New ST2 Owner - Thrills and Frustrations

L7T

Picked up a new ST2 at Mike's Bikes last Sunday and it's been great fun with some frustrations.

The Fun
ER
  • Sunday night ride in the dark bombing around like a child on his first bike ride. Took awhile to get used to the amazing speed and near-instant accelaration. Of course I rode in power level 3 and the torque sensor was on high, which I've since moved down a few clicks.
  • Two commutes - about 30 miles each way with the following rough metrics:
    • 30 miles, 1724ft elevation gain, averaged 19 mph. First half of trip at Power 2, second half at Power 3. Moving time - 1 hr 34 mins. Power consumption: 64%
    • 30.5 miles, 1514 ft elevation gain, averaged 19 mph. Power 3 entire ride. Power consumption: 87%.
    • 29.3 miles, 2151 elevation gain (seems high, but that's what Strava recorded ... did take a different route, so possible). Average speed 21.1 mph (due to route with fewer stops). Power 3 entire ride, except for powering down to 1 or 2 on some trails. Moving time: 1 hr 23 mins. Power consumption: 78%
    • 30.1 miles, 2216 elevation gain. Average speed 19.9 mph. Power 3 entire ride. Moving time 1 hr 30 mins. Power consumption: 78% (although in my first 3 miles of mostly uphill into strong wind I lost 10% power).
  • No negative shout-outs yet, but some smirks from strong riders wondering how anyone could possibly be passing them uphill.
The Frustration

• I bought the Bike during Mike's Bikes Annual sale, so there was minimal support and I was told to come back mid-week to have the bike synched. Understandable as they were mobbed, but disappointing nonetheless.
  • Battery compartment locking issue. As others pointed out, if you turn the key too far when removing the battery, the key is almost impossible to remove. I removed the battery at work to charge it and simply left the key in the unit, thinking I'd deal with it when I replaced the battery. Of course, once I replaced the charged battery, the key would not remove and the battery compartment would not close. Ultimately, I reached into the unit and was able to push against the internal spring while turning to key to release it. I've since followed the advice of others to barely turn the key to release the battery.
  • Activation and Synching. I went back to Mike's Bikes and spent about 30 minutes there. At first they had a problem with the various codes on my bike didn't match what they had in their system. They took all of the information after several attempts and took all of my information. Later the next day, I finally received an email from Stromer with a link to confirm the activation. All good, right? Nope. I never received a PIN and my bike has no bars or "G" (just the Zero with the line through it), so I can't synch with the iPhone App or more important, use the locking feature. I've been in communication with Stromer support over the past few days and am told they're working on it.
  • Pulsing. Voted "yes" on the pulsing survey. I haven't quite isolated exactly when this happens; I recall from my last ride that as I was hitting level ground after a climb in power level 3, the pulsing occurred, almost as if the motor were gasping a bit from the climb. After several more seconds and upshifting and focusing on a smooth pedal stroke with stronger effort, I noticed it smoothed out.

Thanks for all the great info on the Stromer Forum. I'm excited to work through the kinks on the bike!

Congratulations! While the ST2 is a good bike there are some things that were executed poorly. Registration is not seamless or quick, the manual is all but useless for detail on what each software command does or does not do, the charging port cover is substandard, and the group set is a hodgepodge of Shimano parts. However, there are also many things that Stromer did very well and, once you get all the nits out of the way, the riding experience and the range is very very good. The Omni system was ambitious especially for a company that is not in the software business. You can definitely tell that the software is what I would call "beta" stage and the resolution of the display reminds me of the original gameboy. One of my favorite parts of the bike is the bell. You can tell that a lot of thought and engineering went into its design.

We are in the very very early stages of ebike development and I anticipate that in a decade or so, we will all laugh at the rudimentary implementation of today's current feature set.

Perhaps my favorite feature in the phone app is the store locator. I am comforted knowing that if I have a problem on the road in the SF Bay Area, I can hit the store locator and find the nearest German or Swiss dealer....(laugh)

Enjoy the ride!

Congratulations! While the ST2 is a good bike there are some things that were executed poorly. Registration is not seamless or quick, the manual is all but useless for detail on what each software command does or does not do, the charging port cover is substandard, and the group set is a hodgepodge of Shimano parts. However, there are also many things that Stromer did very well and, once you get all the nits out of the way, the riding experience and the range is very very good. The Omni system was ambitious especially for a company that is not in the software business. You can definitely tell that the software is what I would call "beta" stage and the resolution of the display reminds me of the original gameboy. One of my favorite parts of the bike is the bell. You can tell that a lot of thought and engineering went into its design.

We are in the very very early stages of ebike development and I anticipate that in a decade or so, we will all laugh at the rudimentary implementation of today's current feature set.

Perhaps my favorite feature in the phone app is the store locator. I am comforted knowing that if I have a problem on the road in the SF Bay Area, I can hit the store locator and find the nearest German or Swiss dealer....(laugh)

Enjoy the ride!
Don't worry my app shows all the Mikes bikes. So you could go to any mikes bikes were they have no clue. No service or experience on electric bikes.

Great! I've used the ST2 as a commuter bike. My mobile phone is canadian brand, so I never used the "app" - and I never missed it. But I clearly see the (marketing) potential of such things. And as seen at the Eurobike, the copycats already started.

Don't worry my app shows all the Mikes bikes. So you could go to any mikes bikes were they have no clue. No service or experience on electric bikes.
really shows mikes bikes??? My app only shows european dealers....mmmmmm

Back