New Old Girl

mathwiz

Region
USA
I’m from PA. My sons got together and bought me a Turbo Como 4.0 for Christmas 2021. While I LOVE it, I have been quite intimidated by it. It’s a LOT of bike for me!!!
I didnt ride it much last year, but I’m riding more this year and am highly motivated!
I’m looking forward to learning new things on this site! Transporting it is a challenge, and I need a comfortable seat. I am very open to ideas and suggestions.

Welcome to the fourm. Looks like a great bike. It can be really hard to find the right saddle. You might try some place like REI where you know they'll let you return one if you don't like it. Either that or develop an iron butt.

TT

Welcome aboard! We've had several lengthy butt pain discussions just in the last 2 months. Many different approaches to combatting this common problem, some more expensive and time-consuming than others

Unfortunately, everyone's butt is different. What works for one rider or bike might make things worse for you, and vice versa. The forum's got a pretty good search function, so I recommend looking over some of that material — if nothing else, to pick up on the lingo and see some of the options.

One thing to keep in mind: A saddle with more padding can easily make things worse if it's in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Welcome. As far as transporting, given the heavy weight of ebikes, most people prefer a hitch mounted bike rack as it is lower to the ground and therefore easier to lift the bike onto. If your vehicle does not have a tow hitch there are trunk and/or hatch mounts that don't require lifting the bike up high to get it on the rack. And always remove the battery before transporting. The Como is designed to be a comfy and rider-upright bike, but I have found that a suspension seat post is a must and also a wider type saddle; particularly with an upright design where more of your weight is on the saddle as opposed to your arms with a rider-forward type bike.

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 113
  • R.jpg
    R.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 116
  • OIP (1).jpg
    OIP (1).jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Of all the seat comfort aids I've tried over the years, the two that made the most difference for me were a quality suspension seatpost and padded undershorts.

If you have a vehicle with a receiver hitch and a budget to support it, there are electric lift racks available to ease the problem of lifting a heavy ebike.

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions.

Platform racks with optional ramp should help with loading, just wheel bike on. Can even use walk mode which you should learn how to use. If you don't know what that is see your manual, youtube or Courtney will have videos on how it works.

Thule make great racks while expensive make easy work of transporting a bike. Youtube is great place for reviews and to see how they work. Just make sure you lock rack or hitch to car. Most hitches have pin and clip, can be replaced with pin that has lock on end.

I’m from PA. My sons got together and bought me a Turbo Como 4.0 for Christmas 2021. While I LOVE it, I have been quite intimidated by it. It’s a LOT of bike for me!!!
I didnt ride it much last year, but I’m riding more this year and am highly motivated!
I’m looking forward to learning new things on this site! Transporting it is a challenge, and I need a comfortable seat. I am very open to ideas and suggestions.
Is there any way you can ride just a few miles around where your house is? You wouldn’t have to transport it that way. Start with just a few miles and work up to more. Having a sore butt is part of cycling. You can try different saddles, the big poofy ones aren’t always the most comfortable.

My butt gets sore after a few miles and I get numb hands and feet after several miles on my Vado. Stop pedaling and stand up on the pedals slightly to relieve the pressure whenever you need to. For my numb hands I just shake them from time to time.

Keep at it, you’ll get stronger and have fun doing it. Don’t be afraid to use more assist if you’re tired, you’re legs are still moving and you’re getting exercise.

Platform racks with optional ramp should help with loading, just wheel bike on. Can even use walk mode which you should learn how to use. If you don't know what that is see your manual, youtube or Courtney will have videos on how it works.

Thule make great racks while expensive make easy work of transporting a bike. Youtube is great place for reviews and to see how they work. Just make sure you lock rack or hitch to car. Most hitches have pin and clip, can be replaced with pin that has lock on end.
We carry two 65-pound ebikes on this pricey Thule rack with ramps on a Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV. Loading isn't bad. Still need photos taken at the LBS to remember how to clamp the step-thru frames onto the rack, as that part's a little tricky, but I'll learn eventually.

No idea how this rack would be rated for RV use, but Thule customer service might be able to advise you on that point.

The Thule rack with ramps described in the post I responded to. Look it up. You have all the info needed to find it yourself.
You don't know which rack your using? Obviously there are many Thule racks and I thought I would ask cuz it sounded like you might have attached a pic when you wrote "this rack", and I was not sure if I am not seeing the pics for some reason. I am looking for the right ramp-loading rack. Thanks for the help.

You don't know which rack your using? Obviously there are many Thule racks and I thought I would ask cuz it sounded like you might have attached a pic when you wrote "this rack", and I was not sure if I am not seeing the pics for some reason. I am looking for the right ramp-loading rack. Thanks for the help.
Bought the rack 8 months ago. Didn't recall the model name, didn't go out to the garage to see, didn't take a picture. Just tried to help the OP with the info I had from memory.

When I searched on "thule bike rack with ramps" just now, the first 25+ hits were for the one I have — the Thule EasyFold XT. As mentioned previously, it holds 2 bikes.

I’ve only been on this site 2 days. I have a Thule rack with ramps. I bought it last year, but yesterday was the first time I put it on my RAV4. I have a Turbo Como 4.0 in the Large wheelbase. To me, it doesnt seem like it should fit this way on the rack. But, I am new to all of this. Bike seems secure on the rack. It seems like the wheel platform should be longer.

Attachments

• 9DE9D3FF-54D2-4AA4-A952-B04FF72C3D35.jpeg
    9DE9D3FF-54D2-4AA4-A952-B04FF72C3D35.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 140
Welcome aboard! We've had several lengthy butt pain discussions just in the last 2 months. Many different approaches to combatting this common problem, some more expensive and time-consuming than others

Unfortunately, everyone's butt is different. What works for one rider or bike might make things worse for you, and vice versa. The forum's got a pretty good search function, so I recommend looking over some of that material — if nothing else, to pick up on the lingo and see some of the options.

One thing to keep in mind: A saddle with more padding can easily make things worse if it's in the wrong place.
Regarding the seat on my Turbo como 4.0–it is VERY uncomfortable for me. I have owned several bikes in the past and nothing comes close to how uncomfortable this seat is. I know there are many styles and designs to choose from, I was hoping someone would give a starting point!

Regarding the seat on my Turbo como 4.0–it is VERY uncomfortable for me. I have owned several bikes in the past and nothing comes close to how uncomfortable this seat is. I know there are many styles and designs to choose from, I was hoping someone would give a starting point!
Wish I could offer a good place to start, but I lack the expertise in this very complicated subject.

One thing you could try is to start a new thread in the appropriate Specialized forum with a much more specific title like "Very uncomfortable Specialized Turbo Como 4.0 saddle". That way, people familiar with the saddle and potential fixes would be much more likely to see it and respond.

Another thing to consider is that the Como is designed to put you in a more upright stance, so more weight is on the saddle.
Have you owned a rider upright bike before the Como? If not, could be the cause of the unprecedented discomfort in the seat/Keester.

Back