New ST1

Peadar

Just got my new Elite ST1 last week from NYCE Wheels in NY. Fast delivery. Relatively easy set up with basic tools, although one needs some mechanical knowledge. Thanks all for posting the codes which don't come with the bike! So far so good, its riding like a dream, very solid feel to the bike (I had a Currie last year which now in comparison felt very cheap and gave much trouble in electronics, without much love back from Currie by phone, although the REI bike guys where I bought it - to be fair - tried their best). I eventually returned it. Anyhow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this more expensive venture into the E bike world will be a better experience. My wife has had a trouble free step through Stromer sport also bought from NYCE wheels last year, which prompted me to similar invest. I live in chilly past of central North Carolina, so the bike will be great for the work commute and tooling around town, although there is no Stromer dealer nearby, so that makes me a little nervous......more to follow after a month or two.

Congratulations! I too live in North Carolina (Chapel Hill) and bought my Stromer ST1 from NYCE Wheels. I have had it for 2 years with, fortunately, no problems.

Without a Stromer dealer anywhere near me, I have taken mine to REI for tune-ups. They love both my Haibike and Stromer.

Oh thats great thanks, I didn't know REI would service it, good to know in case I have any trouble. They are good guys in the REI bike shop for sure. The other bike shops around town seem to dislike E bikes! From a purist standpoint I think....?
Cheers.

Oops.....typos in first posting - "hilly part of NC" was what it was supposed to read (Carrboro / Chapel Hill)....

Hi guys, I am considering moving from my Izip E3 Dash to one of the new Stromers. Maybe the ST2 sport or with suspension. I live in Highlands NC at 4000 ft so very mountainous. How do your bikes do on the hills, steep grades?

Sorry for delay. I love the ST1 so far, but bear in mind I only have it a week or so, and the heavy recent rain has meant I haven't been able to ride it too much. But I think its streets ahead of the iZIP dash that I had last year (briefly).
The Elite has good torque for hills, and the ones I have, that I have tested around Chapel Hill / Carrboro have felt much easier on the eBike than a traditional bike. The ST2 was a little rich for my blood......and the Platinum supposedly has less torque but more top speed. Maybe MLWilcox above can advise re your question?

Thanks Peadar. I have had issues with the Dash as well. The replaced the rear wheel but it but the speed pedelac still feels like it is holding back at time. Does the geometry of the STi feel similar to the Dash? I will have to buy it without riding it and have looked at the specs. They seem similar. I will call NYCE Wheels and ask a few questions. Do you feel you would want to have front suspension on your ST1? Thanks again.

Thanks Peadar. I have had issues with the Dash as well. The replaced the rear wheel but it but the speed pedelac still feels like it is holding back at time. Does the geometry of the STi feel similar to the Dash? I will have to buy it without riding it and have looked at the specs. They seem similar. I will call NYCE Wheels and ask a few questions. Do you feel you would want to have front suspension on your ST1? Thanks again.
The geometry on July ST1 is gorgeous. And so far I don't think I need the suspension fork (but then again I'm not off road much). It feels really solid. See the picture. I've kitted it with a rack front Mudguard and a few other little odds and ends. I love it so far!
P.
image.jpeg

Hi Ralph,
Having ridden both Dash and ST1, I can share a few things.
I remember that you did change stem/handlebar on your Dash?
I remember the story of you talking to Larry and he sending you some regional rep etc and finally you decided on a medium frame Dash. Going by that data, a comfort frame ST1 will suit you better. 17" comfort frame has different geometry compared to sport frame and elevates the handlebar.
The stock suspension on ST1 or ST2 is not good. It's a basic Suntour Raidon that does ok job in mitigating the shock vibration. The difference between Carbon fork and suspension fork is not that pronounced in the case of Stromer. BodyFloat will have much more impact and you can lower the front tire PSi to 32 ish to smooth out your ride.

If money wasn't an issue and if I were in your position, I would go with ST2- a comfort frame, Ergon grips w/bar ends and a BodyFloat ( a good combo for performance and comfort).

Hi Ralph,
Having ridden both Dash and ST1, I can share a few things.
I remember that you did change stem/handlebar on your Dash?
I remember the story of you talking to Larry and he sending you some regional rep etc and finally you decided on a medium frame Dash. Going by that data, a comfort frame ST1 will suit you better. 17" comfort frame has different geometry compared to sport frame and elevates the handlebar.
The stock suspension on ST1 or ST2 is not good. It's a basic Suntour Raidon that does ok job in mitigating the shock vibration. The difference between Carbon fork and suspension fork is not that pronounced in the case of Stromer. BodyFloat will have much more impact and you can lower the front tire PSi to 32 ish to smooth out your ride.

If money wasn't an issue and if I were in your position, I would go with ST2- a comfort frame, Ergon grips w/bar ends and a BodyFloat ( a good combo for performance and comfort).
I better come clean here and say I'm nowhere near a bike expert and feel a little out if my depth on some of this!

Peadar, your bike is gorgeous and thanks for the response. Just looking at it, you can tell it is a high end bike. No doubt about it.
I don't think the two bikes even compare. Stormer looks way better.

Ravi, your memory is clear and correct. The medium Dash is a challenge for me and I have raised the stem. It was indeed with Larry Pizzi's help that I got in to the dash, but as much as I like it, I feel like I can now do a lot better. I was thinking of the ST2 with comfort frame as you say. The ST2s is too over the top. I have a Thudbuster on mine because the BodyFloat raises the seat too much. Do you think it would be fine on the Comfort frame?

