of clearance between the stock 2.15 Big Bens and the fenders. Both my partner and I own ST1's and had to tinker with both front and rear fenders in order to not have tire rub. I think my next tires will be 2.0's.

Tai

When the Big Bs wear out on my wife's ST1 i will be doing the same, I have done this already on my ST2, mainly due to the fender rub issues. I need a new front fender ob her bike due to rubbing the inside of screws where the connector to the frame , where the light is mounted. They are loose and I cant tighten them, they are rubbed smooth. The rear is worse with the rack not being strong enough to carry a spare battery in each pannier eventually bends the arms on the rack.

We have Thudbusters and Bodyfloats along w/suspension forks on are bikes so I dont miss the balloon tires really. I may get a little less rolling resistance, more range and a little more torque since the outside diameter is a tad smaller

Last edited:
I had two blowouts on the way home last night after the 22mile road idiot. At 22.5, in front of a beat down strip mall, had a massive blowout. I replaced a back tire on ST1x "Paladin" Tuesday evening, so this was a surprise. The tire was the Schwable Big Apple Plus. The blowout happened so fast, I rode the rim in shock for about 30 feet, then rode it some more to get off the sidewalk into the strip mall parking lot. I just assumed the tire lost its seat and replaced the tube. I did remark to myself how easily the tire went back on. Paladin's rear end is much heavier than Utica's (ST2s), so changing the tire was a bit fumbly, but 20 min later, I'm back to pedaling. Mind you, I've fixed flat tires on the road for on both bikes several times now. 1.5 miles later in front of Hellyucks at 24 and Van Dyke, a slow motion flat and the tire came off the rim. Upon further investigation, I see that the wire has separated from the tire. The wire bead must have popped a hole in the tube. Whelp, I only carry one spare tube and the tire was shot, so I had to call my friend Brian. Thankfully Brian gave me a ride home. I don't trust the wire beads as much. In the photo, you can see the wire bead poking out of the casing. I'm going to order folding kevlar bead tires from now on. I'm looking at the continental top contact 2.0 that came on my ST2s.

Attachments

• 19232.jpeg
    19232.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 663
I had two blowouts on the way home last night after the 22mile road idiot. At 22.5, in front of a beat down strip mall, had a massive blowout. I replaced a back tire on ST1x "Paladin" Tuesday evening, so this was a surprise. The tire was the Schwable Big Apple Plus. The blowout happened so fast, I rode the rim in shock for about 30 feet, then rode it some more to get off the sidewalk into the strip mall parking lot. I just assumed the tire lost its seat and replaced the tube. I did remark to myself how easily the tire went back on. Paladin's rear end is much heavier than Utica's (ST2s), so changing the tire was a bit fumbly, but 20 min later, I'm back to pedaling. Mind you, I've fixed flat tires on the road for on both bikes several times now. 1.5 miles later in front of Hellyucks at 24 and Van Dyke, a slow motion flat and the tire came off the rim. Upon further investigation, I see that the wire has separated from the tire. The wire bead must have popped a hole in the tube. Whelp, I only carry one spare tube and the tire was shot, so I had to call my friend Brian. Thankfully Brian gave me a ride home. I don't trust the wire beads as much. In the photo, you can see the wire bead poking out of the casing. I'm going to order folding kevlar bead tires from now on. I'm looking at the continental top contact 2.0 that came on my ST2s.

Since I commute all 4 seasons, going tubeless (Schwalbe almotions) has been serving me well. I lock my bike indoors at both places, so I don't think the sealant is drying up.
No flat in the last 2000+ miles.

Since I commute all 4 seasons, going tubeless (Schwalbe almotions) has been serving me well. I lock my bike indoors at both places, so I don't think the sealant is drying up.
No flat in the last 2000+ miles.

I've been thinking about running tubeless year round, but here in Michigan, it's dang cold from mid november to april. I have a 35 min commute on ebike. Everything i've read says sealants and cold weather don't mix and it makes sense. So I figured my winter beater will be tube. I will look at the almotions though, thanks.

