New Schwalbe Marathon E Plus

Gary K

For those of you who want the new Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus, you don't have to wait until March of 2020 to get them. I ordered my set of 28 x 2.15 (622 x 55mm) from Bike- Discount.com in Frankfort, Germany three weeks ago and received them yesterday 1/19/2020. I spoke to North American Schwalbe and they informed me that these tires would not be available in the US until March of this year. Schwalbe North America lists them for $57 each. So, I went on line and searched for suppliers and Bike-Discount.com came up. I got two Marathon E Plus tires for......$57.80 total ($28.90 each) plus $24 shipping to the US, Michigan. These were in US dollars too.
Bike-Discount was easy to work with and received e-mails and shipping info almost immediately. I also ordered a new air shock ( SR Suntour Mobie 45) for my 2018 Giant Explore E3 and plan to install fork and tires this month so I'll be ready to go in the spring. Pics to follow after install.

Attachments

• schwalbemaraTHONEPLUS2.jpg
    schwalbemaraTHONEPLUS2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,294
  • schwalbemaraTHONEPLUS1.jpg
    schwalbemaraTHONEPLUS1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,948
Great looking tires, should be a much smoother ride than the stock tires and the Schwalbe Marathon Plus (no E). Once you get them on and take them for a ride post a review to let us know how you like them!

Well done... can you post a photo of the tires when mounted on your rims and bike?

Last edited:
For those of you who want the new Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus, you don't have to wait until March of 2020 to get them. I ordered my set of 28 x 2.15 (622 x 55mm) from Bike- Discount.com in Frankfort, Germany three weeks ago and received them yesterday 1/19/2020. I spoke to North American Schwalbe and they informed me that these tires would not be available in the US until March of this year. Schwalbe North America lists them for $57 each. So, I went on line and searched for suppliers and Bike-Discount.com came up. I got two Marathon E Plus tires for......$57.80 total ($28.90 each) plus $24 shipping to the US, Michigan. These were in US dollars too.
Bike-Discount was easy to work with and received e-mails and shipping info almost immediately. I also ordered a new air shock ( SR Suntour Mobie 45) for my 2018 Giant Explore E3 and plan to install fork and tires this month so I'll be ready to go in the spring. Pics to follow after install.
I'm looking for a replacement fork also ; for the E4 , as that models standard fork coil is spec'ed for a rider weighing 140-160 lbs.
Why did you choose the SR Suntour Mobie 45 ?

The E3 doesn't have fenders if I'm not mistaken... I have a 2019 E+1 with fenders and the stock tires are 622 x 45. I'm afraid that a 622 x 55 would be too wide and interfere with the fenders. Not to mention changing the speed and distance readout. The 622 x 47 would probably be my best bet.

Thanks very much for the pointer to Bike-Discount. Our riding season probably won't start until the end of March (snow and ice) but I'm going to order a set to be ready.

What tubes did you buy? And are you filling them with slime?

Great looking tires, should be a much smoother ride than the stock tires and the Schwalbe Marathon Plus (no E). Once you get them on and take them for a ride post a review to let us know how you like them!
And the Scwalbe warehouse is close to where I live in Ferndale, Washington, just 40 miles south of Vancouver!

I'm going to use the same inner tubes from my Schwalbe Smart Sam tires. According to the Schwalbe web site, the same inner tube can be used for a little wider tires size 19. Since the Marathon e plus tire has the best puncture resistance on any Schwalbe tires and stronger side walls I'm not going to be filling with Slime or any other product, for now. As far as the front shock that came with my Explore, after I set the sag on my SR Suntour E-25 shock and there wasn't much travel and rode as hard as a rock even though I didn't have the right fork locked out. I wanted an air shock for comfort, no coil. I only found the SR Suntour Mobie 45 and Rockshox Gold qualified to fit my ride design for my Explore. There is not much available for e-bikes in this category with about 60mm of travel. According to the replacement guides from the web, you should never go more travel than 20mm over what the designers of the bike called for travel. That said, the Mobie 45 can be used as 60mm, 80mm or 100mm of travel if disassembled and put back together chosing the 80 - 100 mm of travel. I might experiment later, we'll see. Since I don't have fenders on my Explore E 3 I was'nt concerned with the tire width except that it fit between the forks. According to the Mobie 45 specs It would accept the 2.15 tire (55). I'll post pics when I have the fork and tires mounted sometime this month.
It is really strange that I could get my Schwalbe tires for half price ordering them from Germany and shipping them to the US. I prefer doing business with my LBS when I can but they wouldn't be able to get them either until late March 2020 and if these tires are in that much demand I didn't want to lose out on the purchase.

And the Scwalbe warehouse is close to where I live in Ferndale, Washington, just 40 miles south of Vancouver!