As you know, I most ride on Amelia Island where I live in the Winter. It is flat and my rides are with a bunch of old guys like me around 70 that do 20-30 mile rides. I am at my limit with the 48v Dash as far as distance so the Stromer is a attractive with it's big battery. Where do you think I should source it from Chris? or NYCE?

Peadar, your bike is gorgeous and thanks for the response. Just looking at it, you can tell it is a high end bike. No doubt about it.
I don't think the two bikes even compare. Stormer looks way better.

Ravi, your memory is clear and correct. The medium Dash is a challenge for me and I have raised the stem. It was indeed with Larry Pizzi's help that I got in to the dash, but as much as I like it, I feel like I can now do a lot better. I was thinking of the ST2 with comfort frame as you say. The ST2s is too over the top. I have a Thudbuster on mine because the BodyFloat raises the seat too much. Do you think it would be fine on the Comfort frame?

As you know, I most ride on Amelia Island where I live in the Winter. It is flat and my rides are with a bunch of old guys like me around 70 that do 20-30 mile rides. I am at my limit with the 48v Dash as far as distance so the Stromer is a attractive with it's big battery. Where do you think I should source it from Chris? or NYCE?

Well, Ralph...
  1. Body Float doesn't raise the seat any more than TB.
    17" comfort frame will actually have slightly lower stack height compared to the Dash (both because of the geometry and 26" wheels Vs 700C wheels on the Dash), so I think you'll be fine.

2. ST2 will be nice because you'll have enormous range and when they release the 1Kwhr battery next year, you can upgrade and potentially have enough range for full-day riding (say 80-100 miles). If you're going ~20ish avg mph, current battery gives you 65 miles easily.

3. I can't say who you should it get it from because I myself am involved with Lenny @Crazy Lenny Ebikes.
    Coming back, I know Chris and he is a great guy and has wonderful selection of bikes. NYCE wheels - excellent folks. Actually, they won the East Coast dealer of the year award for Stromer. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
Ravi, Thanks. I appreciate your help and insight. I will check out Crazy Lenny Ebikes. I am not familiar with him. Is he a Stromer dealer? Stormer has a promo now with an extra battery with the bike purchase but I guess I am buying a 2015 now rather than a 2016.
I wonder when the 2016 will be available.

Ralph - I bought my Stromer from NYCE wheels and my Haibike from Lenny's. Great experience from both but got a far better deal on the Haibike from Lenny's. I would definitely call both and check on pricing.

The Stromer is a great e-bike but heavy. It doesn't bother me while riding at all. I only notice it when I transport it on my bike rack. Definitely not fun to lift. The geometry of the step through really makes for a comfortable ride.

ML, Thanks. I will call both. I recently bought a Kuat NV two bike rack. It is really stable but weighs 50lbs. I am sure after putting on the rack, mounting the bike will be no fun as you say.

I will give both NYCE and Lenny a call. I hear that dealers are very competitive. I have seen the 2015 Dash with a 33% discount so you know the markups are sizable. I appreciate your response.

Ralph - I bought my Stromer from NYCE wheels and my Haibike from Lenny's. Great experience from both but got a far better deal on the Haibike from Lenny's. I would definitely call both and check on pricing.

The Stromer is a great e-bike but heavy. It doesn't bother me while riding at all. I only notice it when I transport it on my bike rack. Definitely not fun to lift. The geometry of the step through really makes for a comfortable ride.
Wow so Lenny shipped from Wisconsin? I hadn't been aware of him. Have to say nyce did a good job. Wife and I were in the actual store last year, test ride her Stromer sport and although it's a tiny shop, they seem to know their business.

Wow so Lenny shipped from Wisconsin? I hadn't been aware of him. Have to say nyce did a good job. Wife and I were in the actual store last year, test ride her Stromer sport and although it's a tiny shop, they seem to know their business.
Darn. I didn't even try to negotiate the price on my ST1. I assumed all the same.......

Lenny is having a half-off sale on New Years 2016. If you've been considering getting a new e-bike, tomorrow is the day to pull the trigger. I called today to ask about things, and of course he was willing to give me the deal early as I'm sure tomorrow he'll be swamped. I picked up the ST1 Elite and added a SuperNova City Kit - I won't say the price as I promised not to, but you can do the math (re-read the first sentence). Shipping is based on cost to get it to you, so for me in Northern California it was $190. Very happy to get a very nice e-bike for a very nice price.

Congrats on the ST1, I still love the look of the murdered out ST1. Quick question though. I noticed you said you had the iZip E3 Dash? I really like how the price point on the Dash is lower but you get all the performance (top speed) of the Stromers.
Mind comparing and contrasting the two bikes? I have an ST2 and a Bomber, but wondering if the Dash wouldn't make a good 2nd or 3rd bike?

Hi guys, I am considering moving from my Izip E3 Dash to one of the new Stromers. Maybe the ST2 sport or with suspension. I live in Highlands NC at 4000 ft so very mountainous. How do your bikes do on the hills, steep grades?

The ST2 rips up even the steepest hills here in SoCal, especially when given a minimal running start. What separates the ST2 from so many other bikes is how incredibly refined and torquey it is (especially for a hub motor).

Back