I've been thinking about running tubeless year round, but here in Michigan, it's dang cold from mid november to april. I have a 35 min commute on ebike. Everything i've read says sealants and cold weather don't mix and it makes sense. So I figured my winter beater will be tube. I will look at the almotions though, thanks.

For me, it has not been a problem as I park my bike indoors at both ends of my commute.
At 20mph, with 200lbs load, there tires generate quite a bit of energy from friction and I don't think it should thicken the sealant as long as the bike is not left outside for long periods but I do understand your concern.
E-bike commute in MI is truly for the dedicated ones. Kudos on that.

For me, it has not been a problem as I park my bike indoors at both ends of my commute.
At 20mph, with 200lbs load, there tires generate quite a bit of energy from friction and I don't think it should thicken the sealant as long as the bike is not left outside for long periods but I do understand your concern.
E-bike commute in MI is truly for the dedicated ones. Kudos on that.

I may give it a try, with tubes as a backup in case i flat. The tubes have been just a PITA this year for me. Yes, I store my bike indoors on both ends, so it's only 35~45 min outside each way. What could go wrong, haha. Thanks.

I put a pair of Schwalbe Marathon GT 365s on for riding this winter. I haven’t been in snow yet, and I don’t plan to ride when it’s really slick or icy. They’re not as soft as the OEM Big Bens, but they ride well and have much, much better traction in the rain. I do have tire liners and Slime tubes in hope of avoiding changing a tire when it’s below freezing. I keep the bike indoors when I’m not riding, so the sealant shouldn’t pool and freeze and throw thee wells out of balance.

Our roads (near Gaylord MI) are already snow and ice packed. I've fallen on two wheels on icy roads before and won't do it again. Looks like my bike season is over. Kudos to you guys that brave the ice

I’d highly recommend continental top contact winter tires. They have made a world of difference in the rain compared to the stock big Bens. The ride is a little harsher but the grip feels 10x better on wet cold roads. Their compound will stay pliable with the added sipes will help the tire grip in cold weather whereas the Big Bens skidded and slipped. I’m tempted to run them year round even though they’ll likely wear out faster and feel slower in the summer just in case of an unexpected rain. I added slime tubes along with rhinodillo tire liners since there’s always seems to be some glass somewhere on my commute and don’t want to have to repair a flat on the ST2 without a bike stand especially if it’s dark and rainy.

the 1.9" are a bit narrow, but I will use them until I can find something wider. The W106 bite well enough in a straight line on ice, but cornering is another thing. Had a sketchy moment around a corner and actually did it once because of a construction zone with guys parked on the sidewalk (I could not unclip fast enough - slow motion fall over) Totally thread-jacked the original intent of the first post. Oops, haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_073130308.jpg
    IMG_20181116_073130308.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 590
I was just looking at Bluecat’s photos of the green ST3. That’s the first time I’ve seen the tread pattern of the new Pirellis. Does anyone know whether a 26” version is planned? I loved the ride of the Big Bens that came with my ST2 from the factory, but their handling in rain made me nervous about riding when it is wet outside. I’d love to try a pair of the Pirellis.

I was just looking at Bluecat’s photos of the green ST3. That’s the first time I’ve seen the tread pattern of the new Pirellis. Does anyone know whether a 26” version is planned? I loved the ride of the Big Bens that came with my ST2 from the factory, but their handling in rain made me nervous about riding when it is wet outside. I’d love to try a pair of the Pirellis.

They will be available early 2019. Possible Feb.
But they only come in 27.5" size.
The ones on ST5 are slightly more expensive than the ones on ST3. I spent few minutes last weekend riding the ST5, the tires look REALLY beefy with a LOT of grip.
They cost about $90 a piece, too expensive for a bike tire but then Pirellis are not known for budget tires.

Back