New Review Desired

hltmd

Ariel Riders has a complete revamp of their C-class, now with mid-motor and internal geared hub. Very few bikes with those features. Fenders, lights, and hydraulic brakes to boot, all for 1700+ bucks. Would LOVE to see this bike reviewed. Your last was in 2018. Thanks

It's a Dapu mid-drive. They make very good rear hub drives but Dapu mid-drives do not have the best reputation.

It's a Dapu mid-drive. They make very good rear hub drives but Dapu mid-drives do not have the best reputation.

If Dapu motors are as bad as this article says, why in the world would a company with an excellent reputation, like Evelo, risk theirs by putting it in a top of the line bike??? I don't get it.

Evelo told me they worked with Dapu specifically to make this motor for them for the new model. I don't know if that's accurate but that's what a company rep. told me.

It's possible Dapu has worked out the kinks. I just remember this thread a while back. Didn't sound good.

Why Evelo uses a Dapu mid drive? Good question. Maybe they didn't want to pay a premium for a refined euro-spec mid-drive (Yamaha, Shimano, Brose, Bosch), or maybe they wanted throttle or more power than euro spec (250W nominal) and wanted torque sensing but didn't want to go with a Chinese brand like Bafang, so made the investment to develop a motor with Dapu. Sometimes it's hard to stop throwing good money after bad.

tomdav, I found the information in the article you just linked to that made me think the Dapu motor was made specifically for the Evelo Limited. This is part of the quote. Thanks for that link.

"There are still plans for a Dapu motor belt drive Aurora with 3 inch tires. Our communication with Dapu has been very positive and it seems like they will be able to provide a 750watt version of the 500watt motor we got from them as a sample. There is still no ETA on the release date of the Aurora v3 that you are interested in, but educated guesses would make it lat 2019 possibly early 2020."

If you look at the Ariel Rider forum, several have noted problems with the IGH due to the Dapu motor providing more torque than the IGH can handle, and that customer service isn't always the best at addressing issue. Late last year someone else asked about reviewing the new C Class, but EBR seems to be avoiding it and I have to wonder if this is part of the reason.

Back