Originally both the Schwalbe North America warehouse and main office were here in Victoria. These days only the main office is, with the warehouse having moved to your locale. :)

Schwalbe North America was initially a small company called Moser that was importing Schwalbe product when few in North America had heard of them. They were so successful, that Schwalbe eventually bought them. Some entrepreneur made a killing there. :)

I'm going to use the same inner tubes from my Schwalbe Smart Sam tires. According to the Schwalbe web site, the same inner tube can be used for a little wider tires size 19. Since the Marathon e plus tire has the best puncture resistance on any Schwalbe tires and stronger side walls I'm not going to be filling with Slime or any other product, for now. As far as the front shock that came with my Explore, after I set the sag on my SR Suntour E-25 shock and there wasn't much travel and rode as hard as a rock even though I didn't have the right fork locked out. I wanted an air shock for comfort, no coil. I only found the SR Suntour Mobie 45 and Rockshox Gold qualified to fit my ride design for my Explore. There is not much available for e-bikes in this category with about 60mm of travel. According to the replacement guides from the web, you should never go more travel than 20mm over what the designers of the bike called for travel. That said, the Mobie 45 can be used as 60mm, 80mm or 100mm of travel if disassembled and put back together chosing the 80 - 100 mm of travel. I might experiment later, we'll see. Since I don't have fenders on my Explore E 3 I was'nt concerned with the tire width except that it fit between the forks. According to the Mobie 45 specs It would accept the 2.15 tire (55). I'll post pics when I have the fork and tires mounted sometime this month.
It is really strange that I could get my Schwalbe tires for half price ordering them from Germany and shipping them to the US. I prefer doing business with my LBS when I can but they wouldn't be able to get them either until late March 2020 and if these tires are in that much demand I didn't want to lose out on the purchase.
Thanks .
Re: Rockshox ; is that the Paragon Gold ?
Yep Paragon Gold. I liked that the Mobie 45 had more travel (80-100mm) if I chose to try it later.

Installed my new SR Suntour Mobie 45 front air shock and two new Schwalbe Marathon E Plus tires yesterday. Both fork and tires took about 90 minutes to install. Tires went on real easy with almost no tools required. Tire size was 28 x 2.15 or (622-55) and would fit on existing Giant Explore E3 E-25 forks. There appears to be about 1/2 inch clearance on the sides of the wheels front and rear. With the new Mobie 45 there's a ton of room. New Marathon E plus tires even have a reflective white stripe around the tires for night riding and are rated from 30-60 lbs pressure. I can't describe the ride yet until spring due to the crappy salty roads and snow slop here in Michigan, but I expect the ride will be exceptional due to larger tire size and new air fork. As per the pictures, I have also had my front brake cable and shifter cable lengthened to accommodate the new Giant adjustable stem riser and 5 inch bars I've installed to help reduce the reach due to multiple back and shoulder injuries from back in my "fun" years. Hope this helps those of you thinking about changing to larger tires, new faster response forks over the crappy coil E-25s. If your fenders have a tight fit to the frame I believe larger tire would work. I could take closer measurements if you need them. Cant wait until spring!

Attachments

• giantf1.jpg
    giantf1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 808
  • giantf2.jpg
    giantf2.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,124
  • giantf5.jpg
    giantf5.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,771
  • giantf7.jpg
    giantf7.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 802
Installed my new SR Suntour Mobie 45 front air shock and two new Schwalbe Marathon E Plus tires yesterday. Both fork and tires took about 90 minutes to install. Tires went on real easy with almost no tools required. Tire size was 28 x 2.15 or (622-55) and would fit on existing Giant Explore E3 E-25 forks. There appears to be about 1/2 inch clearance on the sides of the wheels front and rear. With the new Mobie 45 there's a ton of room. New Marathon E plus tires even have a reflective white stripe around the tires for night riding and are rated from 30-60 lbs pressure. I can't describe the ride yet until spring due to the crappy salty roads and snow slop here in Michigan, but I expect the ride will be exceptional due to larger tire size and new air fork. As per the pictures, I have also had my front brake cable and shifter cable lengthened to accommodate the new Giant adjustable stem riser and 5 inch bars I've installed to help reduce the reach due to multiple back and shoulder injuries from back in my "fun" years. Hope this helps those of you thinking about changing to larger tires, new faster response forks over the crappy coil E-25s. If your fenders have a tight fit to the frame I believe larger tire would work. I could take closer measurements if you need them. Cant wait until spring!

Well done... it looks like those tires were made for your bike.

Your flat was on one of these new Marathon E-Plus Tires? Was the piece of wire a remnant from a steel belted tire, by chance?
not sure if they are the new ones. they came on my 2019 bike it was a short piece of wire. my last two flats were nails that went in off center. all in a month.

They look nice. Boy are they heavy! I guess that's the price for puncture protection. Can't see myself putting these on a Creo, but definitely an ebike with a bigger motor I wouldn't hesitate to put these on.

They look nice. Boy are they heavy! I guess that's the price for puncture protection. Can't see myself putting these on a Creo, but definitely an ebike with a bigger motor I wouldn't hesitate to put these on.

For reference, the Schwalbe Energizer Plus ranges from 735g to 1210g. So they're a little heavier, but going from Schwalbe's 5th to 7th level of puncture resistance.

Back