New owner, old bike

Krixs

Region
Europe
Hello. I recently purchased my first e-bike. It is used Giant dailytour e+2 gts. It came with no battery, cous previous owner gave some thief to fix it and he simply stole the battery. So I ordered new battery and thought I'll have good bike for like 800 euros. Now trying to turn on and as soon as display turns on and goes off after 1 sec. Any advice?

Obvious but worth asking.
Did you fully charge the battery?
Once fully charged, can you measure the battery output to make sure it did in fact charge properly?

Perhaps that's why the previous owner took it to the thief for service. You might have to spend more at the Giant ebike shop. These nicer bikes often need dealer diagnostic gear if it's not an obvious fault like a discharged battery or broken wires.

Perhaps that's why the previous owner took it to the thief for service. You might have to spend more at the Giant ebike shop. These nicer bikes often need dealer diagnostic gear if it's not an obvious fault like a discharged battery or broken wires.
I started to check connections and found that previous owner have tried to work on it. Electrician tape on all wires. He might have sold battery to someone else and made most money he could. Bike looks in very good condition, but once you open it up u find more and more problems :(

Oh. Maybe something is shorting out and tripping the BMS? Electrical tape is highly suspect. I would never use that. The tape will break down overtime and become a sticky mess whenever you need to work on it.

I’d think that if it was a fault with a component, say ebrake, pas sensor…etc, you would get an error code. Since the whole bike shuts down, I’m guessing a metallic fault.

If it were my project, I’d start by disconnecting the cable from the controller that goes to all the other devices, disconnect those devices. It’ll be easier to identify faults with the cable open at both ends. I’m assuming this is a 9 pin plug at the controller. Probing each pin will be tedious, but seems necessary in this case. A used bike, with shady/vague history deserves a complete over look at everything, mechanical and electrical.

Back